Cyber Garden (2013)

HouseCostume National
PerfumerAntoine Lie
Parent CompanyKao > Kanebo > Maxibell

About Cyber Garden

Cyber Garden is a masculine fragrance by Costume National. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Lie

Cyber Garden fragrance notes

Reviews of Cyber Garden

A supposedly avant-garde (but actually partially un-original) robotic accord of liquid pepper, fluidy vetiver, plastic molecules (a sort of xerox-toner vague aftersmell), metallic citrus, coumarine, electrical mint, gassy fern, grapefruit, limonene, cetalox, galaxolide, calone, citronellol/geraniol, and aromatic powdery cedarwood. Sincerely, I appreciate (moderately) this Antoine Lie's use of synthetic and the conceptual message behind the aroma, a metallurgical cybernetic green garden, something vaguely in the middle between the Andrea Maack's vegetal dissonance, a Humiecki&Graef-like detergent feel and the CdG's plastic liquidity (vaguely a la Odeur 71). I detect in the air a sort of almost gassy-metallic, pencil-shaving like and lemony saffron veined by angular synthetic geranium and a final touch of talky violet (all surrounded by a weird musky-herbal lymphatic "askew" effect). The aromatic lemony woodiness (a sort of almost minty-musky pencil shaving vibe) is in the same vein as Bvlgari Man Extreme (and vaguely Kenzo Air) though in a more fluidy-citric (electric) and less properly woody-cedary (finally ambery) way. Cute bottle.
28th October, 2014
A rather common "contemporary" green scent, with bitter-sour crunchy and minty green notes (verbena, ivy), with a metallic satin-finish, a light woody base and a subtle floral hint which may be geranium or carnation. I thought of Geranium pour Monsieur (especially the new version) and more broadly, many recent green CdG scents. Sadly Cyber Garden lacks in "something" which made it stand on its own and enhanced its artificial soul – a more creative use of synthetics. Must say I rarely like Antoine Lie style, which to me sounds a bit derivative and dull, and also generally based on pouring three-four Takasago ingredients in the same load of aldehydes. "Meh" for me.

20th June, 2014
synthetic to the bone...another take on amazingreen!
13th May, 2014
Kaern Show all reviews
I might well never have tested except for the perfumer. I don't like 'green' fragrances as a rule. Cyber Garden hasn't changed my mind about the genre.

The bottle colour (green if my memory serves), the shape and the font are really kind of 'retro' , so at odds with the name, but not the eighties.

The fragrance itself is really very one-dimensional with the emphasis on being 'green' throughout it's journey. It's a green vetiver really + some crowd pleasing violet leaf.

I think Mr Lie was given a strict brief about what Costume National wanted as any inventive moves seem to be completely missing unlike his work for ELdO.

One plus point is the blending -- it'a a very smooth, seamless trip around a garden lawn and I can imagine it being a nice addition for lovers of the genre.

28th March, 2014
The first time I tried this on a blotter it almost made me cringe. If I weren't so fond of Antoine Lie, I would most definitely have dismissed it right away but I so wanted to like it that I grabbed a couple of samples for further exploration.

On skin, it came out being somewhat better. It opens unquestionably mainstream-ish with the usual peppery-citrus combo but an aromatic green floral pattern joins the party right away giving the fragrance a subtle abstract twist. There're violet leaves, hints of minty-geranium and other greens together with a clean musky presence. The fragrance feels transparent and modern but most definitely *not* cyber. Yes, there's something unconventional that might vaguely bring to mind of brand new things, shrink-wrap and vinyl but it's just a hint that, in the end, smells more synthetically modern than futuristic / artsy (as the name of the fragrance would otherwise suggest).

Personally, I tend to attribute this to the artistic direction at Costume National more than to

the perfumer himself. They wanted an avant twist but at the same time they also wanted to please their mainstream customers. What comes out has some potential but doesn't have enough balls to really stand out. Now, not that I expected super-abstract stuff a-la CDG but I didn't think it would have been so tame either.

In the end, I think Cyber Garden is a better attempt at delivering a modern green fragrance than, say, Amazingreen but it's really nothing I would go out of my way to get a bottle. I can't honestly say I dislike it but I surely don't like it either. I seriously believe that a bit more of courage would have turned this fragrance into something really interesting. Barely nice and totally forgettable.

A few more considerations:

All about this fragrance is very middle/late 90s. Too much...even the word *cyber* sounds a bit demodè. Despite that, I was still sort of keen towards it because the involvement of Lie but there's nothing to do, it doesn't work for me. There's something I still have to properly point out that ruins it. I tend to believe it's inherent to the texture which unquestionably screams of *designer perfumery*. It's like one of those pop-songs by whatever main pop-artist (could be Gaga, could be Rihanna, could be anyone else). Super compressed, fizzing and super-sparkling trebles and and overall polish which make it feels too anonymous. Not to talk about the packaging which aims at being minimalistic but ends up looking just cheap. Honestly.
24th March, 2014

Add your review of Cyber Garden

Shop for Cyber Garden products online

Shop for Cyber Garden at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Cyber Garden

Member images of Cyber Garden

There are no member images of Cyber Garden yet. Why not be the first?