Eau de Magnolia (2014)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
SupplierIFF
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Eau de Magnolia

Eau de Magnolia is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Carlos Benaim

Eau de Magnolia fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau de Magnolia

Lunch in the Garden BY Henri Lebasque
26th November, 2017
I'm having a hard time deciding if I like Eau de Magnolia or not. It's one of those perfumes that has a fairly direct smell (limpid flowers) but achieves that via an extremely complex support structure.

So what does it smell like, in depth? It goes on with lollipops of every possible flavor made petite and perfumey with soap and fabric softener musk. But the real star is a mix of orange blossom and rose, made to smell limpid and gorgeously watercolored by a carefully matched piquant vetiver. There's more (for instance a pesky pink pepper that only really shows in the sillage), but the whole point is how the florals are made to smell so evocatively watery with a combination of vetiver and cheap synthetics.

And that's where my problem lies. As much as I am in awe of the limpid florals, I'm turned off by the crass pink pepper/lollipop/fabric softener elements. It's like a fantastic statue carved of the finest marble, but then when you look up close, part of it is clearly made of cheaply molded plastic. If this were almost anyone except for Malle, I'd just vote thumbs up and leave, but I expect more from him. If anyone should be able to do this without stupid pink pepper and lolipops, it's him. So that's why I'm voting neutral.
11th July, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
A touch of bergamot adds a touch of brightness, but this is a product whose name doors not belie is substance and content: the Magnolia is it. A typical, rich, fragrant magnolia, conjuring up childhood memories of the magnolia tree outside the window and its vibrant aroma in times of its blossoming.

On my skin the magnolia is persistently dominating the scene. There are some variations over time, touches of vetiver and some woodsy undercurrents towards the end, but always the Magnolia rules. Even in its dying moments the big M is ever-present.

I am getting moderate sillage, excellent projection and an impressive eleven hours of longevity on my skin, albeit fluctuating in intensity over the last hours.

Floral, magnolia splendor galore. At times a bit monochromatic but never intrusive or very sweet. Well crafted and made of good-quality ingredients. A paradigmatic magnolia creation. 3.5/5.
29th May, 2017
I've gone back and forth between neutral and like with Eau de Magnolia, but eventually the hesitation is too much for a thumbs up.

Still, the interest it generates to cause such hesitatation is noteworthy. One to sample!

What does it smell like? A sharp floral concentrate with synthetic support. It transitions into a clean laundry house-base type smell; and it's a release of the tension, for me, as the top dies out.

Not for me, but interesting.
20th November, 2015
In the garden of my suburban childhood and, later, in parks in the city, the blooming of Magnolia grandiflora at the end of May, beginning of June has always been one of my seasonal olfactory staples. I love the scent those big, white thick flowers give off- fizzy lemony, at the beginning, then honeyed, creamy, waxy, intensely vegetal. I'm also familiar with the peculiar green, sour, decaying note that petals emit when crushed between fingers- so eloquently depicted in another gorgeous magnolia fragrance, Vero Kern Mito.
EdM succeds in rendering the simple yet multifaceted olfactory spectrum of magnolias in a realistic but not just imitative way. Much has been said on Benaim's work on the cologne theme in the opening of this fragrance, but there's more for me to love: notably, the mossy, woody, slightly lemony base that hints to classical chypres- it reminds me of a perfume I used to smell when I was a child that made me think- "this is how I would like to smell when I'll grow up", conjuring fantasies of elegant, indipendent women with slightly flushed skin.
Eau de Magnolia is a lovely fragrance in hot weather, with good sillage and longevity. Its clssical imprint makes it suitable for both casual and elegant, more formal occasions, and totally unisex.
14th May, 2015
This opens with a bright, lemony-fresh floral accord not unlike Le Chevrefeuille by Annick Goutal. This one has a slightly sharper edge, though, due to the aldehydes. This effervescence lasts for a good hour, before settling into a heart of smooth, lightly mossy white woods underpinning the still-lemony floral notes. There is a green & crisp feel here, & l can see how it works as a cologne, but this cologne has a subtle backbone. Although after three hours it appears to go quiet, it is still very present & still going after six hours.
Sadly l have never smelled a real magnolia grandiflora, so l cannot compare this to the scent of the flower, but l think it would make a beautiful spring & early summer fragrance, & l suspect it would really bloom in the heat. lt reminds me a little of Wit by DelRae, a lemony floral based on the daphne flower. Where the lemony note only lasts around fifteen minutes in that one, however, in this one it lasts for the whole life of the fragrance. Very nice, & l look forward to using up my sample now that spring is here!
31st March, 2015

Add your review of Eau de Magnolia

Shop for Eau de Magnolia products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Eau de Magnolia

There are no member images of Eau de Magnolia yet. Why not be the first?