Black Opium (2014)

PerfumerMarie Salamagne
SupplierFirmenich
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute

About Black Opium

Black Opium is a feminine perfume by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Marie Salamagne, Nathalie Lorson, Olivier Cresp and Honorine Blanc

Black Opium fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Opium

I was so disappointed with this perfume. I was so exited to try it and them when I did I couldn't believe just how weak it was I was expecting an explosion of sexy scents and instead I got absolutely nothing
I could barely smell it on my skin......the best thing about this perfume is the advert on television....how misleading that advert is. Nothing sexy about this perfume what so ever. Never mind
22nd November, 2017
Fell in love at first sniff. Distinctive coffee and vanilla smell that I usually fall for. Not too sweet or overpowering and it lingers nicely.
16th November, 2017
I have to give this a neutral because I expected more from YSL. I won't give a comparison to original Opium; there is none. It is as though YSL wanted to jump in, on the "Sweet Style scent" bandwagon.

The first hour of wearing I get vanilla, pear, jasmine, and orange blossom. Too much vanilla for me. After awhile I detect bitter almond and licorice which makes it easier to live with. Then finally when this has settled on my skin I get nice cedar and cashmere wood.

In summation, it comes off as a cheap-girl scent for a couple of hours. Then it begins to show more promise as a scent, recognizable as an offering by the house of YSL.
09th June, 2017
This warm, woody vanilla reminds me of a cross between CK Reveal and EL's Modern Muse Rouge. It's nice, but it's not Opium, black or otherwise. Starts off strong, and rather promising with pepper off-setting the sweetness of the vanilla. Too soon, however the drydown becomes a familiar musky sweetness that, despite the promise of coffee, is rather bland.
07th April, 2017
The notes in this are mostly synthetic it seems, but still.. it had good lasting power and sillage. The notes are coffee, white flowers and vanilla. Drydown is wonderful; slightly woody although I don't sense any patchouli (mentioned by a previous reviewer), but this is NICE ....real nice. All you need is about 2 drops
06th May, 2016 (last edited: 07th May, 2016)
I've never tried the original Opium and I usually don't go for designer-name fragrances, but was so pleasantly surprised when I tried a sample that I decided to buy a bottle. Although it's commonly recommended as a winter/evening fragrance, I think it's a pretty versatile scent. It's sensual but doesn't scream "sex bomb". Floral but not "flowery". I was looking for a scent that was more refined than what I typically go for but not formal. I love the patchouli and orange blossom notes. The white florals are probably why so many people think it smells like a lot of other popular fragrances out on the market right now. But unlike a lot of other popular fragrances, this doesn't give me a headache and I like the spicy/woody notes that are probably a nod to the original Opium.

The scent typically lasts about 4-6 hours and I love how the scent evolves on my skin the longer I wear it. When I sampled it for the first couple of wears, I don't smell very much of the coffee notes but I definitely smell the vanilla. But then when I bought the bottle, I could smell a little bit more of the coffee but it wasn't strong. I've read some reviews that say it smells like a Starbucks. Again, the coffee is just hanging out in the background and almost undetectable to me. The smell overall is not acidic. It is an uplifting sort of fragrance, but the spice/wood notes mellow it out. Overall, I would recommend as a versatile feminine fragrance with warm sensuality.
30th December, 2015 (last edited: 03rd January, 2016)

Add your review of Black Opium