Black Opium (2014)

PerfumerMarie Salamagne
SupplierFirmenich
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute

About Black Opium

Black Opium is a feminine perfume by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Marie Salamagne, Nathalie Lorson, Olivier Cresp and Honorine Blanc

Black Opium fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Opium

I have to give this a neutral because I expected more from YSL. I won't give a comparison to original Opium; there is none. It is as though YSL wanted to jump in, on the "Sweet Style scent" bandwagon.

The first hour of wearing I get vanilla, pear, jasmine, and orange blossom. Too much vanilla for me. After awhile I detect bitter almond and licorice which makes it easier to live with. Then finally when this has settled on my skin I get nice cedar and cashmere wood.

In summation, it comes off as a cheap-girl scent for a couple of hours. Then it begins to show more promise as a scent, recognizable as an offering by the house of YSL.
09th June, 2017
This warm, woody vanilla reminds me of a cross between CK Reveal and EL's Modern Muse Rouge. It's nice, but it's not Opium, black or otherwise. Starts off strong, and rather promising with pepper off-setting the sweetness of the vanilla. Too soon, however the drydown becomes a familiar musky sweetness that, despite the promise of coffee, is rather bland.
07th April, 2017
The notes in this are mostly synthetic it seems, but still.. it had good lasting power and sillage. The notes are coffee, white flowers and vanilla. Drydown is wonderful; slightly woody although I don't sense any patchouli (mentioned by a previous reviewer), but this is NICE ....real nice. All you need is about 2 drops
06th May, 2016 (last edited: 07th May, 2016)
I've never tried the original Opium and I usually don't go for designer-name fragrances, but was so pleasantly surprised when I tried a sample that I decided to buy a bottle. Although it's commonly recommended as a winter/evening fragrance, I think it's a pretty versatile scent. It's sensual but doesn't scream "sex bomb". Floral but not "flowery". I was looking for a scent that was more refined than what I typically go for but not formal. I love the patchouli and orange blossom notes. The white florals are probably why so many people think it smells like a lot of other popular fragrances out on the market right now. But unlike a lot of other popular fragrances, this doesn't give me a headache and I like the spicy/woody notes that are probably a nod to the original Opium.

The scent typically lasts about 4-6 hours and I love how the scent evolves on my skin the longer I wear it. When I sampled it for the first couple of wears, I don't smell very much of the coffee notes but I definitely smell the vanilla. But then when I bought the bottle, I could smell a little bit more of the coffee but it wasn't strong. I've read some reviews that say it smells like a Starbucks. Again, the coffee is just hanging out in the background and almost undetectable to me. The smell overall is not acidic. It is an uplifting sort of fragrance, but the spice/wood notes mellow it out. Overall, I would recommend as a versatile feminine fragrance with warm sensuality.
30th December, 2015 (last edited: 03rd January, 2016)
This is nothing like the original "Opium." The only thing it shares in common is the name, and really, this one belongs to a completely different fragrance family! It's primarily a mixture of black coffee, sweet smelling flowers, cedar and patchouli, making it kind of hard to categorize in fragrance families! Initially, when I first sprayed it on, it reminded me of "Feminite Du Bois" by Serge Lutens, and it does have some similar qualities to that scent. "Black Opium" is much sweeter though, and also has an almost edible, gourmand Christmas fruit-cake quality to it as well, at least to my nose, and on me, it does! Some of you might think that sounds horrible, but to me, I have to admit, this is one of the nicest smelling perfumes I've ever had the good fortune to come across! Like the Serge Lutens fragrance, this one also seems classy and chic (to me.) Like the original "Opium" it shares it's name with, it also simultaneously seems warm, sexy and sensual at the same time! It's definitely a great perfume, and I highly recommend trying a sample, or trying it at your local department store or Sephora today, if you haven't yet! I think it's really worth it!
14th December, 2015
Black Opium is supposed to be a "Rock 'N' Roll interpretation" of the original Opium (that rich and storied, often even reviled work of art). And surely it is, at least, for those of us who, when asked who first comes to mind when hearing the phrase, "Female rock legend," says, "Taylor Swift."

This is neither terrible nor original. It is soft as cotton and has no edges. It has mass appeal for the younger generation who grew up in cities and have no idea what real plants smell like. It is Yves Saint Laurent desperately hoping they can stay current and that no one will notice that the superior Belle en Rykiel was released a full eight years before Black Opium. So it's not a terrible thing, but come on guys- it took four head perfumers to copy something that already existed and repackage it for gullible youths? What happened to the firm that gave us Cinema and M7? Don't give up on yourselves just yet.
07th December, 2015