Nuit d'Issey (2014)

SupplierIFF
PackagingFabien Baron
Parent CompanyShiseido > Beaute Prestige International

About Nuit d'Issey

Nuit d'Issey is a masculine fragrance by Issey Miyake. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Loc Dong and Dominique Ropion. The bottle was designed by Fabien Baron

Nuit d'Issey fragrance notes

Reviews of Nuit d'Issey

I can almost see the board meeting between marketing, the creative director, and the perfumers who won the bid with their primitives. "So we pulled you guys in here because we've seen you both with niche and mainstream successes, and know you can scale up or down your talents to the matter at hand and provided budget. We need something like all the 'Nuit' clubber scents going around, rich and heavy, with the trendy aromachemical bases all the other houses are using, but it has to have a bit of that Issey Miyake zest we're known for, and be a little weird, but not too weird. Got it?" Yeah, well it looks like Dominique Ropion and Loc Dong got the message loud and clear, because Nuit d'Issey (2014) is literally the Issey Miyake take on Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme (2009), mishmashed with a bit of that salty "marine ambergris" ambroxan vibe we can all blame Bleu de Chanel (2010) for making popular, and a touch of Versace Eros (2013), on which this scent chases coattails closest. I'm being as nice as I can about this because I generally like Issey Miyake, even if I don't like all the L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (1994) flanker abuse. This is technically an "extended use flanker" in the fashion La Nuit de L'Homme extends into the evening after a day of wearing the original Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (2006) at work. I totally get it, I really do, I just don't really click with the delivery here, although this is far from olfactive trash by any means. Nuit d'Issey is an unapologetic "me too" because the house known for introducting yuzu to mainstream perfume just had to have a modern douchebro clubber scent in their masculine line up, and I guess it really could be worse, since the perfumers on board at least made sure the idea was translated competently, even if not with much personality.

Nuit d'Issey opens with grapefruit and bergamot, the tandem staple opening since the perfumer of the original masculine L'Eau d'Issey (Jacques Cavallier) returned to pen L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Sport (2012) with those two citrus notes front and center. The yuzu here is barely noticeable, and is instantly steamrolled by a larger dose of the nutmeg also returning from the original L'Eau, but joined by cardamom and a dry leather similar again to the aforementioned sport flanker, but dialed up. It feels like Dominique Ropion and Loc Dong were rifling through Jacques Cavallier's notepad in a hurry when composing Nuit d'Issey, just so it has some tie-in to the series. Vetiver also makes a show, but it's the smokey black kind like that found in classic masculines such as Jacomo de Jacomo (1980) or Open by Roger & Gallet (1985). This vetiver smoke is easily the best part of the scent thus far, and the only stride made that lets Nuit d'Issey stand out for me, but it is a short-lived joy. Scratchy norlimbanol "woods", a moderate dose of ambroxan, and the often-abused tonka note manifest with a fake incense that is probably also imparted by the norlimbanol and some Iso E Super, since it rings clear like the base of Amouage Jubilation XXV (2005) but without half the potency or complexity. Bleached patchouli gobbledyguck fills in the holes left by such jagged chemistry on display to round everything off, and there you have it. Sillage is suffocating with more than a few sprays, and longevity is "long enough" if you're using this for the intended nightlife purpose. I'd really rather just wear the scents this tries to ape than wear Nuit d'Issey, but I can't say it's entirely awful.

I guess male fans of all smelly things labelled Issey Miyake will look to this as their weekend party scent, but I've never really encountered an Issey Miyake fanboy in the wild quite like I have Creed, Dior, Versace, or Gucci lovers, so I don't know if they exist. Based on that logic, I also don't know if this really has a market, because there are just so many better options even at price points lower than Nuit d'Issey, that you'd have to be unusually hard-up for the brand to want something like Nuit d'Issey from them, knowing what else is out there. As if this wasn't already a misguided and mediocre scent using sillage in place of sophistication, they made a parfum edition in 2015 which is even more cloying, qualifying for the "good grief Charlie Brown" reaction from anyone unfortunate enough to come into the H-Bomb mushroom cloud that will likely result from an application to skin. Of course, Issey Miyake also pumped out flankers-of-flankers to this (a move they learned from Calvin Klein or Yves Saint Laurent to be sure), including Nuit d'Issey Austral Expedition (2015) and Nuit d'Issey Blue Astral (2017), proving that the madness just keeps going with this delusional house. Nuit d'Issey gets a solid neutral rating for being effective as a phoned-in "abroxanbomb" club scent in an iconic bottle from the brand, but thoroughly uninteresting and quite unnecessary outside that. If you're looking for something in this vein, I'd only grab Nuit d'Issey if it goes on clearance somewhere or you find it at a discounter, otherwise I'd keep smelling around since department stores are full of options that do what this does with more character and are just more fun to wear, which is what a clubber scent is really all about right? Apparently the perfumers never got that memo from the marketing team.
20th January, 2019 (last edited: 21st January, 2019)
It's not bad. Totally inoffensive and pleasant smelling. In the same breath it's nothing special. Okay for a present or to wear casually but there are many better options out there even at the reasonable price point.
27th December, 2018
My goodness. I didn't realize I could be so overwhelmed by a cologne.

True story of my first use: I put on three sprays, hearing stories about its strength-those stories didn't do this justice. My senses were assaulted by an extremely unpleasant combination of grapefruit and pepper, both hyper-synthetic. Going to work, my car was so filled with the smell that I had to keep the window open (in Wisconsin in January) halfway, and stand outside for 15 minutes before entering the workplace in fear of being tar and feathered, then tarred again to hold the scent in. It lasted all day-I washed my neck and arms to get rid of it changed shirts and still into the night: I couldn't sleep because after 14-16 hours, the scent was still working on disrupting my sanity. I had nightmares and a hard time sleeping, I finally had to shower in nearly the middle of the night to get it off.

I didn't realize scents could stick around that long. If you are looking for extreme longevity/sillage, I believe you found the king: me personally, with these notes I'll be likely setting sail from this failed experiment as soon as possible.

5/10 (if just for unheard of longevity)
26th February, 2018
I really liked the opening where the citrus and darker elements play together. However the citrus which is the original Issey fragrance dissipates in under 60 seconds and incense takes over. To me this gives a very 80s vibe, which can be a good thing if you like it. I don't. It got very boring for me.
I think this is what AdG profumo does so well. Profumo brings out incense but never loses the central DNA and that combination is ethereal. I would have loved Nuit to do the same, but it doesn't.
It's not a bad fragrance if you are into incense and 80s style.

Projection is decent but longevity on me wasn't good at all. It lasted about 5 hours only.
Overall neutral or slightly lower rating from me
24th September, 2017
(I am reviewing Nuit d'Issey Parfum, which doesn't have it's own basenotes.net page at the moment.)

Fragrance profile of Nuit d'Issey Parfum:

Top Notes=Grapefruit, Pink Pepper
Heart Notes=Leather, Vanilla
Base Notes=Patchouli, Tonka

A rich, smooth, and deep flanker of Nuit d'Issey EdT.

The initial spray-on hits with a flash of citrus and spice that dissipates after a minute or so. Then, the intensity is achieved with the pairing of leather and vanilla in the heart, which last and last! The base serves as a great foundation, delicately intertwining with the awesome heart notes.

I can also liken Nuit d'Issey Parfum as partially resembling Hanae Mori's HM EdP scent...same rich, deep character but without the extensive gourmand notes. Having enjoyed Hanae Mori HM for years, I can say that Nuit d'Issey Parfum echoes HM up to the Tonka bean note and minus the chocolate and vanilla.

In the same vein as other intense-type fragrances (like my other recent big favorites, Armani Code Profumo and 1 Million Prive): A full sensation that envelopes and stays potent and predictable, evoking reverie and wonder throughout the wear cycle.

Had to buy a bottle after such a positive experience trying out a sample. If you like the original EdT, you will very much enjoy Nuit d'Issey Parfum. ;^>
14th February, 2017 (last edited: 15th February, 2017)
After a very bright citrus fruity opening it transcends into a hippy type fragrance with a beautiful incense dry down ..I really enjoy this fragrance as it's a bit different from my others ..I get vibes of kokorico and aqua Di gio profumo..lasts a good while for an edt also ..projects good too.

*the parfum version is also excellent but focuses more on the patchouli and insence and as you'd expect has better longivity, is less projecting but has a deeper closer to the skin vibe*

both excellent in my opinion and my favorite flankers from Issey miyake.
27th January, 2017

Add your review of Nuit d'Issey

Shop for Nuit d'Issey products online

Shop for Nuit d'Issey at online perfumeries

Issey Miyake Nuit D'Issey EDT .02 OZ (.8 mL) Sample Spray X 12 Vials

Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Belu Astral Eau de Toilette Men's 125 ml US

End Date: Wednesday Jun-19-2019 7:04:44 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $47.30
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Nuit D'Issey By Issey Miyake for Men Eau De Toilette Spray 6.7 Oz Sealed New Box

End Date: Wednesday Jun-19-2019 7:42:46 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $71.92
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

NUIT D'ISSEY & L'EAU D'ISSEY POUR HOMME ISSEY MIYAKE EDT .8 ml Spray Samples NEW

End Date: Wednesday Jun-19-2019 7:53:27 PDT

Issey Miyake Nuit D'Issey Pour Homme 4.2 oz EDT Cologne for Men New In B

End Date: Wednesday Jun-19-2019 12:43:07 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $69.99

Member images of Nuit d'Issey

There are no member images of Nuit d'Issey yet. Why not be the first?