L'Homme Idéal (2014)

PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Homme Idéal

Guerlain say:

The ideal man is a myth. His fragrance, a reality. Guerlain decodes men’s aspirations and creates for them a concentrate of ideal.

The ideal fragrance? Smart, handsome, strong. Three adjectives, three accords for this fresh woody fragrance that will trigger your full potential

The fragrance was launched in 2014, and created by perfumer Thierry Wasser

L'Homme Idéal fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Homme Idéal

Guerlain L’Homme Ideal is a semi fresh fruity and woodsy scent that smells very pleasant and at the same time very familiar and also very linear! the opening is a fruity smell of tart cherry jam mixed with some green and slightly bitter woodsy notes that has a piny vibe. it’s tart and semi fresh with dominating tart cherry smell but there is a warm and sweet smell mixed with it that reminds you off tart cherry jam but definitely less sweet. the green feel gives the fruitiness even more fresh vibe but because of slightly smoky woody/leathery smell in the background it's dark and not so fresh. the opening reminds me of three other fragrances that they do have the same DNA (not the same smell). first one is “Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havana”. second one is “John Varvatos Man” and third one is “Burberry London”. so if you like these three fragrances there is a high chance that you like this fragrance as well.

In the mid I’m getting the same smell but it’s less smoky and woody and the bitter feeling is now smells like bitter almonds with slightly oily feel. in this part vetiver shows up and gives the fragrance easy to detect earthy aura that it gets stronger and stronger as time passes by but it never gets so loud to dominate over other notes. so you’re gonna get a sweet and tart cherry smell with bitter almonds and some earthy feeling from vetiver from mid till the end. there is nothing exciting and different about it but I can’t say anything bad about it either except having a linear scent. it's a pleasing scent and I can’t argue with that!
Projection is good and above average and longevity is around 5-6 hours on my skin.
26th November, 2016
Guerlain L'Homme Ideal is one of the better examples of a comfortable men's fragrance that walks the line between being cold- and warm-weather friendly, admittedly about equally as much a fresh spicy as an aromatic.

It starts off with a lot of citrus and orange blossom but a heavy dose of almond is quickly revealed, gradually descending into a base of cedar and vetiver (I don't get much leather). Overall the experience is something fresh, nutty, slightly spicy, and smoothly musky and earthy in its dry down. Very nice overall, a very pleasant and agreeable scent, especially for men, for whom it is designed, though frankly, women could enjoy this too.

Performance is decent, about what I'd expect for a year-round EDT from Guerlain. I'll be happy to sample the newer EDP version at some point, as well.

It's agreeable, and at $46/100ml and $32/50ml on FragranceNet, it's affordable if you like it, which I do, though I'm not sure I especially need it for my collection.

7 out of 10
11th November, 2016
Bigsly Show all reviews
This type of scent is among my favorites, but there's nothing about this one that makes it stand out from the crowd, and there certainly is a crowd at this point! Was Bogart Pour Homme the first of this type? That one is more floral but that's what makes it more interesting. These days I prefer Phoenix by Keith Urban and Dolcelisir by L`Erbolario. This is not an "understated" idea, and yet that's what Guerlain seems to have been trying to do with this one. So, it's sort of bland relative to the competition, the price is too high (for me), and it doesn't seem as strong as the others, so I think it deserves a negative rating. If Guerlain can't do better than a Bogart scent that was released a decade earlier, that's what it deserves, IMO.
20th June, 2016
I ordered this by accident thinking I was getting L'homme Ideal Cologne, but I'm really glad I got this one instead. The notes aren't really similar when comparing the two, but I get a hint of what I was looking for in the Cologne version. To be specific, that hint is the beautiful citrus blend and the creaminess of the amaretto.

For 34 USD (Fragrancenet), one can't go wrong with this. I see others calling it commercial, but in my opinion it's still much different than a designer fragrance. It deviates a bit from traditional Guerlain style because there's no powder, but still unique enough in it's own right.

I can't quite report on longevity, but projection is about a meter so this one is definitely safe for work. Right now, I'd give this one a 7/10.
28th May, 2016
Love this fragrance, it sweet and sexy! Good sillage and longevity is pretty good too.
02nd May, 2016 (last edited: 13th May, 2016)
I own and enjoy the Cologne EDT flanker and this original version is clearly aimed at achieving more mass-market appeal than other Guerlain's; though I will say it does so with a marginal degree of elegance and a nice twist, and is not your 'straight-up' derivative commercial scent.

That said, I tried and tried to get into this fragrance but ultimately it just isn't a fragrance I could commit to.

I gave it three wearings with a significant time period between each wearing and although the heart and base combine to achieve a rather alluring accord, its sweet-boozy, slightly synthetic nature is just too much for me, verging too close to cloying territory.

For me, L'Homme Idéal takes too many cues from the modern commercial fragrance we can smell everywhere. If it achieves good sales to enable Guerlain to continue to produce novel beauties elsewhere, then that is no bad thing. It is certainly not a poor fragrance and Guerlain has not plunged to the depressing depths Dior has for its commercial baby, Sauvage.

A neutral for me.

EDIT: After a fourth wearing, I'm giving this a mild thumbs up. Quite nice! It has grown on me and I think a light application works quite well. It also dries down very similar to its cologne flanker.
13th April, 2016 (last edited: 22nd April, 2016)

Add your review of L'Homme Idéal

Shop for L'Homme Idéal products online

Search Amazon for L'Homme Idéal

Member images of L'Homme Idéal

There are no member images of L'Homme Idéal yet. Why not be the first?