Narciso (2014)

HouseNarciso Rodriguez
PerfumerAurélien Guichard
Parent CompanyShiseido > Beaute Prestige International

About Narciso

Narciso is a feminine perfume by Narciso Rodriguez. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Aurélien Guichard

Narciso fragrance notes

Reviews of Narciso

NR's trademark musk layered with gardenia. Super-smooth and somewhat linear, but with decent projection and excellent longevity. It's easy to wear anytime and anywhere and is completely inoffensive - I'm aware this makes it sound like the perfect bland office scent, but it really is much more than that. It's *almost* as good as NR For Her EDT - there's a certain sparkle to For Her which is missing from Narciso, but what it lacks in sparkle, it makes up for in texture, being smooth right from the start and entirely without the screech or hairspray quality that some Big White Flowers can have. It's a great early spring frag - soft, warming musk with a promise of voluptuous blossoms.
13th June, 2017
Is my sample gone wrong? I smell alcohol in the opening, then a weak floral and some musk, and then nothing. Is it fresh to the point that you almost don't smell it? The little I smell is very generic. Disappointment.

The eau de parfum is way better. Beautiful floral with a vintage feel.
02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 08th January, 2018)
Portrait of Lady Blaine as a Child by Adam Buck 1812
14th April, 2017
I've tried many times over the past couple years to jump on the Narciso For Her bandwagon, and each time my nose firmly refused to detect a single note after the initial but brief blast of florals.

Then I gave Narciso EDP a try, and not only can I smell it, it's so terrific that I bought a full bottle at full retail price--something I don't think I've ever done with a modern-day mainstream release.

The scent is a bit of a changeling, at least in its initial phase. Sometimes it starts off as a sparkling, slightly metallic but clearly defined gardenia; at others it’s a high-pitched, nose-searing chemical soup of florals and musks that takes about an hour to calm down. Once it does, the gardenia and musk is joined by a cinnamon-ey rose and the composition becomes much more elegant. While it doesn’t seem to have much throw, it does remain very assertive on my skin and fabric, one of those compositions that wafts up randomly throughout the day, prompting your brain to wonder what in the heck smells so good.

But it’s the dry down that most fully showcases this perfume’s genius. The first couple of times I wore it, I only thought I’d hit its true bottom, which to my nose didn’t smell that much different from the middle phase.

Boy was I was wrong. You have to really wait for it, at least six hours. That’s when the spicy rose is joined by some soft woods and a hint of vetiver (the gardenia still humming along in the background) and together they manage to create this strange, creamy burnt marshmallow-like accord that is one of the most gorgeous perfume codas I’ve smelled in a long time.
09th December, 2016
I will never understand the blanket hatred aimed at "white florals" by many perfumistas. These same connoisseurs often declare Fracas a masterpiece, and they almost always worship at the altar of Chanel No. 5. Apparently allowances can be made for the former, because it's so brazen, and for the latter, because--aldehydes? Rose? Iris? Yes, I know No. 5 isn't strictly a white floral, but underneath the textural symphony it smells like one, with its jasmine and orange blossom.

This type of categorical dismissal reminds me of wine drinkers who claim to hate Chardonnay but love Chablis, and Burgundy, and some German Chardonnay--oh, and Blanc de Blanc Champagne. Sorry, folks; it's the same juice. You can really only make so many allowances and qualifications before it's finally time to throw in the towel and decide you don't hate category X; you're just picky. That's fine. You don't like bad X.

I love white florals, although there are plenty of white floral perfumes that I don't enjoy. But I swoon over the smell of jasmine, tuberose, gardenia, magnolia--heady flowers that comprise the southern American gardener's palette. Where I come from, these flowers are prized for their hardiness in our testy climate. They also smell heavenly together. I can't imagine how anyone in their right mind could find perfumes made from these flowers boring. Some don't smell good, but that's not the same thing.

Narciso isn't a strictly a white floral--it's (true to the Narciso Rodrigue house style) a musky, powdery thing--but when you cut it deep enough, white floral is what you get. Its texture is ravishing, as soft as a down pillow and creamy like the scent of the gardenia it showcases. Vetiver in its base (almost felt rather than smelled) seems to add even more air to what comes off as a beautiful mousse of a perfume. It wears as smoothly and softly as body lotion, and it so successfully conveys the idea of a could comprised of whipped flowers that you expect it to have some sort of moisturizing effect. Did I mention it's gorgeous?

This olfactory trick of whipped flowers is a neat one, something I haven't smelled anywhere else. Even though the scent of the perfume basically stays the same, I can't call it linear because of the textural shifts. It's anything but boring. And somehow this perfume feels like it could fill a room; while at the same time, it seems to diffuse around the edges so it's never strident, unlike many of its white floral brethren.

Overall, Narciso is unique, interesting, quite strong, long lasting, lovely and made from what seem to be decent materials, with its synthetics cleverly deployed in the service of the overall perfume but carefully hidden from sight. And it's absolutely wearable by anyone, anywhere, in any season at any time of day--all the boxes I check when I'm evaluating a perfume. It's a modern masterpiece, and it shows that it can be done: mainstream houses can make pretty perfumes that also sell without compromising intelligence.
19th April, 2016 (last edited: 22nd February, 2017)
Review Narciso EDT, Black Bottle (not 'For Her')
This perfume based on Narciso White has Rose and Peony

It's the Goldilocks syndrome, it has to be 'just right' So, if we're preaching to the converted and you're familiar with 'For Her' Black or Pink, or 'In Colour' or 'Musc Intense' or Narciso 'White' then you are programmed to be quite receptive anyway.

Goldilocks went to the Bears house and tried their porridge, came back the next day and tried their armchairs and finally, third time lucky, (or not so)...... when the little bear's bed was 'just right' she fell asleep.

I'm asleep, and in my dreams I battle with NR, not with the perfumes, but the naming of them. As with Lolita Lempicka you can't just throw a name at your friends who might enquire after your perfume....ah yes, it's the pink bottle that has a black box, no, no, I've got it wrong, it's the black bottle that has a pink box, oh dear, it's the eau de parfum with the lovely sillage, but no, hang on, it's the EDT that wafts around??? Isn't that right? Confused? It's soap, but not as we know it and this perfume doffs the hat at Narciso White but is a different composition, not strength

Narciso 'Black' EDT benefits from a generous application, more sprays than you would normally use, but suitably nuked it will last many hours. Another reviewer (Christianne on Fragrantica) says she wants to hoard it and I have to confess I do too. It's gong to be at your perfume counter, easily sampled, so I won't go into the fragrance notes. Rose and Peony on a Musk base, a touch of gardenia. My husband loves these summertime musks when I wear them and sometimes in my perfume memory a candle strength of Houbigant White Musk flickers through them and makes me feel young again, now that's got to be worth the money.
18th February, 2016