Insolence Eau de Parfum (2008)
by Guerlain

Insolence Eau de Parfum information

Year of Launch2008

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerSylvaine Delacourte
PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Insolence Eau de Parfum

Guerlain say: 'This fruity floral fragrance highlights an unprecedented powdery duo of violet and iris, given a modern edge by a dash of berries. The full and enveloping Eau de Parfum is more intimate and reserved than the Eau de Toilette.'

Insolence Eau de Parfum fragrance notes

Reviews of Insolence Eau de Parfum

You want to smell like fruity parma violets and leave a multifaceted rainbow of (as my 6 year old would say) 'what the WHAT?' trailing behind you? Insolence is for you!

I love the scent, the violets blaring, the tinge of icing sugar powdery goodness mixed in and the slightest hint of jammy berries. One spray is enough to part a small room of people. Two or three spray can part a crowd. Insolence gets people standing to attention. I've been told that people know I walked down a hallway when I wear Insolence.

Be careful with this one, it can clash unmercifully with other scents and should never be worn in small spaces. I don't wear it often, but when I do I go in bold and brash.
16th July, 2018
Never say never: I’m wearing Insolence EDP. A few years ago, I was laughing at the twirly, twinkly, pinky, purpley line of Insolence bottles. Now, Roucel’s direct and precise homage to Apres L’Ondee and the Guerlain DNA in this composition makes me very happy indeed since it seems the only Apres L’Ondee I will ever experience is a modern EDT so attenuated that I can barely smell it 15 minutes later. (Shout out to the insightful reviewers who called my attention to this perfume.)

Violet flowers are made modern in Insolence EDP, a sophisticated ("vulgar"? no way!) perfume that I can add to my other violet favorites, including (all in their vintage forms) Coty Paris, Le Dix, Jolie Madame, and YSL Paris. I’ll take violets with creamy, powdery aldehydes (Le Dix) and I’ll take them with roses (Coty and YSL Paris) but I particularly like violets when they are matched with more sensual, muskier notes, as in Cellier’s brilliant combination of violets with castoreum and isobutyl quinoline in Jolie Madame. (Meanwhile, my 50 year old bottle of Violetta di Borsari extrait contains a surprisingly strong and hirsute dose of civet: it’s clear that violets were never just for grannies, back in the day.) Insolence EDP is the latest take on this game of contrast, presenting slightly syrupy violets on an ambered, darkly musky base. The perfume in my 2016 bottle lasts all day with a moderate and delightful sillage. Now issued in the (rather boring) bee bottle, but I think Mansau’s shiny purple gyroscope is really the only way to go.
04th February, 2018
It's Palma Violets. Candied violet petals and a sweet puff of sugary talcum powder. Youthful, but not (I don't think) strictly only appropriate for young girls.
I'm 26, and happily wearing it. I think my Mum could pull it off too.
Personally, I'm not keen on the bottle design. It's fine, just not as glam as Guerlain usually is.
I loved it so much, I got a second bottle on spec for my friend as it was on sale. Will definitely buy again.
I'm sitting here in a clean, powdery cloud of violets. Such a happy, pretty smell.

28th July, 2017 (last edited: 29th July, 2017)
If Shalimar was simply Jicky gone Bollywood, the same can be said of Insolence and it's predecessor of exactly 100 years, Apres L'Ondee. Roucel took the quiet, mournful violet of L'Ondee and gave it sillage of nuclear proportion - adding a healthy dose of red fruit which becomes stronger as the fragrance progresses. The base is a clever, just perceptible mix of sandalwood with the smallest hint of proper Guerlinade. Devotees of Apres L'Ondee will either love it or find it vulgar. I find myself solidly in the former camp.
23rd July, 2017
I layer Insolence EDP (1 spray in cleavage) with Apres L'Ondee EDT. It's my peculiar little fantasy, that this is the closest I will ever get to Apres L'Ondee in extrait, which is a nonsense given that berries abound in Insolence, but it's that strange hawthorn note that I detect in both that my mindset proclaims to be worthy of Apres L'Ondee. Romantic fiddlesticks.

It's usually enough to wear it for a day as I would for the other purple bomb, Cuir Amethyste. Insolence is the only rebuff to the miasma that is Alien. I wear Insolence, purple and proud, with insolence in my soul. Someone send a bottle to Jeff Goldblum, quick.
07th July, 2016
This stuff deserves its reputation as a monster. A work colleague was given a one-ounce bottle for xmas, and sprayed five (!!!) shots onto her neck as we sat in our staff room. Within one minute, the room had emptied; within three minutes the entire floor of our building smelled as though a giant piece of purple-glitter candy had exploded, depositing a layer of sparkling fruity-violet on every surface. Insolence EDP may not be to everybody's taste, but there's no ignoring it. I think it's wonderful, but I implore you ladies: please, never wear it out to dinner. It's just too, too much to wear when people are eating. And if this is more "reserved" than the EDT, I shudder to think how potent that must be!
04th January, 2016

Add your review of Insolence Eau de Parfum

Shop for Insolence Eau de Parfum products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Insolence Eau de Parfum

There are no member images of Insolence Eau de Parfum yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Insolence Eau de Parfum