Sådanne (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseSlumberhouse
PerfumerJosh Lobb

About Sådanne

Sådanne is a shared / unisex perfume by Slumberhouse. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Lobb

Sådanne fragrance notes

Reviews of Sådanne

Boozy strawberry compote...animals in a barnyard...just like the weird but tasty food combos such as sweet/sour or salty/sweet , the combo of sweet strawberry wine on top of earthy animalics makes for an interesting and great smelling fragrance...this is further tied together with a sheer veil of gentle transparent rose...i go with unisex for this...not for everyone, but something unique to sample...for reference , IMHO has some similarities with Fuel for Life...
13th March, 2019
Along with Pear + Olive, this is the brightest Slumberhouse by far. It opens with a big blast of animalic funk before the other notes begin to emerge and takeover. When the animalics recede (still present but more suppressed and lowered in the base) a big strawberry/champagne accord starts to show up and color the overall flavor of the composition. It begins with the bitter/sour, fermented quality of wine and while it never really loses this influence, it does sweeten up and become a bit fresher over time. In conjunction with the strawberry champagne, there is a notable red rose which seems to paint the whole in a soft floral shade. The rose in Sadanne feels spread-out, almost as if a soft red rose powder was given a dusting over everything, sprinkled throughout the composition without ever taking firm root in any one place. By the time it reaches the heart, Sadanne has achieved a relative balance among these different aspects--it is part musky/animalic, part white wine with its fermented, champagne bite, and part fruity fresh, a big red strawberry sitting right in the middle of it all. While I know its useful for review purposes and those considering this fragrance to classify a scent as masculine or feminine, Sadanne is difficult to pin down, and it seems for the most part, truly unisex in nature. I think it could smell beautiful on a woman, but also avant garde and mysterious on a man. As with most of Josh Lobb's creations, there is a distinct "Slumberade" accord or quality running throughout Sadanne. If you're familiar with the brand, you could most likely sniff this blindfolded and know where it came from. Overall, Sadanne is an interesting scent with a dynamic contrast between 3 key accords (animalic/wine/strawberry) and it is completely unique as far as my experience goes. Definitely worth checking out. Final rating, 8/10.
02nd February, 2019
A big glistening pot of fruity, boozy, strawberry jam sitting on an old wooden table, polished to perfection, that’s been set for afternoon tea – nice china, those cute little spoons to serve the jam with, and an antique bowl filled with fat, fully blown roses. All of those different smells hovering in the air, which is stirred gently by the overhead fan. I get plum for some reason, even though it’s not listed in the notes, and a soft, almost baby powderish note, before the woody note comes through with the teeniest, tiniest smidgen of soap. I rather like it, but don’t know if it’s one I could wear very often – that strawberry note is pretty full on which makes it very jammy and sweet. Not sure how many blokes would wear it though – to me, this definitely falls way more on the girlie side of unisex scents. I think I’ll re-visit this little sweetie in the cooler months – it does smell lovely, but it’s hot and sticky and horribly humid today and it feels a bit much in this sort of weather. Still, I am enjoying this – it’s a fun, happy, carefree scent.
30th December, 2017
Syrupy strawberry rose opening, with a bit of that oily undertone that some slumberhouse scents have (pear and olive?). There's something interesting under the surface, some note I can't put my finger on. There's also a weird pencil shavings note I notice. After the opening it's not that sweet on me, though it retains its syrupy texture. I definitely smell a touch of booziness, though I couldn't say it smells like champagne to me. Could have used a bit more tartness or an herbal element for more complexity.
19th September, 2017
It's interesting to smell something from Slumberhouse that isn't steeped in tobacco, booze, hay, goat fur or the like. Sadanne is absolutely on the other side of the planet from all Josh Lobb's other released work--on the sunny side of the planet, as it turns out. This is literally a perfume filled with sweetness and light.

It opens on an intensely sweet note that smells like ethyl maltol twinned with a sharp, equally sweet strawberry that anyone who has ever eaten Jelly Bellies should recognize. This strawberry is limned with an aromatic but highly constructed rose that reminds me of a lip gloss I used as a kid. In fact, the whole composition at this stage puts me in mind of the intensely girly scented products aimed at preteens--Bonne Bell Lipsmackers, strawberry scented markers, scratch-n-sniff fruit stickers--a whole late 1970s/early 1980s Virgin Suicides world of fruity pink stuff.

The central accord swells into something like an intense, diffused version of a Serge Lutens/Keiko Mecheri loukhoum perfume, minus the powder--all sugar and candied roses, with the aforementioned strawberry turning darker to smell more like cherry. At times it almost reaches a screech, but it never quite does, thank goodness. It remains intensely sweet, but its sweetness seems balanced by the tart acidity of the fruit. This phase of the perfume holds until the rose comes more to the fore.

As the rose emerges, I smell something that I guess you could call animalic. It may be a facet of the sweetness--the way honey smells animalic, especially in perfume, although I would never call it urinous. As the perfume further develops, I also pick up a little something that may or may not be a fruity patchouli that reminds me of the current iteration of Miss Dior. My perception of this note may be entirely suggestive, since all the other fruitchouli elements are here, but I know i smell it.

As the perfume enters drydown, about 3 hours in, it takes on also a kind of ambiguous salinity. This reminds me of Creed's ambergris and the way it's deployed in their floral perfumes: it adds a sense of minerality (if you've ever smelled limestone gravel you'll know what I mean here) and a kind of depthlessness; and it breaks up what could otherwise be an ordinary musk. At this stage of the perfume, the sweetness fades (somewhat), the fruitiness dies down, and everything finally merges with the rose, and that's where it stays for the rest of its life--which is quite long, at least eight hours on my perfume-dissolving skin.

Unlike some other reviewers, I don't need to do any mental gymnastics to convince myself that it's okay for me to like this: I wear loud, sweet, vulgar perfumes all the time. Animalic florals are my wheelhouse. Wearing this does remind me of that time in college I spilled a blender of frozen strawberry daiquiri all over my shirt, and that's really my only gripe--it may be a little too gourmand for me. But this rose in the drydown really is something; it smells like the best part of the aforementioned loukhoum perfumes, only isolated, and that's something I could go for on a regular basis.

And there's something addictive in here that reminds me of the way I respond to Angel. In both cases, the contrast between sweet and earthy elements gets my motor running. Don't get me wrong; Sadanne does not smell like Angel (although the opening sweetness hits about the same number on the Richter scale): it's an altogether smoother ride, lacking Angel's lacquered surface and brittle textures. But it has some of the same smart/dumb appeal. I suspect I would reach for this frequently as the weather warms up: it will probably hit on the same cylinders as a glass of strawberry lemonade. And, now, excuse me--all this early adolescent flashback stuff is getting to me. I'm off to read Ursula K. Leguin and listen to some Blondie.
05th February, 2017
Sadanne is a surprisingly "non-Slumberhousesque" lovely musky fruity/floral accord from Slumberhouse. Despite its immediately detectable soapy-animalic warmth (and the undeniably crude - at least for a part of the trip- and earthy indolic vibe) the juice appears immediately more "european" in style than properly "indie-american", in substance more spicy-subtle, airy, musky, elegant and civilized (than typically raw, woodsy, vegetal and wild). Opening is immediately rosey and a second later super berrish and juicy. The combination of rose and red fruits is anyway well calibrated and never over the limits. Going ahead along the way the main fruity-floral rosey accord tends to be more restrained, sparkling, "french in style" and sophisticated. The red-berrish/rosey main vibe is anyway heady by soon (quite fizzy, spicy, juicy, yet surprisingly "piquant", "fluidy", airy, glamour and classy-chic). I'm sure they took as inspiration-models (making surely those out in to a more musky-light modern vest) the classic animalic floral "chypres" of the past and it seems to detect that kind of typically salty-redolent-addle organic twist from the civet (as dirty wild "Musk Tonkinian" organic vibe counteracting the sweetly juicy-berrish twist from fruity florals in the core of this spicy journey). In this central stage I feel a quite vegetal (and slightly earthy) vibe which is never in any case too much wild or rough. I finally get soothing balsams, musks, something kind of rubbery-suedish in effects and sweet spices (may be cinnamon, probably cardamom as well, providing that lovely fizzy-liquid "taming" effect of the lighter accords). Spices, fruits and animalics enhance a quite intense "juicy-piquant" effect throughout despite dry down is all about musky warm Damascene Rose and smooth soothing elements (balsams, syrup, rubber, leather or what hellish else God knows). Dry down is surprisingly soft, rosey, velvety, airy and joyful in a way quite bright and versatile (yes ideal for spring time) even if the final trail (after many hours) seems to be more restrained, "liquorous" and "bitter". Durable performance on my skin.
15th November, 2016 (last edited: 16th November, 2016)

Add your review of Sådanne

Slumberhouse Baque, Sixes & Sevens, and Sadanne 3 3mL decants

End Date: Tuesday Apr-9-2019 11:57:45 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $230.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Slumberhouse Sadanne PURE PERFUME NEW 2 ML DECANT DISCONTINUED VERY RARE!!!

End Date: Wednesday Apr-10-2019 4:05:06 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $45.00

Member images of Sådanne

There are no member images of Sådanne yet. Why not be the first?