Phoenicia (2014)

Phoenicia information

Year of Launch2014

HouseHeeley

About Phoenicia

According to Heeley, this is ...

An imaginary journey in the Antique Phoenicia, at its peak in 1000 BC. Inspired by this region of the Mediterranean coast, the notes makes us travel from Lebanon to Andalusia, passing by North Africa, Cyprus and Israel.

Reviews of Phoenicia

Highest recommendation from me for Phoenicia. This is incredibly well made as well as incredibly refined. I'm coming to love the house of Heeley more with each fragrance I try. Phoenicia is a must have for me. Rich, incense laden, woody, opulent, with a hint of dried fruit, but in a classy, understated way. I absolutely love this fragrance and will purchase it as soon as I may. James Heeley is an excellent perfumer folks...
22nd March, 2018
I just tried a sample of this. The first opening is bright and very brittle and sweet but within a flash takes over. This doesn't last very long, maybe 15 minutes and then we're back to the opening which lasts for the duration of the scent. There is a slight incense note but to me it seems very faint. The unique fruit top overshadows the scent. I found it a bit feminine for me. I thought it would be a stronger incense with some sweetness to it but I didn't find that. The sillage is strong. The longevity is good. Stays off the skin until it finally settles down about 4-5 hours.
I wouldn't buy it again. I gave the sample to my daughter.
15th August, 2017
Oviatt Show all reviews
With its notes of dates and incense, along with the cedar of the creaking masts of Phoenician merchant ships, this scent has the Levant written all over it. With its lack of floral notes and heavy emphasis on woods, leather and oud, Phoenicia is a dry, yet rich masculine scent, evocative of ancients times and the Mediterranean’s port towns. The oud, which is extremely dry, smells strongly to me of creosote—not necessarily in a bad way. It, too, suggests ship yards and commerce. Creosote is, after all, the ancient Greek name for meat preserver. The oud also creates a slight smell of sweaty humanity (Are there galley slaves rowing this boat?). A very good offering from one of my favorite houses and a great example of how oud can be used very successfully and a team player and not the star of the show.

05th September, 2016
This smells incredibly grand. Leather, oud, incense, all wrapped up by subtle oud and sensual Gaiac wood, labdanum and sandalwood. It's fantastic when a perfume pyramid comes alive and lives up to expectations in this way.

Quality ingredients and fantastic performance make it worth the price tag. I paid $295 Australian dollars which is about the same as a Tom Ford 50ml.

The sprayer on this bottle is quite generous and works well. I am normally an over-applier but 3 spritzes of this had me set for the day. Expect at least 150 applications from a 50ml bottle and lots of happy olfactive memories.

The packaging is almost perfect except that the black label may wear through a little into its gold backing during transportation. Otherwise, the glass work and box is beautiful and the cap has fantastic heft to it, gives the application process a sense of theatre which I like.

5 stars from me.
24th May, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening impresses with a combination of cistus and strong labdanum, a brief moment of a certain brightness, that is soon followed by a fruity warmth.

The drydown reveals the woodsy core character of this creation, mainly cedar, a bit of fir, and guiac, a woman and smooth wood mix. There are whiffs of agarwood making transient appearances, but an olfactoric microscope is helpful in locating them. An overarching gentle incense appears at times, more like a restrained backdrop to the wood impressions.

The base develops a gentle sweetness, with hints of an brighter suede note, with the wood shining through until the end.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and an excellent longevity of ten hours.

A pleasant autumnal composition, smooth, round and warm. The oud is subtle and not overly loud. No prize for creativity here, but it is all solidly done and very well blended from high-quality ingredients. 3/5.

The m
20th May, 2016
This is a very subtle, dark, and masculine take on the oud theme that chooses to make the oud note part of the general bone structure of the fragrance rather than the star. Despite the dried fruit, oud, and incense notes, this is more a dry, smoky woods fragrance than an imaginary trip down the Levantine coast – more Timbuktu than Jubilation XXV or Al Oudh, say.

The Heeley signature of refinement and grace is evident here. This will greatly appeal to anyone who prefers the delicacy of small, well-made objects to blingy costume jewelry. It’s not a statement oud – it is a private pleasure to be absorbed and enjoyed in the small space between your breastbone and your shirt. From the dark, feline oud oil note at the start to the polished woods, leather, and crisp smoke background, nothing about Phoenicia is gaudy or loud.

Phoenicia reminds me of an old wooden casket that once held dried fruit and bunches of vetiver root wrapped up in paper, the aged smell of which has infiltrated the brown patina on the casket and exists more as a memory of scent in the grain of the wood than a direct, “present” note. A work of incredible subtlety, I would wear this everywhere without having to think twice about whether it’s appropriate or not – this kind of thing will always be right, like Cary Grant.
01st March, 2016

Add your review of Phoenicia

Shop for Phoenicia products online

Member images of Phoenicia

There are no member images of Phoenicia yet. Why not be the first?