New York Intense (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseNicolaï
PerfumerPatricia de Nicolaï

About New York Intense

New York Intense is a masculine fragrance by Nicolaï. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Patricia de Nicolaï

New York Intense fragrance notes

Reviews of New York Intense

Parfums de Nicolai New York Intense is another great interpretation of the fougere genre. I've not tried the original, but surely the Intense packs a punch and delivers a fresh spicy formula that is on-target as a year-round signature for men.

Its note listing is formulaic but brilliantly reliable: lemon, bergamot, and petitgrain present a citrus-dominant opening that gives way to a spicier, sharp heart of lavender and pink/black pepper, settling into a base of patchouli, leather, cedar, and vanilla, though admittedly I don't detect much vanilla, even with hours of wearing.

It comfortably fits into the classic men's category is a worthy member of the group that features some big names. It's closer in style to the spicy Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP and Grey Matters Parfums Uno than the more barbershop-like YSL Rive Gauche or citrus-intensive Dior Eau Sauvage. Still, it's in this continuum and deservedly so.

It performs quite well with very good projection and longevity given its EDP concentration. I quite like the way it works with my skin even with a dabber, so I can imagine via atomizer it's an even better experience, especially at the opening.

The price points aren't great, retailing at $175 for 100ml and $62 for 30ml on Luckyscent, so I'd be reluctant to add this to the list with such great aforementioned entries already well established, but at the right price, I'd be happy to have New York Intense as another option.

8 out of 10
14th March, 2018
Having started my career in Investment Banking in the nineties in Paris, I have fond memories of Guerlain-scented boardrooms full of powerful men. I own and wear Bois du Portugal, Héritage and New York Intense, but this is the weakest of the bunch in my view. I can hardly smell it. Still a nice, elegant perfume.
23rd November, 2017
Weak and uninteresting, but undeniably well-made and nicely blended.
06th May, 2017
New York Intense is a zesty, fresh citrus and patchouli fragrance from Nicolai Parfums. The composition is a bit of an overworked common theme with the citrus and pepper accord over patchouli, vetiver and oak moss. The fragrance is reminiscent of Bois du Portugal, Dzongka and other vetiver-patchouli scents. However, NYI should have no problem standing on it's own, as it's an excellent fragrance, well blended with very high quality ingredients. What stands out about NYI is the patchouli, vetiver and pepper notes. However, NYI is a more green vetiver-patch, with a sweet, smokey pepper tone rather than a biting experience. Excellent performance and a reasonable price for a scent of this quality. Thumbs up again for the Nicolai house.
25th February, 2016 (last edited: 06th September, 2017)

I had reviewed New York ten years ago and hadn’t had much contact with it since. At first sniff of NY Intense, I did not seem familiar nor smell like what I remembered of the original version. So I got out my decant of the original and compared them side by side, and, low and behold, I did find similarities. New York Intense exhibits about the same citrus / spice / ambry structure but the citrus, spices, and amber accords are sharper, clearer and somewhat more aromatic than in the original. I personally find the change an improvement. A second change that I find to my liking is the underplaying of oak moss and the inclusion of patchouli in the intense version. Sometimes I am annoyed by oak moss and smelling the original New York was one of those times. A third small difference from the basic New York is that I get more of a smoky or peppery ambiance in the background of the intense scent. Finally, even though Intense has about the same sillage characteristics as the first version, it exhibits much improved longevity.

I see New York intense as a definite improvement over the original, but, in truth, I still won’t be buying – it still doesn’t sing a siren’s call to me…
17th February, 2016
Bought this off the back of reviews comparing New York Intense and New York, and having only smelled New York. It is a pure delight - regal, complex and alluring. Fits perfectly in suit and tie, or smart casual... I won't wear it in T-shirt, shorts and slippers to the beach but to each our own.

New York Intense has that same Guerlain connection, which is great, but it is its own excellent scent! If you are thinking of getting a Classic Guerlain (like Derby, Lupin, Chamade, Habit Rougue), do also consider New York and New York Intense alongside. I am personally reconsidering getting Derby since I received this.
23rd January, 2016