Rhinoceros (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerPaul Kiler

About Rhinoceros

Massive and stubborn, the Rhinoceros takes stock of his territory under the unrelenting sun. His weathered hide protects him from the merciless heat and eroding drum of sand in the wind, as he protects his domain.

Rhinoceros fragrance notes

Reviews of Rhinoceros

Like it's namesake, Rhinoceros is a hefty fragrance. It's never foul-smelling but definitely challenging at times on my first wearing. The opening is potent and a bit skanky. The oud, leather and rum combine in a way that is a bit medicinal but also very masculine.

After an hour or so of this dry strong combo, the fragrance sweetens a little and becomes very green. This sudden pine influx is a bit unexpected, I don't know if it fits the hot sun vibe as well as the other notes, but it's welcomed as it mellows things. Like many other scents by the house, there's certainly a lot going on here, and I'd really like to save my sample and try it again in cold weather. Its definitely been fun to try, but for now I'm not sure it's for me.
20th August, 2019
Zoologist – Rhinoceras (2014)

Nineteen notes make up Rhinoceras’ profile and it’s a bit of a personality disorder. Leather and tobacco jump out upon application, followed by a very dry and very green accord made bitter by agarwood. I keep waiting for the agarwood to subside and the leather/tobacco accord to return. Oddly, if smelled from a distance all I get is the leather and tobacco, but up close all I get is the bitter dry green agar. Strange that with nineteen notes, all I can smell are three.

So, ultimately for the wearer (me), it’s decidedly unpleasant, but for the other person in the room, it’s a gentle leather with supporting tobacco. I am experiencing this with my spouse, so as to get the dual perspective. I have to reject this Jekyll and Hyde concoction as I would never wear it and to keep my spouse at a distance in order to stand it does not make for a successful marriage.
18th July, 2019
Masculine abstraction and awe-inspiring assertiveness have rarely had a bolder olfactory pillar. The stormy fury of a manifest stout smoky dominant leather (in this bold and super virile fragrance, under my miserable but stubborn and determined nose from the southern lands) is a reminiscence of powerfully aggressive woody/rubbery leathers a la Complex by Boadicea de Victorious, Profvmum Roma Arso, Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia, Tauer Lonestar Memories, Nasomatto Duro, Hashish Homme Veejaga or Mona di Orio Cuir. We are talking about a modern leather/fougerè (bergamot, lavender, sage, geranium) with a solid support from boozy notes (rum), aromatic herbs, dry woods, burnt-sugary immortelle and harsh tobacco. The standing out note of leather is in Rhinoceros definitely rubbery, smoky, finally silkier and kind of initially aromatic (pine needles, toasted tobacco and immortelle playing a key balsamic/resinous role in the general woodsy/coniferous/smokey/dry bitter atmosphere). Opening is brutal and almost off-putting (with petroleous/plastic presences lingering all around for few minutes - provided by a juxtaposition between smoky oudh and coniferous resins), it is for a while (five minutes or few more) moistened out by a splash of aged booziness (supported by hesperides and aromatic patterns) before this supreme smoky coniferous leather starts coming out kind of dominant and unapologetic. The initial rum's jet is kind of earthy, herbal (like for a tea-tree/rosemary/lavender's presence), peaty, visceral and aromatic (it's like to detect essential oils, aromatic and woodsy). Agarwood resin, peaty myrrh, peppery spices and arid woods enhance the stark bitter smokiness (vaguely a la By Kilian Pure Oudh) of the olfactory performance while the even more increasingly performing note of tobacco is more properly seasoned, toasted and dry (a cigar leaves' kind of toasted vibe). Dry down is a purely impenetrable, refined, "gentleman club like", lofty, cultured leather/tobacco/woody-accord (smoky, dusty and seasoned) although actually tobacco is more detectable along the durable central stage. This is a take no prisoners kind of bold piece of virility, basically a charismatic connection of seasoned tobacco, smoky leather, woodsy glue (pine-resins) from the forest, dry woods and animalic resins, overall combined in a sort of old-style (vintage/stuffy/moldy in nature but avant-gard in olfactory technique and sensibility) piece of leather/tobacco uncompromising abstraction. Humid aromatic booziness is kind of accessorial and focused on top notes (kind of relatively aromatic/fougerè in their fleeting initial blast). Zoologist Rhinoceros is a charismatic and intimidating fragrance that creates an aura of extreme unapologetic masculinity around its wearer. Rhinoceros is the appropriate name in order to epitomize these characteristics, a solid construction and a sombre appeal (a la Eau d'Italie Bois d'Ombrie and ever more) for a stout temperament to evercome the trials and tribulations of a man's life (as the rhino while defending his domain on his dusty territory with its tough hide as armor against relentless sand and scorching sun). Another winner from Zoologist.
05th May, 2019 (last edited: 18th May, 2019)
Given some of Zoologist's other signature scents, I'm somewhat surprised that Rhinoceros isn't more powerful on opening as I would expect. Yes, rum and leather-boozy and strong-but it doesn't push those boundaries as much as I would have expected. It seems domesticated! It's the vetiver note that smooths it out, and rather unnecessarily: the pine and leather that starts out so prominent gets muddled as the drydown phase begins. I would have expected a rampaging scent, charging and crass: instead, I get a somewhat strong leather-rum scent without the depth and complexity as other Zoologist scents (Bat, Moth, Camel).

I enjoy it, and it has moderate longevity (5-6 hours) and above average sillage. But is it worth 145 dollars a bottle? Not in my opinion. It has a decent enough starting punch but doesn't fulfill its promise as a powerful beast in the wild.

23rd February, 2019 (last edited: 03rd March, 2019)
This one was challenging for me. Not in the normal challenging way that it does not smell good. This just took me a couple samples to understand what I was thinking. It is leather, strong, and in your face. This one is not playing around, and is far from the common fare. No sweetness here. There is a medicinal quality that I thought at first maybe was a facet of the fake oud, but it turns out it was wintergreen. Wintergreen and leather is the basic definition of what we have here. There are background players of little booze, and little smoke. I applaud this creation. This truly feels like a rhinoceros themed fragrance to me. I totally get it. The longevity and performance in general suffer from its bombastic opening, and I'd saw 1-10 they are a 4 on both, with the caveat that it opens for the first hour at a projection 10. Thumbs up in the creative category!
15th February, 2019
Boozy, green, pungent. Piney and forest like. Woody, dry heat. Later on, some tobacco and leather. The beast tames down at the base. Yet another Zoologist I have fallen in love with. I love the rum and pine needle notes best.
13th February, 2018