Rhinoceros (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerPaul Kiler

About Rhinoceros

Massive and stubborn, the Rhinoceros takes stock of his territory under the unrelenting sun. His weathered hide protects him from the merciless heat and eroding drum of sand in the wind, as he protects his domain.

Rhinoceros fragrance notes

Reviews of Rhinoceros

I figured Rhinoceros would be a rough ride, but geez--people are wearing this stuff?

I'm not shocked by the basic idea: it's a massive, smoky, terpey thing on top of a woody base, and (as we say in Texas) the woods is full of these. Rhinoceros stands out from the pack, because it piles on loads of pretty much every single note from today's modern "masculine" scents into a clashing accord of bitterness and chemical smoke, pushing the idea beyond conceit into parody--pine (and more pine), booze, artemesia (why call it "armoise" here? I don't understand. Zoologist is an American house, no?), cedar, smoke (oud, tobacco, and just straight-up "smoke"), plus leather and immortelle (presumably because it's 2017, dangit).

The result smells a lot like the odor that fills our kitchen when I overload our inexpensive blender with smoothie ingredients--scorched rubber and the threat of electrical fire, which I know are not bad things to some noses. Where I come from, people smell like this after a hard day on the job site--a scent that some of the hipster fellas out there might be after. If Absolue pour le Soir and Rien Intense Incense are too wussy for you, give Rhinoceros a try.

30th April, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
This is a pungent and sharp opening blast - bergamot, bitter artemisia, lavender, and oud sharpness with a herbal and slightly boozy undertone.

Soon this is combined with the crisp impression of a leather workshop with tannin and the aroma of new leader ware stacked against the wall. A sharp chemical musky impression is quite overwhelming; this is not a gasoline sharpness like in Knize 10; and at times it has a nigh-urinal characteristic, but after the first hours the pungency softens and the leather takes centre stage.

Now other elements are discernible: coniferous notes, a whiff of light smokiness and and amber; and for the subsequent hours this is more pleasant and traditional. Woodsy notes become a bit stronger towards the end.

I get moderate to strong sillage, excellent projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

A real character, this rhinoceros, a good winter scent. At times overly skanky and chemical, is is complex and original enough to deserve a positive score - albeit just, as it is a tad too unbalanced at times. For the times when you play with your pet rhino. 3/5.
08th October, 2016
Can't believe I am going to say this... But yeah I like it... WOW very cool scent. Leather (LOTS OF IT) for sure along with the conifers, cedarwood, pine, amber... OMG I can't stop smelling it. I think it smells like new electronics out of the box (Weird I know lol). A Winner in my opinion. As for as price ($125 for 60ml) for a juice that does have a Rhino on the bottle (kinda kid like but I get it) I can look past the presentation and will most likely be adding this to my collection. Enjoy!
12th July, 2016
Even before I tried Rhinoceros I expected it to be somewhat rugged and rather butch because those were always the exact impressions I had when I visited the actual animals in the zoo. When I wore it for the first time I was totally blown away by its commanding presence as the strong leather aroma forcefully demanded my attention. The leather aroma was considerably raw, dark and smoky which led to the creation of a fragrant aura so dominant that it remained strikingly apparent for the entire life span of the fragrance.

Contrary to my belief that rhinoceroses were just gentle giants, this Rhino had proved me wrong. It wasn’t just a rugged creature, it was rather authoritative and fierce when in charge. And while wearing the fragrance, a hallucination hovered over me as if I were Maximus Decimus Meridius wearing an impenetrable invisible armor leading my army into battle as if I was actually in Gladiator. For once, I assured myself that I was going to intimidate rather than simply being intimidated.

It was quite obvious and convincing that deep down inside this Rhino was a warrior and a general of his Legions. However, it did have a softer side to balance its fearsome nature.

Though I did not find anything particularly sweet about Rhinoceros, it did display an occasional refreshing quality, perhaps a combination of bergamot, pine and vetiver; the juxtaposition of these fresh, aromatic accords with the woody notes in the composition conjuring a vision of the forest just after a midsummer’s rainstorm. This subtle undertone created a certain dampness that kept the overall concoction from being too dry; therefore, it gracefully tempered the beast from within. The usage of musks in Rhinoceros’ was very civilized, so I wouldn’t go as far as calling it dirty or animalic, in fact it wasn’t at all but simply a subtle undercurrent of warmth as a delicate foil to the Rhinoceros’ intrinsic ferocity.

What intrigued me the most about this fragrance, and this brand in general, was how masterfully the elements were blended together in a way that the olfactory experience really reminded me of this animal’s habitat. They absolutely delivered on a very true-to-life journey into the animal kingdom, which in turn convinced me to believe the artistry and creativity of Zoologist products were unparalleled.

I have always been a fan of the 80s and 90s masculine powerhouse genre, so it wasn’t a hard decision to add Rhinoceros into my collection. Even among the undisputed champions of the classics such as YSL Kouros, Chanel Antaeus and Guerlain Derby it is still a force to be reckoned with.
22nd April, 2016
This is a scent for a manly man and a manly man only. Upon the initial spray, I was NOT a fan of it- wayyyy too much of a dark liquor poured over leather smell. If that's your thing though, I am sure you would like it, the liquor was just a little much for me.

About 30 minutes after the booze calms down, it turns into a much more enjoyable scent. It has an obvious strong leather scent, combined with some tobacco and only a slight bit of liquor.

Not for everyday wear in my opinion, but would be good for a black tie event or to a sports bar.
28th February, 2016
The opening salvo of Rhinoceros has a little too much going on. The fresh herbal components seem to be locked in combat with the smoky, incensey bits and the leathery musks - very bitter, with what I suspect is simply too much elemi, geranium, and wormwood, which work wonders in very dry scents, but in this saturated mix-up they are a bit clumsy.It's a spiky beginning reminiscent of some kind of furniture varnish with a medicinal bent. Once the first 45-60 minutes are out of the way is softens into a warm and respectable semi-sweet leather scent with a hint of that almost-mintiness evergreen balsams give off. This stage is very agreeable. Certainly this is the hulking beast of the bunch.
20th January, 2016