Rhinoceros (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerPaul Kiler

About Rhinoceros

Massive and stubborn, the Rhinoceros takes stock of his territory under the unrelenting sun. His weathered hide protects him from the merciless heat and eroding drum of sand in the wind, as he protects his domain.

Rhinoceros fragrance notes

Reviews of Rhinoceros

Rhinoceros. Not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of something I want to smell like. I'm sure this frag doesn't smell like a Rhino, so maybe it smells like a Rhino Virus, because that always leaves me cold.

The list of notes is staggering. That may be one of the problems I have with this one...there is a lot going on here. I do get some leather, some musk, some smoke, and some elemi. Other than that, this all homogenizes into a funk of smell that doesn't really work for me. I don't want to work as hard as I will need to work to find enjoyment from wearing Rhinoceros. Perhaps I'm just being near sighted, but I don't get a charge out of this one.
04th August, 2017
N0tlee Show all reviews
This is my first leather fragrance I've tried so far and I love it. I like how zoologist blends the green earthy notes with the leather. I am wearing it in cold weather, I don't think I could pull this fragrance off if I was hot out. I love how the amber, leather, and vetiver interact with each other on the dry down. This could be a beautiful everyday scent in colder months because the conifer notes just give it such a winter vibe.
I got solid 9 hours out of this fragrance with a little bit above average projection. I don't know if I'll add this to my collection because of how many other great fragrances there are in the Zoologist collection and the money for a full bottle is to be taken into consideration.

18th July, 2017
Rino goes on with a blast of rum and leather. Tobacco also is mixed in. It reminds me of a Gentleman's Study- Leather chairs, books lining the walls, a glass of rum and Coke on the desk, and a pouch of tobacco beside it. A few minutes into it, there is a sharp green note from the sage, conifer, and geranium. This is very complex, and never seems to clash with itself. I love leather scents, and this is a great one. NOT pure leather like Montale Leather Aoud, but a mixture of many other notes. If you like Vetiver, this has a healthy dose of it upon dry-down, I'm not a vetiver fan, and this has a tiny bit too much for me to get a Full bottle. For 5 stars this would need a bit more smoke and leather, and a bit less vetiver.
24th May, 2017
I figured Rhinoceros would be a rough ride, but geez--people are wearing this stuff?

I'm not shocked by the basic idea: it's a massive, smoky, terpey thing on top of a woody base, and (as we say in Texas) the woods is full of these. Rhinoceros stands out from the pack, because it piles on loads of pretty much every single note from today's modern "masculine" scents into a clashing accord of bitterness and chemical smoke, pushing the idea beyond conceit into parody--pine (and more pine), booze, artemesia (why call it "armoise" here? I don't understand. Zoologist is an American house, no?), cedar, smoke (oud, tobacco, and just straight-up "smoke"), plus leather and immortelle (presumably because it's 2017, dangit).

The result smells a lot like the odor that fills our kitchen when I overload our inexpensive blender with smoothie ingredients--scorched rubber and the threat of electrical fire, which I know are not bad things to some noses. Where I come from, people smell like this after a hard day on the job site--a scent that some of the hipster fellas out there might be after. If Absolue pour le Soir and Rien Intense Incense are too wussy for you, give Rhinoceros a try.

30th April, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
This is a pungent and sharp opening blast - bergamot, bitter artemisia, lavender, and oud sharpness with a herbal and slightly boozy undertone.

Soon this is combined with the crisp impression of a leather workshop with tannin and the aroma of new leader ware stacked against the wall. A sharp chemical musky impression is quite overwhelming; this is not a gasoline sharpness like in Knize 10; and at times it has a nigh-urinal characteristic, but after the first hours the pungency softens and the leather takes centre stage.

Now other elements are discernible: coniferous notes, a whiff of light smokiness and and amber; and for the subsequent hours this is more pleasant and traditional. Woodsy notes become a bit stronger towards the end.

I get moderate to strong sillage, excellent projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

A real character, this rhinoceros, a good winter scent. At times overly skanky and chemical, is is complex and original enough to deserve a positive score - albeit just, as it is a tad too unbalanced at times. For the times when you play with your pet rhino. 3/5.
08th October, 2016
Can't believe I am going to say this... But yeah I like it... WOW very cool scent. Leather (LOTS OF IT) for sure along with the conifers, cedarwood, pine, amber... OMG I can't stop smelling it. I think it smells like new electronics out of the box (Weird I know lol). A Winner in my opinion. As for as price ($125 for 60ml) for a juice that does have a Rhino on the bottle (kinda kid like but I get it) I can look past the presentation and will most likely be adding this to my collection. Enjoy!
12th July, 2016