A City On Fire (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About A City On Fire

'A brilliantly dark graphic novel, A City On Fire, is the story of two match-makers.'

Reviews of A City On Fire

Dr. Z. Show all reviews
Greetings

Sharp.. smoky... spicy.... thick/smoky.....did I mention smoky??

The opening "cuts" the inside of my nasal mucosa with tiny (sharp) smoky molecules.

As they (the molecules) drift beyond the cribiform plate.. they are instantly realized and assimilated by 2 olfactory bulbs ; (which are actually extensions of the brain) & are then "recognized" and "categorized" by yet another area of the brain called the stomach. ;-)

Some scents/aromas at times, beg the question- "hey...what's cookin?"

Which is exactly what I ask myself every time I wear this fragrance!

I'll tell you what's cookin...

-Mostly hotdogs (big fan)

-Cheeseburgers

-Chicken (with Saucy Suzan)

-S'mores....anything I've ever had cooked over a roaring open campfire.

As a child we camped a lot. So, the aroma of this fragrance , which is such a glorious menagerie of assorted smoky vibes ...reminds me of pork hotdogs! Lol.

Try as I might... I can't eliminate the memory of hot dogs ect.. cooking over old open campfires every time I wear this creative frag, WHICH SUCKS CUZ ITS AMAZING!!!!

To be clear, this is definitely NOT a gourmand. It's a memory thing for me... Nothing more. But I'm working on new memories.

On my skin... Very good silage and projection.. 3-4 hrs before getting closer but never a skin scent.

There is a quality in here that captivates me (hot dogs aside). It's a tad bitter. Thick. Woodsy. I'm drawn to my arm like a moth to a flame.

Even a bit of clove?? (Something in there's giving me a touch of that. Spikenard?? )

Never cloying and that's with 6-7 hours of longevity. Mind you.. I like this one from IA.. Not as much as some of the others I own...but still creative and very interesting.
Great for fans of that smoky campfire genre...

and hotdogs.

7 out of 10
11th June, 2016
This is a very interesting scent!

I love the smoke and if you are looking for a "campfire", this is truly it! While it doesn't have the longevity for me, I am excited to experiment with this as a layered scent this fall and winter!

Having tried most of the line at this point, I can say this is not comparable to my nose of any of Josh's current offerings; it truly stands on its own and I am thrilled! It has some connections to Slumberhouse's Norne and to House of Matriarch's Blackbird, but it really is its own scent - and I will more than likely purchase a full bottle.

Oh, just to add, I'm a woman...so even though this is marked "masculine", I think it can go either way - I will be sharing this with my husband, though. Sharing is caring.
08th September, 2015
I think this is the best thing Josh Meyer has done yet. I own many smokey fragrances, and this one manages to balance the line between being undeniably smokey but also nuanced enough to smell like a personal fragrance and not simply like burning wood. It's extremely wearable. Some of the other smokey fragrances I love, like Fumidus and Jeke, can be a bit challenging in their severity. This one is much more friendly and approachable. It should definitely be a must try for anyone who is interested in the smokey genre.
26th April, 2015
Like wearing olympic's woodcut in reverse. Smoky, charred wood in the beginning, fading to a pleasantly mild and very slightly sweet drydown of berries and labdanum. Unexpected, aggressively confident, and rather clever. Listed as masculine but I think I'm pulling it off fairly well ;)
21st April, 2015
A City on Fire is the first spicy installment of the Imaginary Authors collection that I've tried, and it does not disappoint. The cardamom and labdanum (resin) are the main notes both in the opening and dry down, with the cade oil and clearwood provide juniper and woodiness that are in the mix as well.

I seldom smell a fragrance can open strongly with spiciness and not be overwhelming or cloying, as with many ginger-based fragrances, but A City on Fire does just that. And I rarely gravitate toward spicy- or smoky-, or even earthy-dominant fragrances, but this is really a great example of how such a fragrance can work well through yet another semi-mysterious IA combination of notes.

Granted, it's less versatile than a something lighter or sweeter, but it's not so formal or casual to be all that limited. This strikes me as a scent for winter nights, though in lighter application it could work during the day (as I'm testing it) or even the warmer months.

It slightly reminds me of Cartier's Declaration but that could be reach, since I haven't smelled Declaration recently.

Projection is good at more than a foot, almost on par with IA"s Cape Heartache and Memoirs of a Trespasser (still my two favorites of the collection), but its longevity is slightly less. It didn't lose much intensity after the first five hours and stayed for hours more, even after a shower. Yet another IA example of a good price for an EDP ($85 for 60ml), as many others have pointed out.

This is a great different side of Imaginary Authors that I haven't experienced yet, and it makes me want to try their other seemingly earthy/spicy offerings, Bull's Blood and The Cobra and the Canary. This is a must-try for fans of spiciness/smokiness and fans of the IA line in general.

8 out of 10
10th February, 2015 (last edited: 07th August, 2017)

Add your review of A City On Fire

Shop for A City On Fire products online

Search Amazon for A City On Fire

Member images of A City On Fire

There are no member images of A City On Fire yet. Why not be the first?