A City On Fire (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About A City On Fire

'A brilliantly dark graphic novel, A City On Fire, is the story of two match-makers.'

Reviews of A City On Fire

This literally smells like the charred remains of a burned object. It gets stronger and projects more and more as each 30 seconds ticks by.

Eventually I had to wash it off, but afterwards, I could still smell it ever so slightly if I put my nose right up to my skin...and there was a faint, faint smell of leftover campfire that was not unpleasant! I felt kind of compelled to keep smelling it. However, I could not handle the intense smoke at the beginning. I think this is more of an experience scent than a wearable one.
29th December, 2019
This is definitely one of the most interesting fragrances I've tried but not the most wearable. I do get the connections to Zoologist T-Rex, both have a ton going on. The beginning of A City on Fire is quite harsh. Thick black smoke, almost the burnt-bacon smell of creosote from a wood-stove chimney. It settles down a bit after an hour and is then reminiscent of how your clothing smells after hours sitting in front of a campfire.

Neither of those two scents really grab me but the drydown is where it gets more pleasant. A sweetness creeps in just a little that mellows things, maybe from the dark berries. It also doesn't really project, which is good given how harsh it can be. But this leaves that pleasant drydown too soft. If it smelled like the drydown the whole time I'd enjoy wearing it, but as it stands it's not something I'm after. Definitely sample if you can though.
10th October, 2019
Not wild about this one (and I say that as someone who likes smoke in perfume).

Slightly one dimensional with a sweetness that I found a little unpleasant. It's not terrible, but there's better out there in this style.
03rd March, 2019
The last vestiges of a fire, the end with the embers and that trail of smoke.

The opening is very harsh but it quickly simmers down.

Honestly, what sprung to mind was, of all things, on the Disney World Epcot ride Spaceship Earth when the ride comes to the part about the burning embers of Rome and the ride perfectly captures....well a burning city scent piped in, A City on Fire has taken that and made it wearable and delectable.

This is not a scent for oversprayers and I found two good sprays plenty. Great longevity. I'm not one for smoky perfumes, but there is something with A City on Fire that keeps my attention almost rapturous and coming back for more. The concept and the execution amazes me and I love it.
30th January, 2019
A real campfire, wood-stove smell. It's large, in your face. Pure smoke. Cough. Cough. A slight rubber tire note. Highly chemically-processed, cheap leather accord.

I thought I would really love this, from the note list. It's a bit too woody; a bit too manly. After some time the smoke begins to clear. I get some sweetness from berries or something. A bit of conifer latter, too. Not bad. Not a daily wear scent.

2 and a half stars.
22nd December, 2018
Loud, buttery and burning wood in the smokey opening that really doesn’t change much through the drydown.

Really good projection and decent longevity.
11th November, 2018

Add your review of A City On Fire

Shop for A City On Fire products online

Shop for A City On Fire at online perfumeries

Member images of A City On Fire

There are no member images of A City On Fire yet. Why not be the first?