Rose Privée (2015)

PerfumerStéphanie Bakouche
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Rose Privée

Rose Privée is a feminine perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Bertrand Duchaufour and Stéphanie Bakouche

Rose Privée fragrance notes

Reviews of Rose Privée

Dancers in Pink by Edgar Degas
18th May, 2017
Light pink garden rose and grapefruit opening, with hay and basil keeping the rose fresh once the citrus has burnt off. The rose is the stem-petals-and-leaf scent of a closed rosebud, rather than the headspace of an open, blooming flower. The basil and hay give a rural feel and add a sense of open space, this takes on another dimension when a lovely lilac drifts to the front. It is very much a LAP fragrance, characteristic of the house and of Duchaufour and I find myself becoming quite a fangirl of both. It's a very pretty fragrance, but quietly so - a fresh-faced country girl rather than a frou-frou dolly bird. Like others, I found it wears close to the skin with longevity no more than moderate - just 4 hours, sadly. Still, it gets a thumbs up from me for getting the tang of a fresh-cut stem without any bitterness, for the addition of basil and for that gorgeous lilac.
02nd April, 2017
Stéphanie Bakouche’s sensational Invasion Barbare for Parfums MDCI is a hard act to follow, and it’s worth considering that early-career success is not without its downside. The expectation following a Luca Turin 5-star rating of a first perfume is stratospheric. Rose Privée is Backouche’s second perfume, released a full ten years after Invasion Barbare and co-authored by Bertrand Duchaufour, cited by l’Artisan as Bakouche’s mentor. In the intervening years she’s been at the heart of the l’Artisan Parfumeur line, first as a Trainer and then as a Fragrance Development Manager and Perfumer.

The opening of Rose Privée is pure color. Pink rose, silver-green violet, white and pink grapefruit, green basil. But mostly pink, as in pretty. Not as unabashedly pretty as Drole de Rose or as self-possessed as Safran Troublant, Olivia Giacobetti’s two roses for l’Artisan, but Rose Privée is charming and fits the l’Artisan aesthetic. Rose and violet, a classic ‘makeup’ pairing, hint at lipstick but Rose Privée is far from the plumped and ready-for-battle lips of Incarnata‘s cold violet.

The rose of the topnotes is brief but bright, creating an olfactory effect similar to a cinematic lens flare followed by a hazed washout. The eau de parfum fades to violet via lilac, all the while suggesting a range of watercolor pinks and purples. The topnotes are gentle but as they meld into a sweeter, sharper lilac-magnolia accord, the rose seems more fragile than soft. The directness of the synthetic tone easily outpaces any attempt at a full-fleshed natural appearance, which is not necessarily a failure in a perfume. But for one that puts “Rose” in klieg lights and sells itself as a rose de mai, the transition from the topnotes to the musky-berry heartnotes has the feeling of deflation. Streamlined, abstract tones take precedence over verisimilitude to rose and the topnotes blow away in the breeze. Post-rose, the perfume is linear.

The ‘basenotes’ are a better indicator of the perfume’s intention. A calibrated woody-musky shape forms the skeleton of the fragrance. It recalls a softer version of the the finish Duchaufour has applied to many of his woody-florals like Dzongkha or Sienne d’Hiver, but without his signature incense. The odd thing, though, is that unlike the radiance and durability that the Duchaufour treatment usually gives a perfume, evanescence is Rose Privée’s chief trait. The whole experience of the eau de parfum lasts about 2 hours, after which it’s gone without a trace.

If you’re looking for a long-lasting or thorny rose, Rose Privée won’t suit you. But worn as a buoyant, floral version of an eau de cologne, it fits the bill. The rose de mai burns off like the citrus of an eau de cologne and the musky sweetness floats until it fades.
21st June, 2016
A fresh, pretty English rose scrubbed clean of anything waxy, dark, or animalic. It has a citrusy start, and then launches into a pink pompon of a rose, supported by a basil note that makes it feel like an English kitchen garden. The basil veers dangerously close to mint, which is why I say English garden instead of Italian garden.

There are other florals here too – magnolia, carnation, and lilac – but the effect is a muddled, gentle floral blend rather than something distinct. All I get in the base is a very faint lick of something vaguely chypre-like (must be the hay) and some white musk. I have no idea why this perfume exists. It’s not bad, but I just…..I don’t know why I’m even talking about it. This is not a review, but a question mark.
06th March, 2016
I grow roses in my garden and I have once again been looking for an un-fussy rose scent to carry the delights of the summer forward into the coming colder weather. Therefore I recently spent a delightful hour or so in a small scent shop playing with various options, comparing my nose to those of the clerk and a friend who accompanied me.

I’d tried the current formulation of Penhaligon’s Hamman Bouquet – my old “go to” rose scent of years past. It was not quite what I wanted: too complex, possibly too heavy for my nose now. I compared two different Santa Maria Novella rose-based scents. None quite had the simplicity and purity I was seeking.

Then the clerk suggested Rose Privee, and I was again in love with a rose perfume. My nose does not detect the citrus others mention here, nor does it detect much development. I get a simple, extremely pure, gentle rose. No darkness of the Turkish rose, no over-sweetness of the English rose. Just the pure, clear scent of the Bourbon rose -- Madame Hardy comes to mind -- clear, with a depth of pure, rich rose essence. Light, yes, but true and innocent.

To my nose this is a perfect soliflore. Projection is limited, longevity unbelievably long. Hours later the scent on my skin was as lovely as with the first spray. Recommended.
03rd October, 2015
Robin: “Hey man! I want to create a new perfume!”

Batman: “Don’t be bat-stupid! You are not so dark as me!”

Robin: “What? Listen man! Let's start with Batman's enterpises bankrupt... and with Batman that falls from the clouds…

Batman: “Remove that ridiculous Mexican wrestling mask from your face! I know you are a woman!”

Robin: “If you withdraw from creating fragrances with rose for years, you've also withdrawn from social life, what have you been doing all this time? Have you created any perfumes? Have you watched television? How could you be so stupid as not to throw an even occasional look at your business?”

Batman: “Ok, you are bat-right! I need a rose perfume, a bat-one!”

Robin: “WE need a rose one!”

Batman: “I need an artistic inspiration! To create a perfume with rose it is very difficult and bat-original too!”

Robin: “May you insert yourself into that badass prison that you like so much?”

Batman: “That PRISON? I'm dark, but not so bat-stupid!”

Robin: “What is it if not a place, devoid of real cells where detainees (and assumes also the food) are lowered from a large circular opening at the top right which is also the only access?”

Batman: “Ok lady Robin! Now we are in March! I will stay in prison until the beginning of April! So I will have a real bat-inspiration!”

Robin: “You can also escape when you want! Even if you aren’t Spiderman, you can manage to climb to the top!"

Batman: “YES darling! I’m dark, a big dark one!”

It was June and it was July, it was August and it was September...
In May, the romantic Robin took the May roses! In June, she added a bit of flowers gathered in GothamGrasse as June carnations and June magnolias.
In August Robin had the idea to add some August frogs.
In September she found some September leaves of violets…
Till November!
In November the character of Batman is supposed to be in that prison!
The romantic Robin finally visited him, bringing to him a bit 'of cooked food.

Batman: “Hey Robin! I had a bat-inspiration, it’s about rose and artichokes, capers and herrings too! Hey Mexican lady! Where are you going! Get me out! I am dark, you know? Hey Mariachi! I’m a big dark one!..”

Batman & Robin's perfume will be consider to be an abomination that is best forgotten. It is too romantic and for nothing dark...

Batman: “What is this? Spicy Mexican food? Hey lady! Hey Robin, COME ON!”

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

28th May, 2015

Add your review of Rose Privée

Shop for Rose Privée products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Rose Privée

There are no member images of Rose Privée yet. Why not be the first?