Debaser (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HouseD.S. & Durga
PerfumerDavid Moltz

About Debaser

Debaser was launched by D.S. & Durga in 2015. The perfume was created by David Moltz and is inspired by, and named after, the song Debaser, by the Pixies.

The company say:

The wild shrill of Black Francis coming through the radio in the August heat. Ripe fig, iris, coconut milk, tonka and dry blond woods.

Debaser fragrance notes

Reviews of Debaser

Summary: Fruity-green-coconut, light, good for spring or warm breezy weather.

Recalls: sharing a pair of earbuds with a friend, laying on the grass in Boston, listening to the Pixies on cassette circa 1995.

Personal notes: I'm a big fan of fig in general, and my go-to for fig is Philosykos. The fig note is not as elegant here, and for me the synthetic coconut, while not immensely strong, lends a pina colada note that ruins it a bit for me (though fans of syn coco won't be bothered by this).
15th February, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
A green impression with some citrus-bergamot hints in the background open up this fragrance. In the drydown iris and a green fig are added. On my skin this is not a green fig and less elegant than in Philosykos.

The base adds a pleasant coconut, but overall it remains a bit uninspiring apart from the somewhat unusually green fig. I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and six hours of longevity on my skin. Good in spring. 2.5/5
12th October, 2015
Debaser is a refreshing green fig, iris and coconut scent from D.S. & Durga. As far as fig scents go, I didn't find this one all that unique and it falls short of this house's trademark originality, but it's still a good fragrance. I got a lot of green leaf in the opening with hints of mint and salt. After about an hour the green elements fade and the iris and coconut come through very lightly. It's still mostly a fig scent though. I love fig scents and would consider Debaser a greener, grassier take on the fig note. I got below average projection and about four hours longevity. Debaser would make a great vacation scent or casual day scent in spring and summer. A good niche fig option, but a bit pricey for something you won't wear often
01st July, 2015 (last edited: 02nd July, 2015)
The Pixies connection must be personal as I can’t fathom what a stock fig scent has to do with either the band or the song.

There’s not that much you can do with fig — they’re green and a bit milky. This one’s not that different from all the rest (except perhaps Soivohle’s Figgy Plum, which is a strange one). The only real distinguishing factor that I can come up with is that Debaser is slightly less subtle than a scent like, say, Philosykos. The greenery is ramped up a notch; there’s a raspy cedar-like effect in it; and it’s maybe a tad more milky. Something about it doesn’t quite sit right though, and I think it’s a vanillic / coumeric sweetening note of some kind that’s tucked away, but isn’t working. Also, it smells more grassy than fig leaf usually does. Weird.

Debaser isn’t bad, but it’s unoriginal with a ho-hum blend and it seems like they missed the goal as far as verisimilitude goes. Spikier and more jagged than other fig scents with a bit more of a candy feel to it as well. If it’s a green, natural fig you’re after, look elsewhere.
03rd May, 2015
Debaser is the first D.S. & Durga fragrance I've smelled and it's an agreeable, fresh fig scent, that opens very prominently with the fig, which also hangs around for as long as the fragrance does. Debaser leans green and slightly woody but is still centered around the fig note, which, combined with a coconut, does give a beachy, summer-like feel, yet I'd say it has all-season versatility since it's not particularly light or aquatic.

Probably mostly for daytime use (it isn't very formal), though, Debaser is a tricky sell at $145 for 50ml (house site and Lucky Scent) but it's an intriguing fig option with decent longevity and projection for an EDP.

Somewhat reminiscent of Yesterday Haze from Imaginary Authors due to the fig prominence, but much fresher due to the bergamot and perhaps the pear. Overall, not one I would reach for but one to try for fans of fig.

6 out of 10
27th April, 2015
Debaser by D.S. & Durga is a very nice fragrance. At first spray I get fig, iris (one of my favorite notes),with a delicious light coconut. It is peppery and woody. I do not get sweet here. Perfect for spring and summer days.
03rd April, 2015

Add your review of Debaser

Shop for Debaser products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Debaser

There are no member images of Debaser yet. Why not be the first?