Figuier Ardent (2015)

HouseAtelier Cologne
PerfumerRalf Schwieger
SupplierMane

About Figuier Ardent

Figuier Ardent is a shared / unisex perfume by Atelier Cologne. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ralf Schwieger

Reviews of Figuier Ardent

This is the best fig leaf fragrance I've ever smelled. It goes warmly towards the fruit and spices (and I smell some lavender) instead of the usual colder, aqueous fragrances. I usually describe fig fragrances as blue or green. This one is dark purple, almost brown. Unisex. I only wish projection was better. Well worth a full bottle.
02nd May, 2017
Decent fig based fragrance with average longevity and projection. I prefer Philosykos EDP. 6.5/10
18th August, 2016
I didn't know I liked fig until I got this. The saleswoman told me "this one is more of a feminine perfume", but I fell in love with it immediately.
True, there isn't anything avant-garde about it, but it has a gorgeous green, leafy, botanical-gardens-tropical-room feel to it that I find addictive. My only complaint is its lack of staying power. But I'm okay with subtle.
09th August, 2016 (last edited: 08th August, 2016)
I kept waiting for the fig note to appear. It must be so attenuated that it escapes my notice.
This is an acceptable, dry, citrus-green scent. Those notes are good and natural-smelling.
However, given that the fig appears to be missing in action or not particularly distinctive, I can't give this more than a neutral rating.
07th August, 2016
Asha Show all reviews
Top notes : bergamot from Calabria, anise from Turkey, cardamom from Guatemala
Heart notes : fig leaf from Provence, salty fig, black pepper from Madagascar
Base notes : cedarwood from Virginia, iris from Tuscany, tonka bean from Brazil
(from ateliercologne.com)

I tried to like fig fragrances, I really did. When the now popular fig accord came out several years ago, I was at first excited by the novelty. Then I found out that this accord is extremely linear. Its constant emission of artificial fig fruit with a side of coconut becomes banal, almost to the point of torture.

I'm sorry to say that Atelier Cologne Figuier Ardent has no surprises in how I expected a fig-based fragrance to behave. On the spectrum of sweet/fruity to green/woody, Figuier Ardent tends to the green/woody side, but definitely doesn't reach the heights of Heely Eau de Figuier, which is my favorite in this category. Figuier Ardent's drydown is musky, with blended woods and a distinct soapy quality.

One thing that is attractive about the best fig fragrances is that they evoke mediterranean gardens warmed by the sun so as to release the fragrant oils of leaf, stem, wood and fruit. The downer of FA is that it does nothing of the sort--it is basically a non-descript woody cologne with fig in it. The fig lovers can keep this one.
25th June, 2016
For Atelier Cologne, Figuier Ardent is another interesting direction, a fresh fig fragrance with a lot of complexity. It opens, as many do, with some citrus and spicy cardamom, and the spice settles down in the heart of pepper and fig itself, though I did get a hint of fig at the outset. The base is mainly cedar to my nose, and this cedar base is becoming ubiquitous in the Atelier line, but I do get some of the iris as well, and it makes for a slightly sharp, powdery dry down.

I've only tried another "fresh fig" type of fragrance in the past year or so---D.S. & Durga's Debaser--and Figuier Ardent has relatively high freshness and less sweetness. I wouldn't say Figuier Ardent is wholly unique but it strikes me as a unique blend. Somehow out of iris and pepper and fig emerges a fragrance that is refreshing and enjoyable for warm weather wear.

Performance is decent, about what most Ateliers provide, moderate on projection and longevity.

This is definitely the fragrance I like the most from the Azur line so far, as Cedre Atlas and Mandarine Glaciale didn't do much for me (Sud Magnolia seems to be regarded as feminine by many, moreover).

Pricing is in line with most of the line at $125 for 100ml, as well. I somehow doubt I'll buy this one due to my preference of several other fresh fragrances in the line over it, but I'm pleasantly surprised by it, in a good way.

7 out of 10