Le Jardin de Monsieur Li (2015)
by Hermès

Le Jardin de Monsieur Li information

Year of Launch2015

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Le Jardin de Monsieur Li

Jean-Claude Ellena was inspired by the gardens of China to create this fragrance.

Le Jardin de Monsieur Li fragrance notes

Reviews of Le Jardin de Monsieur Li

I'm inclined to think this would make a pleasant home Fragrance, if used sparingly and to cut through as poo-pourri.
A generic WAC fixative anchors to my skin and leaves me a minor "droning" headache.
For me, on skin? Yuck.

A spritz of Leather Oud works just fine in my Masculine “les petits-coins”
01st December, 2018
smelled to me at outset like a domed green scent of mulched grass clippings+green leaves held under a glass bell- which you then turn over to smell.... it then it just whitens out, flattens out, goes from a 3-d volume, to just a 2-d line, to just a 1-d point in space that is just barely on the greener side of infinite nothingness, that hangs around for an hour or 2 and then is gone before you know it. I've rubbed leaves on my wrist that last longer.

27th February, 2018
I recently sampled the entire Jardin range, and this is my favourite.

It's a very vegetal fragrance, and quite abstract. I can't really make out any individual notes, but it strongly reminds me of lush, wet, green things. It also smells of skin that's been baking in the sun; a warm-but-fresh salty ozonic scent that immediately puts me in a good mood.

Together, the notes transport me to a perfect lazy afternoon on a warm summer's day. Lounging around in the back garden, laying in the shade of a tree next to the pond, reading a book, taking a nap, and doing absolutely nothing useful.

The only issue I have with this is that it doesn't last at all on my skin, but the effect it gives is so lovely that I may be tempted to buy a bottle and bring it with me everywhere I go. A perfect summer scent.
17th June, 2017
Kaern Show all reviews
For me this is the least 'chemical' of the 'Jardin' range and smells great. Very green to start and a touch vegetal in the heart, but possesses a lovely fruity floral accord midway through the drydown -- kumquat?. A definite purchase
31st May, 2017
A very evocative, tranportative fragrance - and one that does not immediately grab your attention. One of JCE's greatest accomplishments is his ability to conjure specific locations with his compositions and take wearers on a mental journey. I would add Le Jardin de Monsieur Li to the list of JCE's best fragrances.

I spray this on and my mind wanders to an acquatic park in our city where in the summer, lotus plants flower in the ponds. The flower fragrances mingle with vegetal and earthy smells and create a lovely background... I love it.
31st May, 2017
Snuggle fabric softener scented with vague artificial flowers and vague artificial apple, drying down to Snuggle fabric softener scented with vague artificial green chemicals and vague artificial salt.

I find Hermes as a brand quite interesting, as they basically seek out top artisans worldwide and commission them to make their products. The result is exceptionally well crafted goods and clothes that are very expensive, aimed at very educated luxury consumers. Anyone who would spend $10,000 on porcelain dinnerware or $5,000 on a jacket knows their porcelain or their tailoring and appreciates what they're getting from Hermes.

But the perfume market that Hermes is in doesn't work that way. People who walk in to Sephora or Nordstrom to buy a $80 perfume simply aren't as educated in luxury goods as the people who buy Hermes's other products, which put their perfumer in a rough spot where he either has to put out cutting edge luxury perfumes that the mass market won't understand and buy, or else dumb himself down and make perfumes that aren't the epitome of their craft.

And I think that's where Monsieur Li comes in - this is trying exceptionally hard not to offend or challenge anyone, so I'm afraid it's trying too hard to be a crowdpleaser posing as a work of art. I understand that's just the way business works, but that doesn't mean I have to love Le Jardin de Monsieur Li. I'm afraid it's just a "meh", nothing terrible but nothing amazing either.
30th March, 2017

LE JARDIN DE MONSIEUR LI 0.06 FL OZ × 7

End Date: Saturday Jan-19-2019 11:07:19 PST
Buy It Now for only: $20.00

Member images of Le Jardin de Monsieur Li

There are no member images of Le Jardin de Monsieur Li yet. Why not be the first?