M6 Do Not Ask Me Why (2014)
by CB I Hate Perfume

M6 Do Not Ask Me Why information

Year of Launch2014

HouseCB I Hate Perfume
PerfumerChristopher Brosius

About M6 Do Not Ask Me Why

The company say:

An interpretation of the smell of opium smoke. heady and hypnotic with a distinctive floral note wafting seductively over a deep dry slightly spicy smoke.

M6 Do Not Ask Me Why fragrance notes

Reviews of M6 Do Not Ask Me Why

I had high expectations for this as well, given the stories of being inspired by Baudelaire (of whom I'm also a fan). It had such a dark and psychological/romantic concept, but it hardly delivers. Surprisingly, it starts out with a licorice candy/jujube vibe in my skin that's not too pleasant to my nose. About 20 mins later it transforms into a smoky tea or what I suppose is the hashish effect, which is better. It reminds me of old thrift stores and second-hand bookshops where someone is burning incense all the time.

Though sillage and longevity seem ok (nothing too powerful, just a few hours) it just feels like the execution is too weak; it lacks supporting elements for what should be a unique incense/floral-smoke scent.

I attempted to layer it with a few other scents because CB and Demeter scents are often sort of missing something but turn out to be excellent base scents. Sure enough, I got a great result pairing this with Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black. Don't Ask Me Why mellowed it out for a nice vanilla-incense that lasts longer together.
30th December, 2015
On me this is a smoky and mysterious scent. I don't know what opium smells like but this smells like hash to me. There is a slight floral sweetness. It is intoxicating.
24th June, 2015
Iíll cut to the chase: this was a total disappointment for me. I love everything about CBIHP to the point where I can forgive the dodgy performance of many of the scents, and I even appreciate the water perfume concept more than anyone else I know. I genuinely believe that Brosius has moved, and continues to move, perfume forward in ways like nobody else.

Having drooled over Do Not Ask Me Whyís press release for weeks now, I finally got my nose on it. I was absolutely sold on the concept (opium), the description (distinctive floral over spicy smoke), and the simulacra approach (an imaginative rendering with no direct point of reference). Even though my expectations were high, Iím usually pretty good at attenuating them when needed, but this was just a let down from the beginning ó not because of the way it smells per se (itís a sheer floral over CBís signature soil effect), but because itís a dead ringer for a scent CB made for Demeter years ago: Funeral Home.

I love Funeral Home ó chrysanthemums, carnations, green stems, dirt ó but the similarity between it and DNAMW is ridiculous given that the Demeter can be had for around $20. Whereas DNAMW is a touch less shrill, the basic DNA is all there. Thereís very little smoke involved, but I detect what might perhaps be an iota of leather, yet the scent is totally vague ó which renders it as haunting to a degree, but its presence is feeble, even for a water perfume.

I think the opium connection is a Wildean one as Wilde was known to have a penchant for both green carnations and opium dens. But thatís really what makes this letdown more pointed: itís arguably one of the most interesting concepts that CB has taken on in some time, but simply riffing on an old Demeter marks it as one of the least interesting fragrances that heís produced. Even if you donít own the Demeter original, rationalizing a bottle of this while Funeral Home is still available would be insane. Itís not a terrible scent by any means (although the performance is meagre ó the Demeter actually holds up better), but it feels like a total copout. This could have been so much more than it is.
10th March, 2015

Add your review of M6 Do Not Ask Me Why

Shop for M6 Do Not Ask Me Why products online

Member images of M6 Do Not Ask Me Why

There are no member images of M6 Do Not Ask Me Why yet. Why not be the first?