Violettes du Czar (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseOriza L. Legrand

About Violettes du Czar

The company say:

Of all French perfume makers, only the House of Oriza L. Legrand was chosen as "Purveyor to the Russian Court". In recognition of this honour, it developed a line of fine and delicate fragrances, of which the "Violettes du Czar" stood out for its unmatched quality, making it a favourite of the well-to-do and the Courts of Europe. The violet of Nice, infinitely finer, more delicate, and more distinguished than others, married to the virile accents of pedigree Russian leather, balsam and amber, is less restrained than the words that describe it.

Violettes du Czar fragrance notes

Reviews of Violettes du Czar

Sharp violet. Slight, quick starch note. Medicinal note. Slight urine scent underneath. Something high-pitched here. Then there is an almost Ouzo or licorice accord.

Iris, heliotrope, and violet in the heart, all just sing. There is nothing powdery about these notes so far. Purple flowers on a different level. The floral seems to drift away very slowly as the base begins to appear. Gentle balsamic, woody, faint oriental vibe. A lingering violet note in the base, at last, appears as powder. Well done, Oriza!
25th December, 2018
This is very heavy on the violets and it seems so concentrated that I feel like I'm smelling a violet based oil (and I am saying it because I get sort of a wet oily/balmy smell). However, they're not left alone, but surrounded by iris and a soft suede. The dry down leaves me with a pronounced musk smell backed up by the violets and amber.
Violet is not among the notes I like, but if it were, I suppose I'd be head over hells for this perfume. I highly recommend it for violet lovers.
03rd October, 2018
Oriza Le Grand began in 1720 as a house bound to the French Court, although its prestige as an international house of perfumed products did not begin until 1811. Their Doubles Violettes du Czar originated in 1862, but was revived for the 1900 Universal Exhibition, from which my vintage sample is derived.

Le Grand was the only house named as official purveyor to the Russian Court and this entirely original take on the violet scent is nothing short of stunning. The idea of doubling the intensity of the violet oil and combining it with a Russian leather is so unique as to boggle the modern olfactory mind.

What a hit it is! The subtlest of orris suede leather notes, combined with amber and musk perfectly suggest leather that has then been rubbed with pure violet oils. The only other intense violet I have thus encountered has been the Egyptian Shimy Brothers’ version from the 1920s.

This is for the true violet lover and right up there with the Shimy as being one of the very finest this nose has ever encountered.

I have no idea how the recent re-formulation and release (2014) stacks up to the original. I am wary of the Guaiac wood as it did not exist as an ingredient in perfumery in the nineteenth century and always puts me off with its bitter and stringent oud quality. Also the modern version is so inexpensive, I doubt any real violet is used, only a chemical equivalent. I must say the modern bottle is quite beautiful and the packaging exquisite.

If I do experience the reincarnation in future, I will edit this review.

For the time being, I rate the vintage as a true classic – one I’ll bet Guerlain wished it could have been responsible for. By the way, there is a 1.35 oz. bottle of the vintage out there on the internet.

20th December, 2017
This perfume has my heart racing and my smile big. I love everything about it. I fell deep for this refined and complex perfume. It reminds me of those violet pastille candies at first and it kept changing and changing and each offering was delightful. Powder, leather, candy, wood. I could wear it every day. I will definitely save up to buy a full bottle.
14th October, 2015
A complex (but subtle) perfume that opens like one of those overly vegetal irises that are easier to admire than to love. There are minty tones, suede accents, something a bit sharp and sweaty (the tolu?), old school spicy wood – this Czar is no simpleton. Surrounded by these rather butch companions, the sweet violets that have the starring role are quite transformed – ‘heart of gold, fist of steel’ clichés come to my mind.
This is yet another perfume that Oriza have resurrected that seems to be calling from a bygone age and, once one has adjusted to its complexity, it’s a winner. The powders, shimmery wood notes, melancholy heliotrope create an aura that is reminiscent of many a refined long-gone offering. They offer magic to the central accord of violet-iris-suede.
Wears light and lingering – just as I want it to.
10th April, 2015

End Date: Sunday Mar-10-2019 15:33:53 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $550.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Violettes du Czar

There are no member images of Violettes du Czar yet. Why not be the first?