Eau Mer (2015)

HousePekji
PerfumerÖmer Ipekçi

About Eau Mer

The company say:

Eau Mer starts off with a strong note of chlorine, like a newly washed floor in a hospital, but then the ocean comes wafting in, briny and metallic. It brings me back to my childhood when my uncle used to take me and my brother on fishing trips to lakes in Ontario on his small motor boat. I always loved the combination of gasoline fumes mixed with dank algae on a humid summer day, and that's what Eau Mer is. It's marvelous.

Reviews of Eau Mer

A freshly spicy salty/mineral chypre. Frankly I find this olfactory hybrid moderately interesting despite kind of pale and somewhat onedimensional in its central phase. Nothing new under the sun anyway. Pekji Eau Mer opens with a liquid-spicy/green peel-conjuring/minty-aromatic/floral (citrus groves-like) kind of sour synthetic blast a la Atelier Cologne Trefle Pur (namely like an hyper traditional fresh-aromatic-hesperidic eau de cologne as several 4711, Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria, Roger&Gallet etc) immediately flanked by a salty/iodate and decidedly anisic-medicinal vibe (deriving from mineral chlorine) and by a fleeting jasmine note incredibly diaphane like a meteor. Chlorine is the real soul of this mineral-citric-calonic experimental accord and it provides a detergent metallic, deliberately synthetic aura (something ideally in a middle way between a citrus grove close to the sea and an hyperbaric chamber). Saltiness seems like partially coming from vetiver as ideally combined with anise/angelica, ozonic patterns and woods. Jasmine is ghostly, namely quite notable in the middle of the first citric blast but progressively disappearing in the "void" of core and dry down. In this final phase Eau Mer is not so distant from Kenzo Air (salty, anisic, licoricey, woody). I get partially a minty/litchi-like/citric presence a la Just Cavalli Blue as well. Further olfactive references jumping on my moonshiny mind? Yes, Kenzo Homme Eau de Toilette Boisee, Terre d'Hermes and Guerlain L'homme L'Eau Boisee. Interesting but not exactly my cup of tea.
02nd November, 2015
This reminds me of being at the lake as a child. It has a brisk, sparkly-sweet top note that I assume is jasmine and is backed by a gasoline smell with anise that gives it a clean algae vibe. It's heavy if I'm not in a good mood, but it's conceptually very interesting and nice when I get a whiff on the wind.

I don't get the chlorine note specifically, and I don't get the hospital reference. That's a good thing, though. This fragrance has a lot of contrast you don't smell everywhere.
14th October, 2015
Either you have courage or you have not! Either you are an artist or you're pathetic! This looks like a job badly copied.
How boring! Another perfume for bloggers!

There are many unpretentious perfumers because they can't be pretentious as they demand the "dirty work" to bloggers!

In fact it seems that bloggers know perfectly to define what is beautiful and what is ugly! The both, perfumer and blogger, are a combination as dog and owner, where the dog is obviously the perfumer.

Bloggers, you need dogs! A dog/perfumer is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

01st June, 2015
In my exploration of Pekji creations going first on the ones i thought i wouldn't like I chose as a second candidate Eau Mer. The name is a play on the pronunciation, which in French is similar to pronunciation of its creator's name, Omer, and contains an aquatic theme, the second most dreaded subject for me after animalic scents.

I was less afraid tough after I read the description of Eau Mer, which is inspired by Omer childhood memories, when his uncle took him and his brother to fish. The author defines it as an overview of an aromatic and acquatic mediterranean aroma - a mixture of ocean salt smell, gasoline, jasmine, algae, ouzo. On another level, the author also defines a clean aroma, a sterile hospital environment, where the smell is mixed with water from the ocean breeze.

In my view, Eau Mer explores interestingly the salty nuances that you can get both of vetiver and anise roots - here represented by the typical alcoholic drink of Greece and the island of Chypre, Ouzo. Vetiver seems to me the main thing here, providing the damp aroma and herbal algae and the distant water tap. The opening has a metallic, salty tone, but that blends to the clean aroma and slightly floral jasmine - which I suspect to be the sambac variety due the neroli flower nuance that variety that this variety has and that is in evidence here. The anise smell appears soon after, and it is interesting that it seems in fact less sweet here, slightly alcoholic and complementing the light floral smell. As it reaches the base, vetiver gets increasingly dominant, an slightly salty and green woody aroma that makes me think of a very good quality vetiver and that intrigues me for not having the earthy nuance so evident.

Just as Holy Shit, Eau Mer was a pleasant surprise, one that I did not expect to like and that pleased me. In its exploration, it mades me think of an old classic Annick Goutal which was recently reformulated- Annick Goutal Vetiver - but without the watermelon nuance that sounded strange at the Annick creation. It is a creation that fulfills the purpose of the author's memory at the same time offering a quality interpretation thereof and easy to use. Certainly falls under the category of good vetiver perfumes.
24th April, 2015
If there's something I learned from Pekji's fragrances is that there aren't good notes and bad ones but only either a good use of them or a bad one.

Eaumer opens with something I perceive as citrusy-green. I guess a mixture of green notes, petit-grain / neroli and other fizzy things. It immediately makes you think of an Eau De Cologne but, at the same time, it doesn't feel *retrò* or *old-fashioned*. Intstead, because of its gasoline-like undertones, it's reassuringly modern and even edgy if you want. There's also a jasmine component thrown in the mix that together with a chlorine-like kind of ozonic accord, enhances the overall airy character of this fragrance. I know this might sound challenging or scary but, honestly, this is anything but. Compared to either Holy Shit or Cuir 6, this is definitely on the *easier* side of the spectrum. More versatile, easier to like and more *tradionally* perfumey especially during the amber / vetiver-driven drydown. It's basically a fresh fragrance with a twist but whereas most other similarly themed fragrances fall either on aquatic or flat white musky synth kind of stuff, Eaumer is vibrating, alive and extremely satisfying throughout.

Very Good!
20th April, 2015
drseid Show all reviews
EauMer opens with a quite natural smelling bitter green orange and herbal green leaf accord tandem with a slightly sparkling gentle marine undertone. Making its way to its early heart the composition stays highly linear as it soon falls into an approximation of the classic reference Eau de Cologne style but with the marine aspect growing in strength and adding an airy ozonic quality with just a tinge of pollution and jasmine florals. During the late dry-down the slightly polluted ozonic marine accord recedes, revealing a pleasant clean, slightly sweet musky base the melds with its remnants through the finish. Projection is excellent and longevity nears outstanding at about 15 hours on skin.

I was lucky enough to sample this composition well over a year prior to its release when the perfumer was generous enough to allow me to blind sniff a sample under a different holding name. I actually wrote most of the comments in the objective section of this review back then as feedback, only tweaking them modestly for this review of the now finished product with its final (and dare I say ingenious) name, EauMer. One of the things I added into the descriptor that I did not pick up on well back then is the "pollution" aspect. When I say "pollution" I don't mean the kind of rank scent one smells with rotting rubbish hovering in the air from a trash bin, but rather the kind you might smell as the wind whips over the sea letting one catch a whiff of airy ozonic marine with a tinge of something not quite pleasant, but really not *unpleasant* either. The whole thing conjures up maybe a grove of orange trees overlooking the slightly polluted sea, where you get the whole fragrant experience together, smelling both realistic and absolutely fabulous. Apart from its extremely interesting and unusual natural smelling marine aspect, EauMer sets itself apart from pinnacles in the fresh citrus and marine genres with its tremendous performance metrics while still maintaining all the quality of compositions like Eau de Cologne by Chanel. In fact, EauMer lasts and lasts on skin to the tune of a solid 15 hours with excellent projection. This is truly a gorgeous, easy to wear reference caliber composition in the "fresh" genre, and indeed if Pekji ever could ramp up production, they would surely sell a heck of a lot of this stuff as despite words like "marine" and "pollution" EauMer is extremely accessible and easy to wear at all times. Folks, take note right now that the fiercely talented perfumer behind EauMer and the rest of the amazing Pekji compositions, Omer Ipekci, is more talented than most of the top names in the field and those lucky few smelling Mr. Ipekci's compositions now are witnessing the birth of a star in real time. I recommend anyone reading this review to not miss out! The bottom line is the $105 per 30ml bottle EauMer is as good as it gets in the fresh genre, both in fragrance profile and performance metrics earning an "outstanding" rating of 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5 and an extremely strong recommendation to all.
20th April, 2015

Add your review of Eau Mer

Shop for Eau Mer products online

Shop for Eau Mer at online perfumeries

Member images of Eau Mer

There are no member images of Eau Mer yet. Why not be the first?