I Miss Violet (2015)

HouseThe Different Company
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
PackagingThierry de Baschmakoff

About I Miss Violet

I Miss Violet is a shared / unisex perfume by The Different Company. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour. The bottle was designed by Thierry de Baschmakoff

I Miss Violet fragrance notes

Reviews of I Miss Violet

What can I say? I am a violet whore. I love the stuff. Can't get enough. Then along comes this one.

Delicate top notes of violet leaf, orange, and ambrette. It is a brief combination start. What really stands out are the violet and iris. I then get a little osmanthus and mimosa. The base isn't very strong or pronounced. I get none of the more "robust" notes like leather or wood. I pretty much only smell vanilla and musk. I won't turn down a violet [or iris] perfume. They are all thumbs-up, for me.

25th August, 2018
The Bathers by Paul Cézanne 1898 1905
23rd March, 2018
Not quite the violet-leather rival to Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur I was hoping for. This TDC has more violets but less leather. I thought it smells a touch sickly, and the pairing of the candied floral with a fizzy topnote just about screams 'violet sweets!'

As the top recedes, a suede-like accord emerges from the base to join the violet candy party along with hints of iris. Interestingly with violet, iris and suede in the picture, one would expect things to get powdery fast. But it never did. Thanks to a hefty slug of white musks, the texture remains clean, almost sparkling.

The road to drydown is sadly, forgettable.

While I enjoy violet scents and love violet leaf notes, I can't find the heart for I Miss Violet. Which is hardly surprising considering many TDC scents, no matter how well-executed, leave me cold. This is one violet I will not miss.
20th November, 2015
Quarry Show all reviews
There just a couple fragrances that have an honest-to-goodness hypnotic, mood-altering affect on me. One of them is the beautiful (but only the original) Caron Violette Precieuse. (I'm sure you could register my reaction to VP with a blood-pressure cuff. It has a palpable meditative effect on me with one whiff, and it slays me that this stuff is no longer available.) For daily use, I can rely on Serge Lutens Bois de Violette. Serge’s violet is held in place within a perfect structure of supporting notes. TDC’s I Miss Violet, by comparison, is almost a soliflore, very lovely, but absent the swoon effect of VP or the full orchestration of BdV. I could easily wear IMV and enjoy it in a light-hearted sort of way, but it doesn't belong on any pedestals.
01st November, 2015
drseid Show all reviews
I Miss Violet opens with smooth carrot-like iris and bright slightly aqueous, semi-metallic violet leaf. Moving to the early heart the composition turns mild to moderately powdery, as the violet leaf gives way to a floral violet and supple suede leather starring tandem with the iris remaining in significant support. During the late dry-down the leather turns somewhat more rugged and more pronounced as it joins a deep, natural smelling vague woody accord and dark musk with just a hint of underlying vanilla-derived sweetness through the finish. Projection is below average and longevity just above average at 9-10 hours on skin.

The Collection Excessive offerings have been the real standouts in The Different Company's line-up, so any new release bearing that moniker demands attention and I Miss Violet is its latest entrant. The first thing one notices when the composition is applied on skin is it has a very different presentation of violet and violet leaf than one might expect. The presentation here is just as much about smooth iris and suede leather as it is about the violet, semi-metallic leaf and all. The last time I was this surprised in a violet presentation (in a good way) was Violette Fumee by the late, great Mona Di Orio. The two compositions really are dissimilar for the most part, but both commendably take the violet and show true innovation in its presentation and use with other materials. The late dry-down on the other hand is a more mundane though competent leathery woody affair, but the journey getting to it is quite worthwhile. My main gripe with the composition is its performance metrics are far from stellar. At this kind of price point, one expects a bit more oomph than the near-skin scent found here, and a bit more tenacity wouldn't go amiss either. That said, middling performance metrics aside, I Miss Violet is a fine creation by the talented Bertrand Duchaufour that while maybe is just a hair behind the other offerings in Collection Excessive, holds its own against most peers rather well. The bottom line is the $245 per 50ml I Miss Violet is a largely successful, innovative release marred only slightly by its semi-dodgy performance metrics, earning it a "very good" to "excellent" 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 and a solid recommendation to all except those seeking a powerhouse (or those hunting superb value, as $245 per 50ml with this kind of performance is a bit of a tough sell).
03rd September, 2015
I Miss Violet starts as a straight up green violet, hitting you immediately with a minty, watery violet+violet leaf accord that reminded me of Unicorn Spell. But only for a minute.

In a snap, a prominent leather joins, with a dusty, scratchy herb (ambrette) that suggests cumin but doesn’t singe the nose, as cumin does. Next to join is a memorable woody note, neither cedar nor oak (although Chene did come to mind). The Notes list says Mahogany, and although I have furniture of mahogany, I have no idea what that wood is supposed to smell like, in a perfume or wood working setting. Lets just say its not your typical wood note, and thats a good thing.

The final piece of the middle accord is fruity. Mandarin and osmanthus join, and while osmanthus can be quite sweet, here it is not. The osmanthus blends well with and complements the leather, adding an interesting dimension to the main leather-wood-violet accord. Toss in a dash of something yeasty (Notes say champagne) and you have I Miss Violet.

So the thumb nail for the first two hours is: floral leather, featuring violet, ambrette seed, osmanthus, yeast and an interesting wood accord. Not ground breaking, IMV nonetheless puts several familiar materials together in a very interesting and pleasing way.

If IMV had managed to just hold that profile for a few hours, never mind actually improve on that opening, as the great ones do, it would have earned a solid 4 stars. Regrettably, instead, at about the 2 hr mark, IMV falls off rather dramatically into a low key, boring dry down of vanilla/amber + violet. What a pity!

Like Ostara earlier this year, IMV is built for folks who like a beautiful opening with two or three interesting accords... and a quick, uneventful ending. Perfume for busy people who don't have time for dry downs.

Verdict: neutral
20th August, 2015

The Different Company I miss Violet Unisex Parfum EDP Spray 1.7 oz 50 ml Sealed

End Date: Monday Dec-17-2018 7:15:30 PST
Buy It Now for only: $119.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

The Different Company I miss Violet Parfum EDP Spray 1.7 oz 50 ml Sealed x 2 PCS

End Date: Monday Dec-17-2018 7:15:53 PST
Buy It Now for only: $249.99

I Miss Violet by The Different Company 1.7 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women

End Date: Monday Dec-17-2018 10:29:18 PST
Buy It Now for only: $171.99

Member images of I Miss Violet

There are no member images of I Miss Violet yet. Why not be the first?