Morning Chess (2015)

SupplierRobertet
Creative DirectorJan Ahlgren

About Morning Chess

The company say:

Inspired by the memory of the summer holidays we shared with my grandfather, Morning Chess mimics the ripe, green lushness of summer on coastal Falkenberg. There, in a summer cottage, my grandfather, with his two sons, would pass hours battling wits over a chessboard. Sweden would save all its light for those summer moments, endless, bright mornings. The grassy greenness is light enough to hint at the evergreen sharpness of the distant winter air.

Morning Chess fragrance notes

Reviews of Morning Chess

Erok32 Show all reviews
This smells 95% similar to Aventus to my nose. I'd even venture to say that it's possibly better, in that it has a distinct leathery note to make it feel more complex.
23rd July, 2016
Smelled this a few days back in Paris. It's remarkably a Mix of aventus and Tuscan leather. Even my wife said "smells like something you already have". I think it might be less expensive per OZ than aventus or TF so do the math before buying.
14th July, 2016 (last edited: 20th July, 2016)
This was easily my favorite in the new Vilhelm line, with Stockholm coming in a close second.

A very fruity/aromatic opening makes it perfect for sunny spring/fall mornings, and the leather/patchouli/green dry down makes it great for days when it doesn't get too hot but it's sunny outside, the air is crisp and clean, and you really just want to get out doors. Every time I wear this and I get a whiff of it, I'm immediately transported to endless green hills, surrounded by mint leaves, and laying on a bed of leather.

The longevity and sillage are off the charts and make the Barneys price point worthwhile if you really dig the scent.

Has become one of my favorite scents with spring coming on.
25th March, 2016
Morning Chess (sub titled Verdant Swedish Summer) has a very clean, ethereal, vinyl, perfectly synthetic, sanitized otherworldly aroma at opening which is very nice to smell. It starts out clean and of the freshest leather ever smelled and just keep getting cleaner and more refined. It moves past leather into clean green but very dry and soft areas. I have to really stretch my imagination to believe the notes pyramid of: bergamot, tuscan leather, galbanum, patchouli and black amber although after I think about it for awhile I might be able to see these. The feeling or sensibility of Morning Chess is scandinavian, no frills, pure. Similar scents to this one? Mister Marvelous from Byredo is kind of similar, and both are from Swedish makers - interesting. The perfumer is Jerome Epinette who also has authored most of Byredo's perfumes as well as many for Atelier and Tom Ford. This is a very high quality fragrance and it is very original. If you like clean green scents and dry leather and abstract new scents you will probably like this one as much as I do. I had to have the bottle!
02nd December, 2015
Kaern Show all reviews
I think this stands head and shoulders above the others in this [fairly] new range from New York. The CD is Jan Ahlgren, a Swede in exile, who used to model for Chanel.

The bergamot and galbanum in the top is intoxicating, clean, fresh and exhilarating. The base is lush with a velvety ambery accord, although still retaining a 'green' and almost at times fruity 'sharpness'.

I hate to say this really, but at times this does remind me of Aventus quite strongly.
18th September, 2015

Add your review of Morning Chess

Shop for Morning Chess products online

Member images of Morning Chess

There are no member images of Morning Chess yet. Why not be the first?