Berlin im Winter (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HouseBaruti
PerfumerSpyros Drosopoulos

About Berlin im Winter

Berlin im Winter is a shared / unisex perfume by Baruti. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Spyros Drosopoulos

Berlin im Winter fragrance notes

Reviews of Berlin im Winter

BLUF: One of the most unique and well thought out fragrances I've come across. Niche creativity with 80's designer performance. Just fantastic.

Really neat opening, a different kind of dark. Immediately I detect plum, damp synthetic woods, lavender, and a little iris...but it's not waxy or powdery. Instead it is velvety soft to the touch and dark purple, almost brown. The way the fruits, incense, and faint coffee note interplay is really comforting and beautiful, as it all lies atop a gently humming lavender base. As it dries it takes a decidedly more balsamic turn but it doesn't lose what I liked about the opening. It's not linear, but it's close; fine by me because I love everything about every part of this.

This probably isn't helpful information, but if I really try, it ALMOST smells like organic decay in a temperate rainforest a la Oregon Coast Range. Were the sweeter plummy/cassis aspect not there, it might smell a bit like digging in the groundcover at the base of a huge Western Hemlock where the permanently shaded damp forest floor is composed of shed bark, spent pine needles in the throes of decomposition, sap, and other plant detritus. I find both the scent and the imagery it conjures absolutely beautiful, almost Zen-like for me.

There is a pronounced density during the lifespan of Berlin im Winter (and many from Baruti - all Extrait de Parfum), which by the way, has longevity that is just short of permanent, but it's not an overstuffed/impenetrable type of dense. There is still room for the notes to breath. I seem to smell a compact core of balsamic woods, both ripe/juicy & leathery dried fruit, and resins, around which the rest of the notes (a dark rose/lavender combo & faint coffee) orbit on irregular elliptical tracks - coming into clear view and then zipping back off into space, only to show up again after you've forgotten about them.

rbaker - "A contemporary masterpiece"
purecaramel - "Masterpiece? Oh, yes."
myself - "What they said."

Some will find this weird and unwearable. For others, like myself, it will give you a warm and fuzzy feeling that there is hope for modern perfumery yet.

I eagerly paid full retail for a bottle within hours of trying the sample a good friend graciously sent me. Few have connected with/left an impact on me the way Berlin im Winter has, I'll surely never be without it. I've been wearing it for close to a year now and have been daunted by reviewing it, as I am with many of my favorites. Part of me wants to write a FrankieChocolate story about it, but I won't...or is that what I just did?
06th February, 2017
I received Berlin Im Winter as a bonus sample from Indiescents.
This is pretty distinctive. Even my newbie nose can tell that there's a lot going on here.
It opens very sweet- heavy on the anise and lavender over a juicy "purple" almost berry-like sweetness. What holds my attention most here is that the busy combination of things going on here reminds me of elemi. It is salty-sweet, making me wonder if by "plum" in the description, they might mean umeboshi: the Japanese preserved plum. This stays savory and as the florals take over for the fruits, I feel like I'm standing near someone who, after finishing a cup of strong coffee, has popped a Choward's violet candy in their mouth.
Salty liquorice (yes to the all-sorts description!) and lavender stick around as frankincense arrives. This isn't churchy "liturgical" frankincense that smolders, but is the oil in a jar, or a handful of dried resin.
After a few hours, this dries down ambery and sweet, retaining the frankincense and salty lavender.
Overall, this is a win. It lasts and lasts. And is never boring. It's even a little challenging IMO. It's definitely worth a sample!
20th January, 2017
Berlin Im Winter has a very heady opening of sweet coffee, lavender and berries. It all blends together to give the initial impression of a very strong liquorice with a candy sweetness that puts me inside a big bag of Liquorice Allsorts. It’s a heavy scent, packed full of calories, thick, resinous and molasses-like. To my nose, quite gourmand.

Of the three people I let sniff this, no-one liked it and one asserted “it smells like you’ve just opened a bag of liquorice allsorts”, so I wasn’t alone in my impression. Even still, I can’t say I dislike this fragrance, it’s just that it prominently contains a few things I don’t really enjoy; sweetness and coffee I’m not crazy about in fragrance (in a cup, absolutely!)

Longevity is good, as is sillage. I didn’t get much in the way of development; on my skin it stayed the same until it faded away many hours later.

I’m giving it a thumbs up for originality (I know of no other perfume I could compare it to) and although it’s not to my taste, it’s certainly not a bad fragrance.
02nd November, 2016
Berlin Im Winter is a rich resinous juicy (plummy, red/black berrish) leather-centered accord (a leather-iris-cassis dominant accord) with a plain aromatic initial vibe (strong lavender), hints of woodiness and a profound kind of vintage aura (a retro background). Leather is immediately heady but opening is mostly mastered by cool lavender and juicy fruitiness (plum, cassis, may be tangerine). It seems to detect a vintage violet all around (actually iris and berrish fruitiness give this illusion), something genuinely retro, incensey, dusty, mouldy and stuffy (but at same time kind of plastic, medicinal and plummy-gummy-berrish). There is all around this vintage petroleous-rosey oudish (and kind of soapy-floral victorian/barber-shop at same time) vibe conjuring me more than vaguely several Histoires de Parfum's classic issues (mostly Petroleum and Rosam) while I detect as well a neo-chypre syrupy/fruity synth combination which I've previously detected in several 4160 Tuesday's neo-vintage (for instance The vintage cities: Paris 1948 jump on mind). Along the way the juicy-syrupy-resinous fruitiness stoutly resists as joined to leather, oudh (an hay-like and myrrh's mastered oud a la L'Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh), aromatic patterns and soapy iris. Frankly is out of me catching this "irish coffee"'s vibe while I can definitely see the dominant cassis with its redolent-juicy-aromatic twist. There is something "evocatively" rainy, dodgy, retro, mysterious, solitary and sad in this "berliner" dark-fruity Baruti's elusive (unisex) creation. What this creation is going to be evocative about? May be is evocative about the old Berlin of the 80's still grey and rainy. I have no news about it but my imagination conveys my mind back in that gloomy Berlin which I've visited for the first time in the far 1980 and which was so different from the dynamic and "bright" contemporary Berlin. I suggest to wait dry down and most of all avoiding to be fooled by the strong resinous mark you feel for long on skin while I recommend everyone to enjoy the long (more structured) projection by catching at distance its multifaceted sophisticated twist.
03rd October, 2016 (last edited: 05th October, 2016)
This fragrance is nothing like I imagined it. What a strange cacophony of floral, coffee, sour, sweet, etc. The opening was the best part..heavy on the coffee, but oh...it got worse. I've never smelled a fragrance that smelled quite like cat spray...until today, but that's exactly what Berlin Im Winter turned into on my skin after it dried down. I felt just like an old tom cat had marked his territory all over my neck and wrists. I had to scrub it off after about 5 hours. It was getting more sour smelling and scabby as time went on. Sounds like others absolutely love this, but honestly, there's no way I could wear this out in public again. I'll try some tests at home to see if I get some better results.
22nd June, 2016
First of all, I would suggest that there is a fraction of NoOud in this perfume. It is the same High Quality Synthetic Sandalwood plushness that exists in Vreeland Absolutely Vital.

Second of all rbaker has provided a highly accurate explanation and picture of what this is.

I agree that the opening is very Pregoni-esque.

The body of the scent differs in that it is more voluptuous, pastel and romantic than O'Driu. All Staccato is reserved for the opening.

Ultimately this becomes a waltz between the High points of Cassis, Rose and Quality Synthetic Wood.

Masterpiece?

Oh, yes, this has all of the texture, colour and scent, of Art, Creativity and Precision. Beautifully orchestrated.

Think Berlin Philharmonic billowing clouds of exquisiteness.
14th April, 2016

Add your review of Berlin im Winter

Shop for Berlin im Winter products online

Member images of Berlin im Winter

There are no member images of Berlin im Winter yet. Why not be the first?