Salome (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HousePapillon Artisan Perfumes
PerfumerElizabeth Moores

About Salome

Salome is a shared / unisex perfume by Papillon Artisan Perfumes. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Elizabeth Moores

Reviews of Salome

My full flacon just came in!

Salome is a complex, witchy brew expressly designed for erotic contemplation. Cumin and animal musks create an animalic raunch that is undeniable... Yet those of us who adore skanky perfumes will love it. While it is being compared to animalic chypres of yesteryear, no fragrance from perfumery's "Golden Age" (say, 1912--1970) ever dared to be this barnyard dirty... unambiguously so.

Texas cedar figures very prominently in this blend, and I'm surprised it's not offered as one of the notes in the above diagram for rating. There also appear to be some Indian "ayurvedic"-type notes present in this scent, not mentioned either. There is, for instance, a medicinal aromatic afoot... I think it's camphor... an unusual note I love.

Something in the opening notes smells, to me, like the potties one smelled on 1970's Greyhound buses. As in: clean trying to mask un-clean.

Fragrantica, above, lists "leather" as one of its keywords. I guess it's the styrax + castoreum they're observing.

The scent dries down to what seems to be a very...um... woman-like smell, if you catch my meaning. This scent is animalic far beyond that of Muscs Koublai-Khan, Rochas Femme, Kouros, Shalimar, Tabu, Absolue Pour Le Soir, Bal a Versailles. In fact, its only competition for skank-factor might be Brent Leonesios's NO. 8

As I hit a hot, steamy shower tonight, I got a whiff of the tobacco note: it's not fresh tobacco... no, it's stale, grey cigarette smoke, mingling with the civet. My, my-- our SALOME has been a naughty girl in so many ways. But it's intriguing, and adds a further note of audacious loucheness to the mix.

Yet Luca Turin is correct in that, this melange of notes is blended so expertly, so smoothly, that one cannot fault it... It does that classic thing of creating a unique Gestalt all its own.

But I love SALOME. I'm a guy, and will wear it happily anywhere I want. Who knew Bad could be so Good?
10th November, 2018
I dont dare say what this reminds me of😅.most skanky scent that I own. I only wear it when in a daring mood and in the right company of people that can appreciate it
06th May, 2018
This smells similar to the bottle of supremely aged <i>Bal à Versailles</i> in the cupboard of an old woman I know. I visit her regularly and always take a chance to sniff the bottle.

This old woman once wanted to be a rabbi but, as a woman, was not allowed official entry into the training program. Undeterred, she went anyway, uncredited, invisible yet never unnoticed, just a complete baller with ultimate self-respect who was not in the slightest interested in the approval of others, only in the path to knowledge.

Reading the reviews about crotches and sex, you might think this an odd mix with either rabbinics or the elderly. I think not. First, I smell a strong soapy note. I think this is just a genetically-determined reaction to one of the components of <i>Salome</i> (and <i>Bal à Versailles</i>), so make sure to try before you buy. I love this effect and think it blends superbly with the other ingredients. It might not be for you although it sure is better than what I guess a urine smell would be like.

Second of all, although Salome herself is depicted as an ineffective seductress in the Christian tradition, in Jewish history she was actually a serious queen. So it often is that the strong women of one tradition are portrayed as shallow sexual vampires by the (male-centred?) tradition which seeks to overwrite it. Well, you need to be a queen to wear this perfume. Some people WILL hate it and you have to rise above that and deliver with supreme confidence.

You weren't allowed in? You go anyway, and excel to the shock of everyone. That's the essence of this fragrance to me.
18th March, 2018
Papillon Artisan Perfumes / Salome

The olfactory group: Chypre Floral
Odor Characteristic: Hot and bitter
high durability
Play smell: Suitable

Starting note:

The first spray The first thing you'll find is the smell of bitter and sour citrus chords. It will not take more than a few moments.

Rhubarb leaves and dusted wood are old and earthy next guests you experience.

Then the scent gets a bit steady and you will find on the side of smoky, woody, black and burned leather.

Middle notes:

The smell of black-and-white chocolate flavor is a little more. At this stage, the scent of bitter taste, floral and powdery flavor in the fragrance is less fragrant, and the chords are slightly less easily dissolved, but they are heavily dull, animal, dirty and dirty.

Final note:

There is not much difference between notes of this fragrance.
You can clearly see the chords of the previous notes in this stage of perfume.

One of the differences between the notes is the smell of bitterness, the smell of smoke and the presence of a weak vanilla scent that comes with the heat and bitterness I saw first.

At this stage, the weight of the work is reduced and the aroma of black and chocolate will make you enjoyable.

Papillon Artisan Perfumes Salome

Leather aromas are wooden, black, animated and spicy
A collection of heavy notes ...!
Heavy and slightly uniform scent.

Hearty aromatic fragrance so I feel I do not understand the fragrance.
I had not seen any perfume so heavy that it was difficult to separate the chords.

Wearing such an aroma for anyone is not possible. It is dry, heavy and harsh.

You did not expect this perfume to feel excitement and excitement. It may make you feel tired and depressed.
Do not expect much feedback.
The imagination of people around you is scented with smell of silt, heavy leaf and burned wood with warm leather ...!

An image of perfume in your mind will see you in an adult person who has one-handed wine and in the other hand a mint-tobacco cigar and wants to enjoy the magnificent 20th century party.

Your receipt of this perfume will be a person who is decorated, dignified, mysterious, calm and at the same time proud and rogue.

Papillon Salome

You can get dressed for special occasions

For adults, it will be beautiful with raincoats and dark and gray trousers.

I wanted to make the salome a bit more refreshing, more flexible and relaxed, so do not let it off, that this fragrance is suitable for middle-aged adults and I still have to wear it.

Salome has a bipolar state and is full of contradictions, you may fall in love with or hate

Sillage: 4/5

Longevity: 4/5

Scent: 3/5

Overall: 3.75 / 5
09th February, 2018
Salome is not my bag of chips. I purchased a generous sample after seeing Salome win so many Basenote accolades. I've been trying for many months now with Salome, bringing it back out and giving it another go. I'm no stranger to complex assaults on my olfactory sensors, but Salome never tames them.

As other reviewers have stated, a little goes a long way. Salome has also offended those around me. I've receive more negative feedback and comments when wearing Salome.
19th November, 2017 (last edited: 29th November, 2017)
A real thriller. A total skank. Oh my, a classically styled wonder.

Salome is resolutely animalic. But it's also fairly floral, powdery, and faintly aldehydic. The effusive opening is uric and ammoniac and indolic, thrusting jasmine like a stadium speaker pounding out bass. The hyraceum (Africa stone) is almost imperceptible, but this deft integration is clearly in play, that sort of old book, history museum hall aura that helps invoke a sense that this perfume was made several decades ago.

Moores has really succeeded in composing something whose sum is much, much greater than its parts; again, the integration here is masterful.

Alluring, and for the courageous and the cognoscenti.

24th September, 2017

Add your review of Salome

Member images of Salome

There are no member images of Salome yet. Why not be the first?