Salome (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HousePapillon Artisan Perfumes
PerfumerElizabeth Moores

About Salome

Salome is a shared / unisex perfume by Papillon Artisan Perfumes. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Elizabeth Moores

Reviews of Salome

Beautiful floral opening strong in jasmine mixed with musk. Sort of the same opening feel as Kiehls, but they depart pretty quickly. There is much more going on here, and at a much deeper level. The heart is a gorgeous birch tar castoreum leather feel, a bit smoky, and just really deep, and a bit dark, like a hazy dark tan color. Really something i have not run across much. It has a timeless beauty to it. It left an oil sheen where i applied it. Really just smells of high quality. Makes me want to check out other things they've done, that type of quality. Thumbs up.
11th June, 2019 (last edited: 05th December, 2019)
Cognac-like, booze infused jasmine. Cold, stony note. Mossy oak. Mountain earth. Hints of bitter orange. Rich, thick patchouli and styrax. Rich too, are animalics, in an under-layer.

Rose is here somewhere. I cannot find her directly. I sense her voice. She must be shy. Jasmine, animals, and resinous delights continue to smooth out into a pashmina of aroma. Very well constructed perfume, this! One of the finest oriental style scents I've experienced. Excellent sillage, especially in fresh air. Very long-lasting.

Animalic notes become even deeper over time. It becomes "amber-y", too. I love it!
27th April, 2019
A fantastic, if nostalgic, perfume. The opening was ornate, over the top, abundant floral sweet-notes (unashamedly pretty and feminine, not playing it cool or coy), setting such a gorgeous stage I hoped what came after would do it justice. And it did. It developed a delicious grrr underneath that gave it the depth I was really longing for with such great florals, becoming quite sensual, fulfilling its promise. Very satisfying.

The underlying simmer was a big cuminy spice note, fragrant, warm and opopanax-like in its lightly burnished warmth, a great foil to the wonderfully feminine florals.

The other basenotes gradually coming in really connected with the cumin, developing a worthy counterpoint to the strong emotive florals, not exactly blending but creating a sort of high-low layering, like two parts of a choir that you can distinguish easily yet hear their combined song. The sillage was deliciously darkened floral, but if I smelled my skin, it was predominantly cuminy, spicy basenotes.

It had a drydown that delivered and developed beautifully for hours. There have been so many fragrances with disappointing or disappearing drydowns anymore, I always take note if the fragrance has a good bottom. It means enough to me that I will buy a perfume that has an excellent drydown over a fragrance I may enjoy the top half more. I think I enjoy a good extended drydown most in a fragrance, and they’re fairly rare in newer compositions.

Salome, though a big oriental-styled fragrance, didn’t have a lot of cloying vanilla, the thing I never cared for in orientals (think 80’s) and was clearer, leaner, and earthier, so it comes across somewhat floriental to me. The fragrance I think of most in relation to this is Bal A Versailles, but I believe I like Salome more. It’s a little clearer and more upfront, and the florals in this sing a little brighter. It’s a very long lasting fragrance, continuing a full day and into the next morning. Really smashing, but use discernment on where you wear.
23rd March, 2019 (last edited: 22nd July, 2019)
I think cumin is wonderful. In FOOD.

In perfume, where it has become a go-to note for achieving a certain level of “skank,” it is almost always overpowering, obfuscating, and downright cheap-smelling.

And it pretty much ruins Salome for me.

This starts off beautifully, the initial spark of spicy florals giving way after about an hour to some sweet smoke and soft leather. After that, though, it’s all cumin all the time, a shrill, one-note tune played at high volume for the next couple hours before finally exhausting itself. The musky floral of the deep dry down is nice enough, but by this time I just don't care anymore.
17th March, 2019
My full flacon just came in!

Salome is a complex, witchy brew expressly designed for erotic contemplation. Cumin and animal musks create an animalic raunch that is undeniable... Yet those of us who adore skanky perfumes will love it. While it is being compared to animalic chypres of yesteryear, no fragrance from perfumery's "Golden Age" (say, 1912--1970) ever dared to be this barnyard dirty... unambiguously so.

Texas cedar figures very prominently in this blend, and I'm surprised it's not offered as one of the notes in the above diagram for rating. There also appear to be some Indian "ayurvedic"-type notes present in this scent, not mentioned either. There is, for instance, a medicinal aromatic afoot... I think it's camphor... an unusual note I love.

Something in the opening notes smells, to me, like the potties one smelled on 1970's Greyhound buses. As in: clean trying to mask un-clean.

Fragrantica, above, lists "leather" as one of its keywords. I guess it's the styrax + castoreum they're observing.

The scent dries down to what seems to be a very...um... woman-like smell, if you catch my meaning. This scent is animalic far beyond that of Muscs Koublai-Khan, Rochas Femme, Kouros, Shalimar, Tabu, Absolue Pour Le Soir, Bal a Versailles. In fact, its only competition for skank-factor might be Brent Leonesios's NO. 8

As I hit a hot, steamy shower tonight, I got a whiff of the tobacco note: it's not fresh tobacco... no, it's stale, grey cigarette smoke, mingling with the civet. My, my-- our SALOME has been a naughty girl in so many ways. But it's intriguing, and adds a further note of audacious loucheness to the mix.

Yet Luca Turin is correct in that, this melange of notes is blended so expertly, so smoothly, that one cannot fault it... It does that classic thing of creating a unique Gestalt all its own.

But I love SALOME. I'm a guy, and will wear it happily anywhere I want. Who knew Bad could be so Good?
10th November, 2018
I dont dare say what this reminds me of😅.most skanky scent that I own. I only wear it when in a daring mood and in the right company of people that can appreciate it
06th May, 2018

Add your review of Salome

Member images of Salome

There are no member images of Salome yet. Why not be the first?