Royal Mayfair (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HouseCreed
Parent CompanyCreed

About Royal Mayfair

Previously launched as a limited edition in 2009, and previously known as Windsor. The fragrance was supposedly originally commissioned by the Duke of Windsor in 1936.

Reviews of Royal Mayfair

This was a challenging scent to articulate my feelings about. I can appreciate what the aim was, but it’s absolutely not for me.

The opening is brash and unapologetic, just a tonne of eucalyptus and the “gin” aromatics punching you in the nose. I kind of get a lime pith feel, but it’s more harsh than uplifting.

Ultimately it’s the floral notes that kill this for me. It’s far to reminiscent of dried rose petals and pot pourri, definitely comes across as a grandmotherly smell to me. I get that not everyone will associate the same sense memories with these notes, but I just can’t get past it. Neutral.
07th November, 2019
This is slightly smokey spearmint on my skin to start with. I know it is a play on the eucalyptus in this fragrance but I do get that off the top. I do also get gin, pine tree and cedar. To my nose eucalyptus is the most noticeable note. Overall a winner for the right price. Would I blind buy this? No, not at all. I do think it is a winner across the board. Enjoy!
10th September, 2019 (last edited: 17th September, 2019)
Promising start. Serious yet floral masculine, rose, pepper, eucalyptus touch of juniper. Just need it to hold steady maybe become powdery with some woods.... oh no pepper and stale pot pourri neither interesting nor pleasant nor particularly masculine.... ok thats's going and we have ...faint woody smell. What use is that?

Fragrance: 6.75/10
Projection: 7/10
Longevity: 6.5/10
12th August, 2019
Creed introduced a limited fragrance called Windsor (2009) that was semi-bespoke as it was only available in large flacons from the boutiques and meant to commemorate the life of Edward VIII, better known as the Duke of Windsor. Naturally, Creed quickly backpedaled on that story and replaced it with the grander one of the Duke himself having commissioned this scent in 1936 (the year he abdicated as King for marrying Wallace Simpson) with 2009 being an un-vaulting to commemorate that event. In any case, this was revived to be a permanent member of the lineup as Royal Mayfair (2015) with little perceived change from the original formula on display under the old name of Windsor. Let me start by saying that I rather like Royal Mayfair, as it is the first properly British scent in modern times from a house that claims British heritage, whilst everything else Creed produces is an upscale adaptation of a popular trope a la Himalaya (2002) or Bois du Portugal (1987), with the occasional innovative blip like Green Irish Tweed (1985) or Aventus (2010) that tends to be copied ad infinitum ad nauseum downmarket by everyone under the sun. Whether you love or hate their extreme price gouging at the counters or boutiques and their penchant for rewriting history to ever increase their own pedigree in the industry, the father and son team of Olivier and Erwin do know their way around citrus and florals, which is mostly what comprises Royal Mayfair. Like other phenomenal fresh scents such as Millésime Impérial (1995) and Royal Water (1997), Royal Mayfair shows the house right in their element, doing what they do best.

Royal Mayfair has some things in common with Pure White Cologne/Original Cologne (2011) in that it relies predominantly on orange blossom at its core, but around this neroli center is built a rather dandy fragrance of dry rose, cedar, lime, and musk. In a way, this is a better Burberry Brit for Men (2004), which also had a properly British rose and cedar combination over musk, but Royal Mayfair removes the spices and tonka to clarify and sweeten the accord with the neroli for something closer to what the Burberry was trying to achieve. The opening is bergamot, lime, eucalyptus, and some aromatics which I imagine are what Creed calls the "gin" note. I don't get any significant pine in this, but I also read that batch fluctuations are wilder with this than with Aventus, but being as I haven't sniffed 20 different bottles of either scent, I just take it on faith that people far more invested in the house than me are telling the truth. The heart of neroli comes in shortly thereafter, flanked by the rose and cedar to make a grey skies and tweed jackets kind of vibe, with lorries driving past on cobblestone roads and a damp breeze in the air. Lovely stuff even if just a tad plaintive, Royal Mayfair then moves through some phases where the eucalyptus returns a bit and is sandwiched nice with the floral heart and the musk. Creed's patented ambergris shows up, which seemingly feels more and more like a higher cut of ambroxan based on what I've read and not the real thing (if it ever was), but the same semi-mineralic and earthy warmth is there next to that pillowy white musk to finish out the wear. Longevity is pretty substantial but I don't find Royal Mayfair to be much of a screamer in projection. This feels formal to me, so I'd avoid day trips or romantic use with this unless your idea of romance is a picnic in the most windswept parts of Dartmoor just after a rainfall. A little also goes a long way with this, even though it isn't a sillage beast, it can get cloying to the wearer because of the musk profile if oversprayed.

Once again, the big kick in the pants with this will be price, but you can mostly overcome that at discounters online who will sell this to you for roughly the price of a Tom Ford signature line item at retail, versus the absolutely insane $550+ price Creed expects you to shell out at their counters or boutiques. People in France pay about half that because they've had Creed too long for the house to really pull that nouveau-riche pride of ownership aspirational crap with the pricing, but even something like $275 is still a lot for something like this, when the less-refined but still-serviceable Burberry Brit for Men can be had for a song and get you to that same beautifully gray melancholic headspace. Considering I liked that but found it a bit unexciting and better suited for an office, I'd deal if this stuff ever returned to the vault or proved to otherwise be unobtanium, but would still gladly pay the discounter rates for a bottle (which still isn't cheap but is manageable). Royal Mayfair is definitely one of the most unique of the modern Creed scents I've encountered, and has a good bit of genderbend potential with that rose and neroli laid across a fairly neutral base, so don't let the marketing fool you. Sample first if possible, as with anything in this luxury prestige category takes some weighted consideration unless you're pulling in six figures, but if the price is right, you won't find much more evocative of the stereotypical pale beauty of the UK without taking a vacation. Creed has a lot of gall sometimes, but when they get something right, they really get it right, you just have to be able to stomach the rest of their shenanigans and move outside official distribution channels to enjoy it when they do, which is troublesome. Thumbs up!
14th July, 2019
I'm going to agree with Olfactologist completely on this as far as the composition, and what notes I'm picking up in this pyramid. I get honeysuckle and orange blossom, but honeysuckle is the main note. I'm not picking up gin, lime or pine, either. Some jasmine, yes. I don't smell rose in this, though maybe I'm just not picking up on Creed's version of rose. There is a shared component with Original Vetiver (2004) in here; there's some slight similarity.

It is a well-made floral, and although I like Creed, over the years I have grown quite cynical of them. Therefore, I kind of prepared myself to be let down and sneer at another of Creed's highly-priced fragrances, but truth be told, I rather like it. It's not a "manly" scent in the least, but it is a scent that I could absolutely see being worn by royalty, and the fact that it was (supposedly) made for and (supposedly) worn by Edward VIII, better-known for his massive contributions to men's style as the Duke of Windsor, really encapsulates what Creed was trying to put together quite well. The longer it's on me, the more I enjoy it. It's very linear, but a very well-done linear. It projects fairly well and longevity is decent.

I give Creed a lot of grief -- often deservedly so -- but when they get it right, they really get it right. Definite thumbs-up on this one.
14th June, 2019 (last edited: 19th June, 2019)
Classy perfumey. Before looking at the notes I thought I was going to find some sort of white floral added in here, but I don't see them listed anywhere. It is reminiscent to me of Fleur de Male, which it appears to share no notes with. Sheesh. If you were to tell me this was a MFK I'd believe you, which is praise for me since I find most of his scents, while not neccesarily to my taste, are elegant and of superb quality. It does hit with that eucalyptus beginning, but that doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy that. This is the first pine rose I've tried and I feel like the combo goes well together. About an hour in the eucalyptus has faded from the top, and now plays more of a supporting role, lifting the pitch of the rose/pine combo. It is clean and fresh. I got no orange, but a spritz of lime. There is a background buzz of cedar, which feels similar to APOM in juxtaposition, though more restrained. Overall, I like the medicinal opening, but it disappears too quickly. I wish there was something in the heart that gave it a bit more of an edge. I would assume this is what the gin note people mention would be, but I'm just not getting it. Longevity and projection of a floral EDT.

This is a neutral for me. Projection was fine, but longevity knocks it down, as does the exorbitant price. Can't go as low as thumbs down. It is well made, and smells elegant and of good quality, but not for me.
29th March, 2019

Add your review of Royal Mayfair

Shop for Royal Mayfair products online

Shop for Royal Mayfair at online perfumeries

Creed Royal Mayfair Unisex Eau De Parfum 2.5 Oz 75 Ml Spray Unisex Made In F...

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 4:58:36 PST

Royal Mayfair By Creed Eau de Parfum Spray 2.5 oz

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 8:43:20 PST
Buy It Now for only: $93.09
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Royal Mayfair By Creed Eau de Parfum Spray 2.5 oz (Pack of 2)

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 8:43:24 PST

Creed Royal Mayfair 5 ML Spray Sample – *Read Description*

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 13:15:14 PST
Buy It Now for only: $14.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Pick A Cologne Oil/Perfume 1.3oz Silver Rollon Scents .Listings Variations # A-F

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 16:17:13 PST

CREED ROYAL MAYFAIR EDP 3.33oz. ~ MILLESIME SPRAY ~ UNISEX ~ FRANCE ~ AUTHENTIC

$99.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 17:49:25 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Creed Royal Mayfair 2.5 oz (75ml) Eau De Parfum With Box.

$69.00 (1 Bid)