Sauvage (2015)

HouseChristian Dior
PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Sauvage

Sauvage is a masculine fragrance by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer François Demachy

Sauvage fragrance notes

Reviews of Sauvage

Vile. They should just call it "Eau Ambroxan."
13th July, 2017
How could the man who penned Leather Oud and the house behind a modern classic like Dior Homme and a portfolio of legends commit such a crime against humanity?

Sauvage is the scourge of this age, tailored to fit the shallow and self-absorbed trend of the time. Grace, manners, style, respect, balance, wisdom, and art? Out with all that, now all that matters is who is the loudest for the longest time. And Sauvage is loud. I long thought, that Paco Rabanne's Evil Million was the ultimate olfactory WMD, but somehow Demachy and Dior trumped it by several lengths!

The ambrox overload puts everyone on the vicinity of the "wearer" in a death grip, that would make even Darth Julius Vader himself give a respectful tip of the helmet. Usually ambrox is a great material to work with, as it enhances everything with an organic, soft and exalting glow, but its beauty and purpose has been corrupted, transforming it into a piercing weapon from which there is no escape.

No escape.....
12th July, 2017
Sauvage is...strange. As others have said, it smells alien and unnatural. The Comme des Garcons Odeur scents remind of Sauvage - they're all plastic and electronics and lightbulbs and printer toner and stuff.

Neither take on this ultramodern synthetic theme is particularly pleasant to me, but at least Comme des Gacons did it with subtlety and intention. Sauvage is loud, sweet, and grating. The notes are incredibly difficult for me to pick apart. The opening I shall call "HyperFruit" with "UltraSpice".

There's this high-pitched buzz to the entire proceeding, like a fluorescent bulb, that gradually intensifies through the ambroxan base. This gives me a headache.

I will say that there are some interesting things going with the sillage. Sauvage brings to mind a well-calibrated machine that generates a fragrant force field set to a specific radius and intensity. It's like wearing a machine.
23rd June, 2017
Icy wisps of steel
A cool floral breeze cut by
A bike in the night.
07th June, 2017
Has the warmth of Stetson and the spice of Bang.

If the above sentence made you wince, you're not its intended market. But if it made you smile, join the club.

I don't give a bag of beans about Johnny Depp or the house of Dior. All I know is there is something inexplicably masculine and appealing about this scent. From what I've read, I'm not the only female to think so.

And the comparisons to Bleu de Chanel? No. Just no.
24th May, 2017
Not a fan, nor am I a fan of the ambroxian era. First it was tonka, then oud, now ambroxian. Sauvage I feel is pleasant from a distance (although no positive feedback), but abrasive close up.

I agree with so many other reviewers here. I think Alfarom's review is pretty much spot on.

I pick up a generic citrus opening, with a metallic edge. This doesn't smell like Bleu de Chanel to me. And although I don't praise BdC, it certainly rounds out everything nicely, whereas Sauvage is a bit confused. I get bits and pieces from other recent releases, one specifically that I haven't seen anyone speak of, is Invictus.

All in all, this is a step down from most Dior stuff. A mish mash of aromachemicals. It smells cheap, and boring. It doesn't smell "chemical" though like nail polish remover or anything like that.

People complain about projection and longevity on this too? Huh?? I get monstrous projection and longevity. I find the projection to be obnoxious. If you want something to get you noticed though, and don't care about artistry in perfumery, then you will dig this.
04th May, 2017