Dark Rebel (2015)

HouseJohn Varvatos
PerfumerRodrigo Flores-Roux
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc

About Dark Rebel

Dark Rebel is a masculine fragrance by John Varvatos. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux

Reviews of Dark Rebel

Really interesting stuff - for about 15 minutes. Then dissolves into a generic mall scent of limited interest. No staying power either. Probably demands a large number of sprays to last a sufficient amount of time. Highly synthetic too. Neutral, but could easily be negative for the anemic performance issues.
18th December, 2018
John Varvatos' Dark Rebel was an accidental find on my part.

I noticed that the vast majority of Varvatos' colognes were in the same shape of bottle, many having the interesting weave designs and differing only in exterior part color schemes. Of course, his flankers are quite different from one another, but I was overwhelmed by how similar the bottles looked and just shied away from comparing them for a while.

At a local Lord & Taylor's fragrance counter, as I was investigating the other scents there, I noticed the simple, twiny black outer weave of Dark Rebel that made it stick out more than the other JV scents. I was curious, noticed the cool name, and felt compelled to give it a sample.

What I discovered was a scent that matched its name: A "rebellious" concoction that was both boozy and smelled of tobacco, with a healthy dose of rich dark leather spiced up with black pepper. I had images of a small town derelict, unshaven, long-haired, wearing a black leather jacket and cowboy boots, riding his worn-out Harley Davidson around town like a lone wolf who liked to keep the townfolk guessing.

A few years later, I managed to find a great deal on a John Varvatos Dark Rebel gift set at the local TJ Maxx. Since then, whenever I wanted to wear any scent at the very last minute that wouldn't disappoint, I'd grab the mini-dispenser of Dark Rebel and confidently apply the potion, enjoying it without end.

There is a definite "smoky" element in Dark Rebel that reminded me of another scent I own, Bulgari's Black. That one relies on the unusual smoked lapsang tea, whereas this one seems to lean on the resinous woods and tobacco. Overall, I feel confident and fascinated by this formulation, a definite standout from Varvatos.
25th August, 2018
Bigsly Show all reviews
Wow! Just like Dark Rebel Rider, some of the reviews for this are far removed from my perceptions. First, I don't get much "darkness" here, nor anything medicinal or industrial. And while I get the tobacco note, it's not of the cherry pipe tobacco variety. It's dry and "brown." Mostly I get the sugar note and tobacco, along with some aroma chemicals, possibly a bit of iso e super and one or more "woody/ambers." And it's not weak at all, leading me to think that those who think it is are anosmic to the long-lasting aroma chemicals used. The closest scent I can think of to DR is Joop! Homme Wild, in terms of the far drydown. It is niche-like, and I got a great deal in a swap for the large size bottle, so I'm quite content, though I thought it would be more complex (I don't get the castoreum, for example). I think DRR is superior, though, because it's more unique, more natural smelling, and more complex. The two are quite different from each other, so I think DRR should have been called something unique, Dirty Rider or whatever.
22nd July, 2018
The opening of DR is not super appealing. Smells like gas/oil/medicinal something. The dry down is a bit of that, but turns into a cherry tobacco cigar shop type of scent. I like the dry down. I don't really get rum unless the rum note is the gas/oil/cherry I'm smelling with the tobacco. A mild thumbs up, but I think this one may grow on me.
14th May, 2018
Worth trying. This does indeed smell a little synthetic. If you apply it very liberally, it lasts longer and can even approach 6-8 hours. The scent overall is nice, although I'm not a big fan of the initial booziness. Relatively affordable and worlds better than something like ck shock. Still quite young.
30th January, 2018
The leather in the opening is dark and rich with some pleasant sweetness. There's also some woodiness or incense, something burned.

Seems best for casual wear and cooler weather.

It's all very nice and seems more worthy than it's designer price but then we come to the performance.

Projection is average for the first hour and then it turns to a skin scent on my skin.
24th January, 2018

John Varvatos Dark Rebel 8ml decant sample spray leather tobacco

End Date: Thursday Jan-17-2019 13:19:50 PST
Buy It Now for only: $15.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

John Varvatos Dark Rebel Eau De Toilette Spray 2.5 oz /75 ml New In Box.

End Date: Thursday Jan-17-2019 14:47:29 PST

JOHN VARVATOS DARK REBEL RIDER 75ML EDT MEN

End Date: Friday Jan-18-2019 1:37:25 PST
Buy It Now for only: $40.71
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

JOHN VARVATOS FRAGRANCE COLOGNE TRAVEL SAMPLE VIAL SPRAY MEN MAN HOMME FAST SHIP

End Date: Friday Jan-18-2019 4:41:23 PST