Sunshine Man (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HouseAmouage
Creative DirectorChristopher Chong

About Sunshine Man

Sunshine Man is a masculine fragrance by Amouage. The scent was launched in 2015

Sunshine Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Sunshine Man

I think the juniper and cedarwood were what turned me off to this offering. Was going to go neutral on this, but it just was that offensive to me. Now, please take this review as just my take on it. Just confused about this particular scent coming from the house of Amouage.
02nd November, 2018
Reminds me of sweet, sugary, dried fruit. Does have similarities with Baccarat Rouge 540, at least to me. There's also this very dry, almost burned cedar that gives it a slight mid-eastern feel. THere's also some powderiness in the drydown.

The scent is sweet and heavy, so if you plan to wear in warmer months, go easy on the trigger. It really projects and lasts all day.
23rd July, 2018
Revisiting Sunshine Man in 2018, I can easily understand how shocking this fragrance must have seemed upon its initial release in 2015, especially to traditional/hard-core Amouage fans.

This confection of lavender ice-cream, drenched in orange brandy syrup and creme anglaise, represents a significant departure from the more traditional Amouage line. In fact, the departure is so extreme, Sunshine almost feels like a rebellion against the Omani houses's roots. Such a rebellion could easily seem disrespectful, and as one reviewer opined below in regard to this scent: "...when placed into the context of Amouage's once-rich history, it's crass." I can certainly understand that viewpoint.

If Myths (2016) had been released directly after Journey (2014), it would have felt more like a natural progression (to my nose, Myths is a very traditional Amouage, with its heavy, ashy solemnity). Sunshine (the first in the Midnight Flower Collection) disrupted the Amouage time-line, like a bolt from the blue.

There is definitely something askew and off-kilter about Sunshine Man: but those qualities I once perceived as bizarre and slightly off-putting, I now read as quirky and delightfully eccentric. It's an enjoyable fragrance to wear. And I still think the fragrance feels like an Amouage, especially in terms of its complexity, depth and quality of materials. Oh, and let's not forget PERFORMANCE! It's off the chain!
05th April, 2018
Love love love
Well all I can say is my fave Amouage was Journey man.... Until I smelt Beech Hut Man, that blew my mind with how unique it is and also how long lasting and strong it is, then I smelt Sunshine Man. Possibly the best Amouage to my nose to date.
Stunning.... Perfection.
Worth every penny too.
Two thumbs up
24th March, 2018
So, this is a very different arrangement of sweet vanilla and limey green(s)/spices (not forest green)...not sure if I have ever come across something like Sunshine Man. It is as if someone mixed Reflection Man's sweetly florals with Beloved Man's spiciness and Interlude's spicy Oregano and voila, out comes Sunshine Man!!

Initial spray; Orange and Bergamot, yes faint Lavender, a liqueur vibe and the booziness it provides along with Juniper berries. The Cedar(wood) begins to emerges slowly as the sharp green(s) [almost piney] settles, with some camouflaged sweetness that accompanies that I think comes from the Brandy (liqueur). In addition to the aforementioned, I also get an ENORMOUS dose of vanilla but with an herbal bent that is front and center as the fragrance settles.

So the bottle's design suggests hot, sunny, bright, beach, fun...although I get a sunny vibe, there is this coolness that I conjure; a coolness that suggests frost, being able to see the air coming out of my mouth while standing outside in the snow! (I am not sure why this image comes to mind but it works-maybe because I live in the Midwest and it is cold).

After about 15 minutes or so, I am beginning to get less sharpness however, more of a bubblegum candish-like aroma..
(...so the green vibe begins to take a back seat and the sweet, spicy, woodiness starts to emerge.)
This fragrance is starting to make a statement: Sunshine Man is starting to shine! This fragrance is edgy, brash, but also evocative and pronounced!

After about 30 minutes....after the top notes have produced and Sunshine Man has reached the fragrances' mids, I believe you are left with a NICE spice laden, spicy floral composition with some woodsy tones that is less pungent than its start however, more sweetly vanillic in the end.

I think Sunshine will take me a few wears to decide what I concretely think of it. However, this offering is very different than what this brand {Amouage} normally presents...a few superlatives: Creative, evocative, unique, edgy, and conspicuous, just to suggest a few! Someone mentioned that this fragrance is one that is an acquired taste...I second that.

As for gender, some have mentioned this to be too sweet therefore feminine. In my honest opinion, this fragrance is definitely masculine all the way! Not sure if I could see a female pulling this off. Season, I can see this shining in the colder months, summer maybe...we'll just have to wait and see! This is (IMHO) a special occasion kind of a fragrance; not your typical signature scent!

Performance: 8/10

Longevity: 9/10

Silage: 10/10 ***If you over spray, you run the risk of overdose for oneself and others. ***This fragrance carries with it a HUGE scent cloud!

Projection: 10/10 (3 sprays carries ENORMOUS projection!

Overall: 9/10
29th January, 2018
A big bright neon-orange plastic confection. Very sweet but not fresh - more a hot-buttered-plastic fun fair experience. Too odd for me but if that's your bag you'll find it plenty vivid.
29th January, 2018