Sotto La Luna Tuberose (2015)
by Tauer

Sotto La Luna Tuberose information

Year of Launch2015

HouseTauer
PerfumerAndy Tauer

About Sotto La Luna Tuberose

Tauer say:

Andy Tauer's TUBEROSE under the moon is an invitation to revisit this white flower and rethink tuberose: brilliantly different - peppery green and beguiling.

The natural rendering of the queen of the night's airy freshness sets this tuberose apart and redefines floral elegance and measured suppleness.
It comes in an elegantly decorated flacon packed inside a sliding top tin box. Sotto la Luna, inspired by white flowers blooming under the moon

Sotto La Luna Tuberose fragrance notes

Reviews of Sotto La Luna Tuberose

Luca Turin once summed up the modern incarnation of a Caron classic with this terse statement: “Who put the Cinnabon in my Tabac Blond?”

I had a similar reaction to this scent: “Who put the Cinnabon in my tuberose?” I like cinnamon, and I like tuberose, but I’m just not convinced these two notes play all that well together, at least not when the tuberose is as medicinal as it is here, bolstered by a host of disparate notes that ultimately comprise one of the most off-kilter florals I’ve ever sniffed.

Seems to me that Tauer already flirted with this formula when he created Loretta as part of his Tableau de Parfums collaboration. While these two are not scent twins, they are cousins, boasting a similar screeching mixture of cinnamon/cloves, white flowers, and patchouli. So why go there again? (Loretta was a scrubber for me as well.)

It’s not that I can’t hang with bold floral and spice mixtures (a good portion of my perfume collection is made up of florientals) or even ones that are totally bizarre, like McQueen’s Kingdom. Maybe I just can’t hang with Tauer’s particular aesthetic, however much I admire the craftsmanship and intelligence behind it. But when it comes to creating art out of dissonance, there’s a difference between, say, Laurie Anderson or Philip Glass, and plain old ear-splitting noise.
29th May, 2017 (last edited: 31st May, 2017)
rbaker Show all reviews
The tuberose is there form the start; not a fat, waxy specimen but slimmed down, elegant and quite restrained - this is no Fracas. Tauer seems to dislike dominant notes of the floral kind and often makes them blend in with other comrades. Here a pleasant cinnamon - no creaminess in this - and an interestingly placed galbanum merge with the tuberose, and the result is interesting and a bit unusual.

Later in the drydown a lovely ylang-ylang adds richness and highlights to floral side of this composition. Never sweet and cloying, the tuberose and the ylang-ylang form a successful olfactoric partnership. A whiff of a fairly uninspiring rose shines through at times.

The tuberose lasts into the base, which is the least exciting part of this creation; the somewhat dull and generic patchouli does not develop in any notable way on my skin.

The performance is good, with moderate sillage, good projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

A somewhat muted tuberose that never unfolds such as to let this white flower shine like is does in other scents but, nonetheless, this is a quite nice spring floral. To the tuberose aficionado it might me a bit disappointing. Still, it is well blended, displays good structure and overall warrants - just - a positive score. 3/5
08th May, 2016
The only online reviews of SlLT I could find were so negative, I wasn't in any rush to seek it out for myself. However, when I saw a partial bottle for sale on eBay, I took a leap of faith. I'm so happy I did, because I LOVE IT SO MUCH!

Some reviewers have compared this new Sotto la Luna to the first one, Gardenia, claiming they're too much alike to bother owning both. I concede they share a commonality (in addition to Andy's legendary 'Tauerade'), but they're certainly not interchangeable. SlLG has a noticeable candied gardenia in it. SlLT does not.

I can't say that I smell tuberose in SlLT. I have worn many different kinds of perfumery tuberoses (Fracas, Tubereuse Criminelle, Caron's Tuberose, Poison, etc.), but none of their familiar notes are discernible here. Perhaps I need to smell a real tuberose blossom before my brain 'clicks' to this aspect in SlLT? In any case, I don't care, because SlLT simply smells wonderful (and nostalgic) to me!

None of SlLT's listed notes stand out to me: they are so harmoniously blended. It simply smells like a particular memory: a hazy vision of being a child standing in the vestry of the local church our family once attended, St Mark's Church of England in Leopold, Aust (built in the 1860s). Being a non-Catholic church, there would not have been incense (it wasn't until my adulthood interest in perfumery that I discovered 'incense' accords - which I adore - but cannot associate with churches, or even smoke!).

So, to me, SlLT is the smell of the interior of an old, but regularly used, Anglican bluestone church, and whatever was inside it a century after it was built.
04th February, 2016
I expected great things from the notes as well as some reviews. I found it nauseating. I feel awful even typing that, as Mr. Tauer is one of the kindest people, however this creation sounds so much better on paper. I do want it known that I attempted to test this several times, and always resolved never to open the vial again. The tester came from Twisted Lily, so I have no reason to think it was contaminated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May 31, 2016
Today I received the most fantastic set and presentation of samples I've ever seen - I purchased LDDM directly from Tauer, and he kindly send along the coolest tin of spray samples, one of which was the Sotto La Luna Tuberose. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous about trying this again, after my last attempt, but I really wanted to like it.

The opening is awful. LOL! I mean, it really makes me actually cough - it's very dry - reminds me how I feel when I smell Dior's Oud Ispahan. Like I need a HUGE glass of water!

HOWEVER...as I push thru this dreadful opening, I am slowly rewarded with a more pleasant experience. The strange opening recedes to the back (I still cannot figure out what it is, though), and something more green comes forth.

Although I never fall in love with this scent, this most recent wearing has proved much more pleasant!.
31st December, 2015 (last edited: 01st June, 2016)

Add your review of Sotto La Luna Tuberose

Shop for Sotto La Luna Tuberose products online

Search Amazon for Sotto La Luna Tuberose

Member images of Sotto La Luna Tuberose

There are no member images of Sotto La Luna Tuberose yet. Why not be the first?