Fume (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HouseHendley Perfumes
PerfumerHans Hendley

About Fume

Fume is a shared / unisex perfume by Hendley Perfumes. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Hans Hendley

Reviews of Fume

BLUF: Norne Light, and it is wonderful.

*(Review for the "new" 2018 version, in which Hans has tinctured his own Lapsang Souchong - Fume was previously shelved because he ran into issues sourcing the Lapsang he initially used in the composition)*

Fume is a right up my alley because fir balsam is right up my alley. If you are also a fan of the note and/or material, Fume is worth a sample.

If you are such a person, you've probably already tried Norne. If you almost loved Norne but found it was a little too much of a good thing (or just plain too much), or disliked the fact that wherever you sprayed looked like bruised skin, this might have all the knobs turned to the right settings - it does for me. Fume is plenty substantial but not nearly as dense in feel and possesses a smoother, airier texture, lighter on the spice notes, lighter on the smoke, yet just as "pine forest" as Norne is.

Fume is also, importantly, devoid of the clove-y component from Norne. It's minor in Norne to me, but to others the clove seems a deal-breaker. The smoke in Fume is mellow but present throughout, ostensibly coming from the Lapsang Souchong tincture. There is the lightest touch of something like vetiver (listed as ruh khus) modulating the woody and smokey qualities.

I'm only going on at length with the Slumberhouse comparison because Norne is fairly well known, and this bears a striking resemblance in scent. I don't believe Fume is intended as a copy nor smell-a-like, and I feel strongly that Fume stands proudly on its own two legs. I prefer this to Norne. There is also a resemblance to Euphorium Brooklyn's Wald, which is a much more "campfire" and complex take on the fir balsam theme.

Longevity is admirable (a work day and then some) and it wears moderately close to my skin so I can enjoy it without feeling loud. I treated myself to a 9ml spray for a very reasonable $28 and it comes in a rock-solid heavy glass cylindrical bottle with a reliable sprayer, which I enjoy.

99% of the time I wear perfume because I enjoy perfume. The other 1% is when I want to smell like a landscape and not a fragrance. An imaginary utopian countryside (Cuir Pleine Fleur), the damp decay of a mixed deciduous/coniferous forest floor (After The Flood), or the coniferous elevations of my old stomping grounds in the central Oregon Cascades (Fume or Norne). There is no substitute for the real thing, but seeing as I can't fly anywhere in the world on a whim, I welcome scents like Fume into my wardrobe.

I haven't tried the previous version, but luckily there are no burnt chemical or stale thrift shop smells anywhere in sight. Thumbs up and recommended to any and all fans of balsamic conifer scents.
07th June, 2018 (last edited: 26th September, 2018)
Awful. Smells like an old coat in a thrift store covered with a stale mediocre fragrance. I wrapped it carefully, so it wouldn't stink up my garbage can, & discarded it.
23rd August, 2017
Hendley Perfumes Fume is one of the better-reputed fragrances in Hans Hendley's line, and so it's unsurprising, yet unfortunate, that it's sold out and may not be coming back due to sourcing.

Still, I'm glad to have tried it, as it falls into the category of dark fragrances that mix smokiness and woodiness superbly. The central note is balsam fir resin, giving off the vibe of a recently put-out campfire mixed with the dense resin of trees. In that respect, it's every so slightly a green fragrance, but only in the way the resin and smoke is classified. It's not purely smoke and dirty like Lalique Encre Noire, as there is real life in the balsamic, woody accords.

A performance beast, as well, as one might expect from its dark character and in EDP concentration from an independent house. Pricing now seems to be up in the air since it's discontinued but this surely could demand high prices as a winter beast, something to don on winter nights. I imagine this would mainly work well for men instead of women, but it's not so purely masculine as to be exclusively so.

The most similar fragrance that comes to mind is Slumberhouse Norne, as both Fume and Norne depend on the pivotal balsam fir resin note. And Profumum Arso has a similar heavy use of pine resin, so it's a little further removed, but still in the same vein.

Fume is superb and I'd love to try and track down a bottle, or at least hope that Hans Hendley can bring it back somehow. Great stuff!

8 out of 10
16th February, 2017
WTF... I mean WTF... OMG... WTF... smells like some sort of igniting fuel or chemical and burnt wood... OMG WTF... Avoid. Buyer beware. Give this a wide berth and steer clear.
13th July, 2016

Add your review of Fume

Shop for Fume products online

Member images of Fume

There are no member images of Fume yet. Why not be the first?