Dryad (2017)

Year of Launch2017

HousePapillon Artisan Perfumes
PerfumerElizabeth Moores

About Dryad

Dryad is a shared / unisex perfume by Papillon Artisan Perfumes. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Elizabeth Moores

Reviews of Dryad

Waves of notes that are a delight for my nose. Deep, dark floral notes. Old forest, damp woods accord underneath. Rooty iris. Galbanum is noticeable. There becomes two almost simultaneous layers: One is floral-sweet, the other more earthy, mossy dark green. The lavender is "pretty" here - not too intense. The galbanum is not a deal-breaker for me. The letter can be too grating, for my taste.

After time Dryad smooths out becoming an all encompassing elixir of which forest nymphs would delightfully approve. Very well done! 4.5 stars.
04th January, 2019
We all have a note (or notes) that, for whatever reason, is amplified on our skin, for better or worse.

For my skin chemistry, orris is amplified for the worse.

Instead of a rich, powdery feel that others report from orris root, I receive a harsh, mega-perfumey note that overpowers everything else. The only orris/iris fragrance I've tried where that does not happen is Iris Rebelle by Atelier Colognes.

Unfortunately, my sensitivity to orris remains with "Dryad" -- however, when I really stick my nose down into it to smell the other elements, I find it to be an incredibly well-balanced and pleasing chypre. Those who do not share my orris affliction will likely have an even more well-balanced experience.

There is a (likely unintentional) note here that reminds me of cap-gun smoke. Yes, cap-gun smoke. In a good way.
18th December, 2018
Little to add to what has already been said in previous reviews save, I really don't really miss the Animalic of Vintage Greens unless I wear this brew side by side to Vol de Nuit......
How good this is?
My heart longs to this purchase, while my brain says I am satiate.
Which wins?
Most likely my heart.

Liz Moores,you are,plain Witch-ed.
10th November, 2018
Genre: Green Chypre

I have no idea how Liz Moores got around the strictures on oakmoss to compose Dryad, but however she did it, it’s a work of genius. This perfectly-named fragrance is a big, no-holds-barred green chypre that stands in a direct line of descent from Y, Givenchy III, and Chanel No. 19. Which is not to say that Dryad smells fusty or old-fashioned. Shimmering, ever-so-slightly dissonant green notes, the olfactory equivalent of those glittering piano figures in some of Debussy’s songs, lend Dryad a flavor that’s at once archaic and profoundly contemporary. (An effect that Antonio Gardoni and Vero Kern have also achieved, albeit though entirely different means.) I’d set this next to Vero Kern’s delightful Mito as a fine example of what can still be done within the once-abandoned green chypre style. Mo(o)re, please!
03rd July, 2018
Dryad: in Greek mythology, female tree nymphs or tree spirits who watch over forests and groves. They are more often shown as beautiful young maidens, who inhabit and, sometimes, personify features of mother nature herself, such as trees (Dryad), water (Naiad) and mountains (Oread). This makes me think of green and growing things; gracefully twisting vines and soft, velvety, bright green moss surrounding a crystal clear pond in the middle of a deep and ancient forest. The Dryad, clad in her beautiful woodland garments, is perched in one of the trees, keeping watch over her domain. This is what I imagine a Dryad would smell like should you encounter one; she carries with her all of the lovely, fresh scents of nature, with something a little wild thrown into the mix. It’s quite lovely and I think it would work super well on the blokes. This is the second Papillon scent I’ve tried (I now own the absolutely divine Salome). Very happy with this one – definitely full-bottle worthy.
27th October, 2017
If you enjoy Bandit and Vol de Nuit, and would love to have a mash-up of the two, Dryad provides you the opportunity. I am an enormous admirer of the vintage Guerlain, but far less so of the Piguet, and it is the slightly Bandit-like sour/bitter/sharp aspect of Dryad which makes me less than a fan.

I also adore costus, and the scalpy, bedhead aspect it provides, but couldn't tease it out here at all--sadly, since I think a slightly warmer or deeper and more animalic base would make this fragrance all the more appealing and interesting.

I'm sure that I will be in the minority here in giving this scent only a neutral rating, since lovers of sharp green scents and mossy chypres will undoubtedly find this fragrance delightful. I would too, if it contained just a bit more softness or skin likeness, but that isn't really the goal of green perfumes, is it now? :-)
10th September, 2017 (last edited: 02nd November, 2017)

Add your review of Dryad

Member images of Dryad

There are no member images of Dryad yet. Why not be the first?