Dryad (2017)

Year of Launch2017

HousePapillon Artisan Perfumes
PerfumerElizabeth Moores

About Dryad

Dryad is a shared / unisex perfume by Papillon Artisan Perfumes. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Elizabeth Moores

Reviews of Dryad

Dryad: in Greek mythology, female tree nymphs or tree spirits who watch over forests and groves. They are more often shown as beautiful young maidens, who inhabit and, sometimes, personify features of mother nature herself, such as trees (Dryad), water (Naiad) and mountains (Oread). This makes me think of green and growing things; gracefully twisting vines and soft, velvety, bright green moss surrounding a crystal clear pond in the middle of a deep and ancient forest. The Dryad, clad in her beautiful woodland garments, is perched in one of the trees, keeping watch over her domain. This is what I imagine a Dryad would smell like should you encounter one; she carries with her all of the lovely, fresh scents of nature, with something a little wild thrown into the mix. It’s quite lovely and I think it would work super well on the blokes. This is the second Papillon scent I’ve tried (I now own the absolutely divine Salome). Very happy with this one – definitely full-bottle worthy.
27th October, 2017
If you enjoy Bandit and Vol de Nuit, and would love to have a mash-up of the two, Dryad provides you the opportunity. I am an enormous admirer of the vintage Guerlain, but far less so of the Piguet, and it is the slightly Bandit-like sour/bitter/sharp aspect of Dryad which makes me less than a fan.

I also adore costus, and the scalpy, bedhead aspect it provides, but couldn't tease it out here at all--sadly, since I think a slightly warmer or deeper and more animalic base would make this fragrance all the more appealing and interesting.

I'm sure that I will be in the minority here in giving this scent only a neutral rating, since lovers of sharp green scents and mossy chypres will undoubtedly find this fragrance delightful. I would too, if it contained just a bit more softness or skin likeness, but that isn't really the goal of green perfumes, is it now? :-)
10th September, 2017 (last edited: 02nd November, 2017)
Basically a reworking of vintage Vol de Nuit parfum for modern times, and yes, I understand the impact of my comparison here.

To many, Vol de Nuit is the zenith of the art of Guerlain, but to me, it speaks of home. The heart of Dryad reproduces almost exactly the same damp, green narcissus and jonquil accord found in Vol de Nuit (and actually, come to think of it, also the original Miss Dior), and there is a similar support in the form of oakmoss, tarragon, galbanum, and vetiver.

But the sage note spins it in a slightly naughty, “witchy” direction. It smells like dark green velvet, with a bluebottle anisic sheen from the tarragon to keep things lively.

Liz Moores calls this a green chypre-oriental, which of course is the same category to which Vol de Nuit belongs. But it diverges in the base. Dryad features none of the sweet, ambery notes found in Vol de Nuit, switching instead to a dry, rubbery galbanum resin that gives off the feel of sage and hay thrown on a bonfire and left to smoke out. It is also not powdery, but it does exhibit the kind of “cut grass” and “lime peel” dustiness that galbanum has.

Supposedly, there’s quite a lot of costus root in this, but thankfully, I can’t smell it. (I’ve never smelled a treatment of costus that didn’t end up smelling like unwashed hair). In fact, I don’t pick up on anything animalic here at all, which is fine with me, because all the focus is kept on those burningly pure green notes. It’s all resin and grass and sage, no soft landing in the form of amber or vanilla. There is something crystalline and focused about it.

Green perfumes are not overly represented in my wardrobe, but I would buy this in a hot second. Dryad has joined the small but exclusive group of green perfumes I truly love, which include Vol de Nuit (Guerlain), Mito (Vero Kern), Romanza (Masque), Vie de Chateau Intense (De Nicolai), Ormonde Jayne Woman, and Sycomore (Chanel).

29th August, 2017
Kaern Show all reviews
The opening of Dryad is matched and surpassed only by the drydown which is beautiful and long lasting.

There are chypre elements to this fragrance but there are floral, spicy whispers to.

I am not a galbanum fan but the accord in the base of that note and moss is offset by the addition of benzoin which sweetens and softens these green elements and is a work of genius.

This will be one of my top five scents of 2017 without a doubt.
27th July, 2017
Dryad is gorgeous. It's as green as the forest floor, sharp with moss and vetiver, softened by resins and subtle florals; there's even the hint of a stream burbling in the background. It is a symphony of natural smells and associations. I suppose it could be called a chypre, but that term restricts it.

Dryad maintains its structure throughout its development, drying down seamlessly and lasting all day on my skin (I could even detect a whisper of it the next morning). After several hours, it reminds me of Bandit - but it never loses its own sparkle and mystery.
11th July, 2017 (last edited: 12th July, 2017)

Add your review of Dryad

Shop for Dryad products online

Search Amazon for Dryad

Member images of Dryad

There are no member images of Dryad yet. Why not be the first?