L'Homme Ultime (2016)

Year of Launch2016

HouseYves Saint Laurent
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute

About L'Homme Ultime

L'Homme Ultime is a masculine fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2016

L'Homme Ultime fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Homme Ultime

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime is poised as an "ultimate" version of the original YSL L'Homme (2006) composed a decade prior, and as an atypical flanker seeking to improve the original rather than supplement it, I'd say it's a mixed bag. In some ways, I do like it better than the first because it has a nice rose that wasn't in the first version, but in other ways, I find Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime to really be more of a supplement like it's brethren, because something is also lost. The original perfumers Domonique Ropion and Ann Flipo return, but Peter Wargyne sits out and is replaced with Juliette Karagueuzoglo, who has also worked on various other L'Homme flankers. Ultime is not spoken of quite as much as La Nuit de L'Homme (2009), a flanker that almost surpasses the original in popularity, and is far more ubiquitous, but Ultime is a silent-runner dark-horse champion that I feel is more perfumisto-friendly as a designer masculine that includes both ginger and rose, even if this includes only such enthusiasts interested in modern designers anyway. L'Homme Ultime won't set the world on fire, and neither did the original either, but for fans of that rarest of categories known as the masculine floral, this might be the closest one finds at a department store counter these days, if not diving into vintage or niche brands to find such a fix.

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime opens with a typical grapefruit replacing the bergamot of the first, and ginger reminiscent of it's forefather intact, but with an added twist of cardamom to make it even spicier. There's no calone in Ultime like there was in the first L'Homme, so that slightly round and sweet melon note won't give this the shimmer of the original. The middle of sage and geranium is coupled with rose instead of the typical lavender, with no sight of the pepper or violet the original contained. The rose/sage/geranium middle is the star of Ultime, and where perfume enthusiast will take greatest interest. Granted, it's no Amouage Lyric Man (2008), Ungaro I (1991) or even Azzaro Acteur (1989), but it definitely is a nice dry rose that compliments the brighter top components well. The base of vetiver and cedar plays another complimentary role and is filled in with the olfactory epoxy glue that is norlimbanol and ambroxan, so this is the point when vintage fans stuck on their oakmoss ask the waiter for the check please and bail out. Everyone else who has submitted to the Almighty Wizard of Shnozz and his My First Chemistry set will be use to the dry and slightly scratchy finish of this, which falls in line with Calvin Klein cK2 (2016), which is another grayed-out rose experiment, but not done as well and even more synthetic. performance is superior to the original in most regards, with longer life and greater projection, so that's a definite leg up.

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime is a modern mainstream masculine rose for the guy that wants a dumb-grab rose scent that isn't blatantly and obviously a rose perfume like something a lady friend would wear, but loves the idea of rose nonetheless. It's orchestrated in such a way that if it had just a few more natural ingredients and were just a bit stronger, it could almost be a niche release, but is of surprising quality anyway. Fans of the original will probably appreciate this one the best out of all the available choices in this line, since Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime seems to preserve the spirit of the first scent of the line best without just feeling like a cash-in on a name like most flankers. it rides a bit more romantic than the original scent, and is likewise good for spring, summer, and early fall use. Folks not a fan of the original will probably not find favor in Ultime either, unless a rose accord is enough to sway their opinion, but I'm a sucker for rose so this is a sure win for me. I admit it's faults and it's definitely a status-quo designer, but sometimes a plain ol' cheeseburger is fine. If we ate Filet Mignon every day, we'd lose our appreciation for the finer things, would we not? A drier, brighter, stronger, rose-powered but ultimately safe flanker to the stalwart L'Homme line. Two thumbs up.
18th June, 2018
Take everything good about L'Homme, add some rose and better performance and you get Ultime.

I'm already a big fan of scents with ginger and rose separately, and the two work together perfectly here.

The opening is fruity, fresh and sexy. The drydown is woody and still sexy, thanks to the rose.

I find this to be extremely versatile. Great for daytime or nighttime, casual or dressed up. Probably best in anything but colder weather.

Very good projection and longevity.
14th January, 2018
This is a very personal enjoyment conflicting smelling fragrance. In my opinion it isn't anything special ..the opening is too sour for a rose dominant fragrance ..it needs 5 minutes to relax the citrus... when the opening accords have faded you are left with a strange spicy sour rose smell that is reminiscent of paul Smith roses for women (which is scratchy) ..i write like I'm anti rose accord here but I'm not it's fantastic if used correctly...the rose is the dominant accord for me in this and it's a futuristic synthetic rose that's spoilt by sourness, not your adp essenza type that is natural and there to add and bolster a soapy citrus or even paco rabanne one million cologne that is straight up honest mass market rose. I think this is running too far ahead rose before anyone is bothered or cares, like a trendy Italian jacket that could set on fire and melt your skin within seconds. I'll catch up with this scent eventually (I bought 100ml blindly) but I think it might be ysl's attempt at a dior sauvage gone wrong or right in some ways, I much prefer the l'homme intense version if I'm honest in a hit and miss minefield of ysl creativity.
18th July, 2017 (last edited: 19th July, 2017)
Love wood as we may
A shine like silver or gold
Tempts with their beauty.
06th July, 2017
Sour citrus meets woods and rose. The best part of this, is the smooth rose element, very well done. The rest of this.. nothing great. This has a sour opening, and it stays that way for quite a while. instantly it reminds me of Ferragamo pour Homme limited Platinum edition - this is a very fragrance, but if you've smelled it, you will understand more what Ultime smells like. Another similar fragrance is Antonio, which has a spicy fir and heavy dose of woods.

The plus side of Ultime, the rose note is outstanding. It's smooth, creamy, doesn't smell too synthetic, doesn't smell too feminine, and lasts for quite a while. The fragrance itself has great longevity on me, as I easily get 8-12 hours.

The smell, not so much my thing. I can see how this would appeal to a lot of people though. I will use up my 10 ml decant though, as this makes for something good when i need something with extreme longevity.
04th May, 2017
I was delighted to behold this scent when it first came out recently; knowing it was a richer version of my already-liked YSL L’Homme, I took immediately to L’Homme Ultime and still appreciate it now.

A wonderful flanker of an already great fragrance (YSL L’Homme), Ultime is squarely in the realm of the “intense” flankers out nowadays that do justice to their forbears (e.g., the “Prive” version of Paco Rabanne’s 1 Million, the “Profumo” versions of Armani Code and Acqua di Gio, the “Intenso” version of Dolce & Gabbana’s pour Homme, the “Parfum” version of Nuit d’Issey, the “Intense” version of Azzaro pour Homme, etc. etc.).

Big thumbs up from me! ;^>
02nd May, 2017

Add your review of L'Homme Ultime

Shop for L'Homme Ultime products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of L'Homme Ultime

There are no member images of L'Homme Ultime yet. Why not be the first?