Boy Chanel (2016)

PerfumerOlivier Polge
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Boy Chanel

Boy Chanel is a shared / unisex perfume by Chanel. The scent was launched in 2016 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Christopher Sheldrake and Olivier Polge

Boy Chanel fragrance notes

Reviews of Boy Chanel

Genre: Fougère

To my nose, Chanel’s Boy lies very near to the center of the expansive territory occupied by the fougère genre, a place that once belonged to its great uncle, Chanel pour Monsieur, before the crippling multiple accidents of reformulation.

Like its predecessor, I find Boy to be very well-done, but not necessarily very interesting. On the one hand, it’s wonderful to smell a pure incarnation of the basic fougère idea. On the other hand, when wearing Boy, I find myself craving some extra degree of quirkiness to liven up its pristine olfactory countenance. After all, part of the beauty of the fougère, as with the chypre, is the ability of the basic structure to support an enormous range of variation, while the central character remains recognizable beneath. Boy can feel a little like a blank canvas or a dressmaker’s mannequin to me, waiting for the painter’s palette or the draped cloth to complete it.

Thumbs up by a very narrow margin, based on quality more than inherent interest.
30th June, 2018
Oh Boy, I don’t see anything particularly exciting about Boy Chanel, and that saddens me since my expectations were high considering the famed house, hype and pricing. I wanted to love this so much, but it just doesn’t love me back.

To be perfectly honest, I get a tad queasy on the dry-down from Boy Chanel, which is something I also get from only a few other fragrances (ie: Obsession for Men, Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme, Habit Rouge...)
All of these share something in one form or another, but Boy seems much more synthetic to me. Perhaps given the new era of shared status non-offensive skin-scents?

Having purchased a 200ml bottle from the 2016 launch at the Chicago Chanel Store, I’ve worn this but only a few times. It’s rather bland and a tad too sweet/powdery for my taste. This could have been so much better with less vanilla and a bigger citrus twist. I just expect more from the House of Chanel....
11th December, 2017
The lavender take a lead in the beginning, on a bed of ... muddy, oily heliotrope, and warm spices (anise?).

You sensed something sharp, something high pitched, waiting in the next corner. It settles in after a couple of minutes, smells like rusty geranium.

Then the sweetness come into play: the vanillas, the Tonka beans, you name it. For me, this is closing time.

Oh of course, don't forget that soapy aldehyde, lurking somewhere all the time. Sometimes I feel it's haunting in every chanel I've tried.
30th August, 2017
Boy Chanel smells like the fragrance a mannequin would wear...like the nectar squeezed out of a nice artificial flower arrangement if such a thing were possible. This smells much different than I anticipated. It's not the worst frag I've tried, but it's definitely not as good as the really nice stuff I've worn either. Sort of plasticy to my nose. The longevity and sillage aren't that impressive either, which also surprised me. The one thing that didn't surprise me was the price tag, which was high. My sample will be sufficient.
16th July, 2017
I didn't think I would love this so much. A beautiful, unisex fruity fragrance. It starts bitter, goes clean and ends sweet.
A lot of fruit, some greenness and vanilla.
I can't compare it, except may never to Shalimar. Well done!
29th April, 2017 (last edited: 28th January, 2018)
This is a pass for me.

To me this is a soft, lavender dominated fragrance with a comforting dry down that's slightly soapy, slightly powdery, slightly musky and slightly woody. The materials are all good, and so is the balance - but where is the spark?

For what it is, this ground is covered much better by Le 3me Homme de Caron and Infusion d'Homme by Prada - at a fraction of its price.

It's nowhere near the standouts in this Chanel collection, including Sycomore, Coromandel, and 31 Rue Cambon.

I do not smell any fougere accord here. But if one's looking for fougeres, there are several options in nearly every style that are more interesting.

Finally, among lavender fragrances - it can't hold a candle to any of distinctive offerings, including Serge Lutens, Czech & Speake, and even Caron's Pour Un Homme and Le 3me Homme.

It is clear that with this fragrance Chanel wanted to minimise risk - for a line that is called 'Exclusifs'. After the beautiful Misia, this is rather underwhelming.

Projection is muted but faintly discernible, and duration is average to good at around six hours.

It is definitely nothing bad, and is decent, respectable, and safe for giving as a gift. However, it is pretty but not beautiful, and is not compelling at all - for me at least.

11th April, 2017

• USD $330.00
  • Time Left: 28 days

BOY CHANEL Perfume NIB 2.5oz

• USD $34.00 HIGHEST BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 2 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 2 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Chanel Perfume Samples "YOU PICK" No 5 Coco Chance Gabrielle Bleu No 22 Boy MORE

• USD $6.50

LES EXCLUSIFS DE CHANEL BOY CHANEL 2ml - 0.06oz x 1 Spray Perfume Vial Sample

• USD $10.50
  • Time Left: 24 days
  • Shipping from: United States

2 x Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel BOY Eau de Parfum EDP Spray 2ml / 0.06oz ea.

• USD $14.99
  • Time Left: 29 days

LES EXCLUSIFS DE CHANEL BOY CHANEL Perfume 30ml Decant

• USD $109.00
  • Time Left: 26 days

Member images of Boy Chanel

There are no member images of Boy Chanel yet. Why not be the first?