Eau des Missions (2011)

HouseLe Couvent des Minimes
Parent CompanyL'Occitane

About Eau des Missions

The company say:

Inspired by the tradition of benevolent journeys made by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary to help the poor, the Botanical Cologne of the Missions comforts and invites you to escape. Thanks to its Original Recipe combining comforting Vanilla with 5 Plants selected for their beneficial properties, this rich, sensual scented water perfumes the skin with vanilla notes.

Reviews of Eau des Missions

From January, 2015:

I wouldn't say that this is my "Holy Grail Vanilla" but it's definitely become my standard, go-to vanilla when I want "just vanilla" and not a lot else. Eau des Missions Cologne opens sort of dry and dark with hints of spice along the lines of a boozy sassafras. As it develops it becomes a sweeter and warmer straight-up vanilla/benzoin combination with a base of cedar. The cedar provides balance and depth, but more or less stays in the shadows, unnoticed. There are two things I like about Eau des Missions: First, it doesn't try to do too much, but has just enough nuance to keep it from becoming boring. The dry, spicy booze in the opening, the sweeter emergence of benzoin and vanilla in the heart, and the occasional waft of a very soft floral note (rose?) help separate this from the pack of generic, dime-a-dozen vanilla fragrances you can find anywhere. This is certainly a cut above most. The other thing I really like about Eau des Missions is that it stops before it becomes too sweet. While I would say that this is on the sweeter side of the vanilla spectrum, it's not too far to the right, and I never get that juvenile, cotton-candy smell like you might find in Aquolina's Blue Sugar and Pink Sugar. There are many good vanilla frags out there, and while I had found a few that I really liked (Eau Duelle, Memoirs of a Trespasser, Fahrenheit 32), they also featured other notes in significant portions. I hadn't yet found the straight-up vanilla I was looking for. Well, the search is over. Eau des Missions works fine for me. It keeps things interesting for a little while and finally projects a soft, pillowy cloud of pure vanilla and benzoin, just as it should. Thumbs up.

Longevity is around 5-6 hours. This is unisex, as long as you see vanilla as a unisex note. There's nothing else which would make it particularly masculine or feminine.

While I would love to recommend Eau des Missions as a blind buy, I can't, because so many people have different and conflicting reports. For some, it seems the vanilla becomes cloyingly sweet, hitting that cotton-candy note I mentioned earlier. For others, it's very boozy, which could be good or bad depending on what you want. And still, some reviews mention getting a lot of myrrh, which I don't detect much of at all. So sample this first just to be safe, and see how it works on you.
13th August, 2019
This is the Vanilla to spray when you want to smell like a regal baked cake - not a childish one.

I cannot understand how this delight flew under my radar for so long. In fact, I wonder if I assumed that the price-point was a predictor of quality. If that is the case, I am a foolish woman indeed.

If it were not for a dear friend who adores me as much as I adore her, I'd never have the funds NOW to afford this discontinued gem, as it is now sold for a terribly high price once people realized its value.

The scent is reminiscent of Mona di Orio's Vanille, but on the sweeter side. It sits proudly, bearing itself as much more than one might expect coming from such a sad sprayer. And I mean that - the sprayer made me feel sad - it's appearance is that of an old plastic hair-spray pump. It's ugly and while I KNOW these are essentially GOOD sprayers, it doesn't make for a good presentation. It certainly is awkward against the vintage-looking label. None-the-less, it is useful, and you only need a few pumps to get good coverage.

The use of Myrrh is what makes this less child-like and more regal - the combination keeps the vanilla from becoming too damn happy, and really, what woman in her late 30's and over wants that? Our beauty is discovered only in the trials and heartaches we bear and in the class in which we bear them. Too much sweetness grates against the nerves. The dose of Myrrh is an excellent addition for the true beauty here.

One final note: enjoy this as a layer underneath whatever you would like to add a vanilla note - it is truly a lovely experience for yourself and others around you.
22nd October, 2017
The opening made me think of my cooking class, with an alcoholic vanilla extract. Then it softened down to a gorgeous fruity gourmand vanilla. A crisp vanilla, beautiful though linear.

It's very feminine for me.

It's worth a try, if (and only if) you're a vanilla lover.

It’s the only fragrance I own such a quantity of. Heavy giant of 500ml standing proudly. I can use as much as I please without worrying. It makes me happy.
23rd May, 2017 (last edited: 14th March, 2018)
The initial blast is heavy; a dense smoky boozy vanilla cloud that lasts for a while, really unisex. With time, it loses that opening darkness, becoming lighter, sweeter and simpler (but not cheap feeling), quite linear after the first hour.

Great for colder months, this is a warm comforting scent. I am pleased with the performance, as it lasts through a work shift on me and, before becoming a skin scent, it projects (at an arm's length) for a couple of hours.
Make no mistake, due to the heavy dose of vanilla this is a gourmand and someone once asked me, as I passed by, if I've baked cookies.
11th March, 2017

Le Couvent Eau Des Missions Botanical Cologne of Missions 8.4oz 250ml

End Date: Monday Mar-16-2020 10:01:25 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $120.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

500 ml Le Couvent Des Minimes Eau Des Missions Botanical Cologne Splash U.S.A.

End Date: Thursday Mar-19-2020 19:06:00 PDT