Issara (2015)

Year of Launch2015

HouseParfums Dusita
PerfumerPissara Umavijani

About Issara

Issara is a shared / unisex perfume by Parfums Dusita. The scent was launched in 2015 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pissara Umavijani

Issara fragrance notes

Reviews of Issara

A strange paradox. A completely dreamy, ultra-sweet, coumarin-forward fougere, with extremely disappointing projection.

I have to add my voice to the chorus of people who love the scent itself but can’t believe the performance, especially at such a steep price point. It’s a strange feeling to spray yourself in $20 of perfume and wonder if you need to apply more. And that’s just for your own personal enjoyment. If you are on a date and hoping someone gets a good impression of your style and sophistication, or Hell, even general grooming habits, look elsewhere.

HOWEVER: A high performance version of this might push all the notes together in a claustrophobic cloud and yield something like, say Black Afgano by Nasomatto. It’s a real conundrum. But Pissara has shown herself to be a talent to watch, so I remain hopeful that Issara is a puzzle she can solve.

Thumbs up because it really is lovely, though I won’t be buying at this price & performance.
12th August, 2019
Mmm...Issara is beautiful. I love it! This is such a smooth blend of green notes, coumarin's vanillia and hay presence along with just a tiny shot of bourbin vetiver, oakmoss and ever so slight muskiness. I wish I smelled the individual pine note in the opening as well as pine in the mids...but I don't. That's my only beef with this fragrance, well...that and it's lack of projection. I'd like it to be a bit more forward and not so much a skin scent, which it is. The scent itself however is marvelous! I completely agree with teardrop that there is a definite Chergui vibe to Issara, but I prefer Issara to Chergui. Issara is ridiculously overpriced. It's supposed to be an extrait, but it performs like an EDV which translated is Eau d Vapor. Meaning it's more a will-o-the wisp than it is a liquid fragrance. All these things aside however, I want a bottle of Issara. Smelling this fragrance makes me feel a great sense of well being and rightness in the world...LOL...
11th July, 2019
Surprised at the love for this one. Inoffensive and not merely forgettable but virtually unnoticeable. I wear frags for myself so don’t mind low sillage. But even at the skin scent level this fades from view in moments.
09th March, 2019
Parfums Dusita Issara is a surprising tobacco-accord re-introducing the amazing Teatro Olfattivo di Parma Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio's "dry-tobacco woody theme" although in this case without the toasted coffee's presence and overall basically in to a greener/muskier finally soapier way. The note of tobacco is dominant, mild and seasoned, still spicy, virile, restrained and piquant a la Bell'Antonio (just finally a tad smoother) but more wet, citric and aromatic. All the rest is quite accessorial (despite vetiver, hay, tonka and ambergris play an influencing role) under my grotesque mediterranean nose. Opening is hesperidic, piney, sharply herbal, mossy, woody-liquid (vetiver) and dry-spicy (on a certain extent) a la Terre d'Hermes. In particular hesperides, pepper, cedar and vetiver initially elicit the sharp TdH's vibe though in a less herbal and more brisk-fluidy coniferous way. While musk is like a ghost (sheer in the opening and gradually evanescent along the way) ambergris is finally a key element providing piquancy and restraint. Dry hay is another fundamental pattern imprinting the arid wooden effect (a sort of seasoned mild/woody vibe strictly connected to tobacco). Finally the juice is all about dry woody tobacco and ambergris, just slightly soothed by a minimal touch musk and tonka bean (the latter enhancing the mild almost soapy final wake). An excellent juice for all the lovers of a dry/woody/seasoned idea of tobacco. A comforting virile woody fragrance painting an enchanted "countryside like" botanical and rural sort of impressionistic "Provencal" scenario.
01st May, 2018 (last edited: 26th May, 2018)
There is both a freshness & an earthiness to this one. There's a crisp, sunlit opening, followed by smooth tobacco, a hint of sage, & an undertone of tonka. Over the first hour, the tobacco becomes smokier, & then comes the best part: the coumarin comes out in full force, with all its hay-like sweetness. There are shades of Chergui here, although this is less sweet & less dense. The projection is excellent for a good six hours, & overall it lasts well over twelve hours, sometimes up to twenty-four on a good day.
I am no expert on fougeres, but I really enjoy this one in autumn, & am very impressed with its performance on my skin.
15th May, 2017
Issara is the most discussed of the relatively new house of Dusita. Described as a fougere, but notably missing the signature note of lavender, Issara is mainly woody, with spicy and resinous elements in the background.

I unfortunately don't detect much of the sage or pine that might otherwise give Issara some interesting nuances from the onset. The oakmoss (synthetic of course) and musk could surely be part of the drydown, as the opening is ever so slightly sharper than the bottom, but I can't get a lot of the neat stuff in between like coumarin. Vetiver is ever so slightly part of the mix, providing the dirtiness that I might be mistaking for a smoky sort of incense.

The fragrance I easily liken Issara to is Eau Des Baux by L'Occitane, a relatively straightforward blend of vanilla, cedar, and incense that is nonetheless superbly blended to be an infinitely wearable option in cold weather. Issara is certainly a bit more complex but its nuances are not overt enough to distinguish sufficently from Eau Des Baux, at least upon first wearing with a modest application from a sample vial. Still, at $295 for 50ml extrait, it's discouraging that I might need to apply quite a bit of perfume in order to enjoy its full character. Extraits are often said to project more modestly than EDPs, though my experience with this variance is inconsistent, but I can at least argue that for that pricing, irrespective of concentration, I'd expect more than the modest projection I've observed with Issara. Its longevity seems above average, though, as it's remained consistent for the hours I've worn it.

A very nice fragrance, but not one I can fathom spending hundreds.

8 out of 10
06th March, 2017

Add your review of Issara

Shop for Issara products online

Member images of Issara

There are no member images of Issara yet. Why not be the first?