Basenotes needs your help!

If you have found this site valuable, useful or entertaining, would you be willing to support us? Our current goal is to upgrade our ageing forum system and bring it to the modern age! Find out More here

Mandrake (2016)
by Parfums Quartana

Mandrake information

Year of Launch2016

HouseParfums Quartana
PerfumerCarlos Vinals
Parent CompanySix Scents Parfums

About Mandrake

Mandrake is a masculine fragrance by Parfums Quartana. The scent was launched in 2016 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Carlos Vinals

Reviews of Mandrake

Mandrake is one of those scents that contains such an overpowering top-note, the rest of the accords are essentially drowned-out by its tenacity. This is a pity, as the accords are enticing, and there’s a lot going on, but maybe too much; Mandrake represents the misfortune of being simultaneously too complex and too linear.

The first impression is that of the orangest-orange imaginable, to the point of its coming across as artificial orange-flavouring, like Tang. Although there are whiffs of a carroty/sweet-potato orange tuber-esque (have I mentioned the ORANGE?) something, likely due to the rhubarb accord, Mandrake struggles to go anywhere beyond the sunny citrus, traveling the same difficult path that Tauer’s Rose Incense takes on my skin.

I’m guessing that this sweet, sweet citrus is a combination of the apple, pomegranate and bergamot, and although I’ve urged Mandrake to go beyond its limits, alas, no. While not necessarily a “scrubber”, I simply don’t like orange-scented anything, but someone else may.

There are others in this series that I like better, although Hemlock is the only “love”, and Wolfsbane would be up there if it weren’t for its castoreum accord; the others, for the most part, are cloyingly sweet, like Mandrake, with a lot of tuberose. Don’t think I haven’t tried to convince myself to purchase more bottles, pay those wallet-busting customs duties & VAT charges, and I truly wish I could find more wearability in Quartana’s “Poison Flowers” series. The premise, packaging, execution, are all wonderfully creative, marrying a sort of Gothic history with contemporary, and even tech-y elements; the boxes are hearty, tabbed, pull-out numbers, drenched in foiled, strong, psychedelic, swirling colours that match the various scents’ labels, some of the juices are brightly coloured, and, also included, are separate contemporary art prints of Japanese calligraphy by a recognised artist. All great, but not if I can’t at least occasionally enjoy the product.
03rd March, 2018
Someone may really enjoy Mandrake, but it's not me. This stuff has been nuclear on my skin! I've tried to wash it off four times, and it's still there!!! Maybe it's just my skin, but BEWARE if you put too much of this stuff on, it may stay with you for a month! It's still screaming at me, like the Mandrake's in the Harry Potter movie! Sigh...

As for the fragrance, it smells like rhubarb to me. There is a rootsy vibe as well. It reminds me a bit of Idyllwild from Ineke which I sampled a few weeks ago, but without the green notes. Perhaps it's the "deadly addiction" note that's putting me off, but I just don't care for this one. longevity and sillage are extremely heavy as I mentioned, so apply with caution.
01st December, 2017

Add your review of Mandrake

Shop for Mandrake products online

Member images of Mandrake

There are no member images of Mandrake yet. Why not be the first?