No. 5 L'Eau (2016)

HouseChanel
PerfumerOlivier Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About No. 5 L'Eau

No. 5 L'Eau is a feminine perfume by Chanel. The scent was launched in 2016 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivier Polge

No. 5 L'Eau fragrance notes

Reviews of No. 5 L'Eau

Quintessence of eau.
Ylangdehyde absolute.
'Flection's rare 'Fraction.
12th August, 2017
For me, the citrus top notes barely last two seconds before being overwhelmed by the aldehydes; the type of aldehydes that to me make the fragrance smell "turned". There's also an overly synthetic, plasticky feel here for the first half-hour. After this, the aldehydes dissipate leaving a creamy, floral accord, which lasts a good long while. The florals are hard to pick out, but on sniffing closely I do detect a pale, silvery iris, & a lovely, fresh rose. There's a lot of clean white musk in the heart, & in the far drydown the citrus resurfaces along with a biscuit-like note, giving a faint impression of lemon cookies. The whole lasts around eight hours before fading.
I can see how this one might be regarded as inoffensive, perhaps even elegant, & for the most part I agree. But the quality of the aldehydes here are a deal-breaker for me. I found much more to enjoy in Eau Premiere, & that, not this, is the one I'd consider buying.
15th May, 2017
I'm rather new to the idea of layering different colognes and perfumes and this was my first successful go at it. I told the young lady in the shop where I purchased this that I really love unique fragrances and am not afraid to wear so-called 'feminine' fragrances. She told me to test this one out, and bless her heart, said "it has something in it that they use to embalm people - what is it called?" And I said "You mean formaldehyde!?" She said "Yes! That's it." So I HAD to try it. I got hit with a HUGE opening blast of aldehydes (she was Western European and her grasp of English was obviously not good, she thought it was 'formaldehyde') which, on my skin, has that unmistakable smell of Paper Whites - those tiny white flowers your Grandmother would let bloom in her house in the spring that smell repugnant if you stick your nose in them. That lasted about 5 minutes and I thought, "Maybe I sprayed too much on - let's ride this out and see where it goes." Ten minutes later that wonderful rose started coming out, with the vetiver right around the corner and I was HOOKED. Full bottle purchase. The first time I wore this out in public, however, a friend said "Did you just hug an old woman??" Again, the Paper White thing, I suppose. So I had an idea right then and there to layer this and I have done that ever since. I spray L'Occitane "Vetyver" ( pretty much a one-note but very quality Vetiver fragrance) and then this Chanel No. 5 l'Eau on top. It takes the aldehydes down a notch, and makes the vetiver last much longer. A personal triumph.
03rd January, 2017
When I heard about this launch I was worried, when I smelled the fragrance I knew that my worries were justified.

Some time ago Jake and Dinos Chapman caused an (intended) uproar by displaying some Goya prints they had bought and then scribbled over, in the way a child would scribble in a book. I feel that this Chanel palimpsest is a similar "work". The faint shadow of the original masterpiece struggles to make itself known, but has not a hope of succeeding. Most of what made Chanel 5 what it was has been removed, leaving just a vague impression. Then to make quite sure that it is possible to ruin a once great fragrance, there is added a dollop of something so sweet and synthetic that one sniff induces tooth-ache.

This is vile and Chanel should be ashamed.
04th December, 2016
Chanel No 5 L'Eau opens with plenty of orange, which sticks around instead of simply disappearing after the opening. The florals are light and not very distinctive and the luscious sandalwood is nowhere to be found. The aldehydes murmur instead of screech. Eventually, a light, powdery iris shows up and saves the show; the perfume starts making sense. The dry down isn’t a generic aquatic musk—it is that beautiful trademark iris.

27th November, 2016
The watermark of No 5 is evident through the fragrance but not compelling enough to purchase it. From an Elle magazine recommendation featuring prominent perfumers a suggestion was made to layer Chanel No 5 and Apres L'Ondee. I've been following that advice and enjoying the result. This new fragrance, to my mind, is not as good as Chance Eau Vive 2015 and I bought a duty free bottle of that, expecting to part with the dollars for L'Eau.
01st November, 2016

Add your review of No. 5 L'Eau

Shop for No. 5 L'Eau products online

Search Amazon for No. 5 L'Eau

Member images of No. 5 L'Eau

There are no member images of No. 5 L'Eau yet. Why not be the first?