Ambergreen (2016)

Ambergreen information

Year of Launch2016

HouseOliver & Co.

About Ambergreen

Ambergreen is a shared / unisex perfume by Oliver & Co.. The scent was launched in 2016

Reviews of Ambergreen

Ambroxin, basil, galbanum reminds me of wet earth and damp leaves, in November. Funerary. This becomes "dark green" with amber, fig leaf, and grass. I thought I smelled tangerine here. I'm not sure. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Woody end, with a bit of orris. A bit too odd for everyday wear.
30th September, 2018
Ambergreen recalls to me the piercingly direct green/sharp angelica opening of Malle's French Lover to me, but made bright and shiny, instead of dark. Where French Lover goes in an incense/musk direction, this stays resolutely GREEN, with the barest hint of florals and softening amber deep in the base to smooth it. I'm not sure if angelica is actually used here. This is a stew of all things green, the pure olfactory representation of the color. I don't know what specific notes are responsible for this effect. Angelica is simply the closest single reference point I can think of.

I have a strong memory/emotional response to this accord, though again, I can't place the exact plant(s) involved. I grew up with a lush a greenbelt behind my house, and scents like this generally recall that lush, sharp, ionized, cooling, wet environment. Not the dirt, just the greenery.

I know the extended green effect is achieved chemically, and the fact this doesn't smell like a nuclear meltdown is remarkable. At times, it does toe that line. It smooths out as the heart and base arrive, notably with jasmine/hedione but it's actually fairly linear to me, and that sharp greenery is always evident.

After a long search for a scent that pulls off an extended, focused take on that spiky, bright, pure vegetal/grassy structure, I've finally found it.
13th September, 2018
Cut grass. Kitchen herbs. Ultrasonic galbanum. Synthetic and harsh in parts but at times oddly riveting in others. I wanted to hate this green ‘thing’ but somehow I couldn’t. AMBERGREEN is to my mind Oliver Valverde’s olfactory interpretation of The Incredible Hulk. Tread carefully with this one...
31st July, 2018
King of England's notes are fabulous and provide a wonderfully articulated review of this scent. Ultimately I find a grating Synth harsh soapy aftertaste that obscures a wonderful bouquet of grasses and green Tangerine? Well OK.
Scrubber for me, however very well may suit Contemporary tastes to a tea.
methinks
06th May, 2018
Initial impression suggests a kinship with Fred Malle's Angeliques sous la Pluie, a favourite fragrance of mine. The fresh topnotes make me think of angelica and parsley-green, though these materials may not be present in reality. They sit on top of an amber base, rather than the musk of Angeliques.

The amber component is that dry woody sort related to cedar, with an almost sulphurous pungency, conveying volcanic activity. I first recall encountering it in the fragrance Boss Elements, which looked and smelled like it was hewn out of rock, and projected the forces of nature. This fragrance is very fresh and herbal in the same way, with considerable masculine appeal.

Bold use of a particular synthetic has characterised some landmark perfumes of the past, such as Chanel No.5 with aldehyde C12 and Fougere Royale with coumarin. Here the key amber molecule is Ambrocenide, Oliver tells us, which is "one of the most scarily powerful materials in memory", according to Luca Turin. Its presence can certainly be felt throughout Ambergreen, but especially in the mid-phase. It releases its grip in the final drydown, which develops a tomato leaf character quite in harmony with the opening.
24th November, 2016 (last edited: 03rd February, 2018)

Add your review of Ambergreen

Shop for Ambergreen products online

Member images of Ambergreen

There are no member images of Ambergreen yet. Why not be the first?