Nightingale (2016)

Year of Launch2016

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerTomoo Inaba

About Nightingale

Messengers of spring arrive, bearing gifts that bring smiles to faces dulled by winter’s chill. The joyous song of the nightingale accompanies vibrant fuchsia-colored aromas of Japanese plum blossoms as they spread, infusing the tepid air. It marks a fleeting moment of emotional awaking: to some a time for celebration and fresh starts; to others, a countdown to a departure for unknown horizons.

Nightingale fragrance notes

Reviews of Nightingale

A light pink-white floral tea. Opens with a blast of saffron, which imparts quite a heavy texture for the first few minutes. I found the weight of this to be a little surprising, but it settles quickly and is replaced by a dry tea and woods with juicy, fruit and berry notes and soft, powdery florals. It's a complex and beautiful opening, evocative and transporting.
Long-lasting (7+ hours) with moderate projection.
Lots going on with the violet. It makes a variety of partnerships through the development - with dusty saffron, sweet rose and sour plum blossom - and it really is the key player of the top and heart of this fragrance. It has an oriental drydown which should appeal to fans of classic Guerlain feminines - rose and white musk with a hint of oudh and incense. Leans femme.
31st December, 2018
I can't believe this is my 1000th review... I wanted to pick something auspicious, so here's Nightingale, one of my favorites.

Nightingale takes some of the best elements of classic perfumery and painstakingly fuzes them together into something that feels fully historically informed, but still maintains an unexpected modernity.

It kicks off with bright, shimmering cherry over a Patou-esque mix of rose, jasmine, and carnation, melting into a doughy clove core lifted from Mitsouko or L'Heure Bleue. There's an animalic civet that comes through as well, a perfect foil for all the prettiness. The end result is halfway between Patou's 1000 and Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue, but with its own character thanks to the sparkling cherry on top and the distinctive way that cherry mixes with the jasmine and clove. By the drydown, I'm left with flowery clove over animalic soap, which reminds me of a de-powdered Nuit De Noel.

Remarkably, if this sounds like a museum piece, it's very much not. While Nightingale's vintage inspirations cloak their charm in powder, Nightingale itself lets its beauty shine without any impressionist haze, so despite its density and complexity, it feels current and more straightforward than you'd think an intricate mix like this could be, and this means that, while clearly classically inspired, Nightingale never feels derivative.

Honestly, if Guerlain or Caron put out something this good right now, it's all we'd be talking about. Necessary sniffing for lovers of Grand Haute Perfumery.
22nd October, 2018
One of the best rose-infused perfumes I have ever experienced. It is warm, woody, and resinous. I get a touch of saffron and violet along with the rose. The base is alive with smoldering notes of patchouli, mossy-ness, musk, incense accord, and ambery goodness. More feminine than masculine IMO. It's just perfection.
06th June, 2018
Nightingale smells just like my grandmother's bathroom, but not in a bad way. Rose-scented loose powder applied with a luxuriously soft puff, lavender hand cream that resembled baby powder after it dried down, a vague camphoraceous smell likely from one or two of the many creams and ointments crowding the countertop--I smell all of this and more. My Mema was an immigrant from Japan, so while I don't recall ever smelling plum blossoms at her house in Northern California, getting a whiff of it here adds to the nostalgia and emotion of an already powerful scent-memory.

To be honest, I won't purchase a bottle of this. But I have no doubt that I'll use up my sample on lazy days at home, just so I can spend a little more time with that amazing woman.
22nd April, 2018
A complex blend of fruit and floral, this is a feminine fragrance from start to finish. Plum, rose, violet, saffron and lemon blast out from the first spray. I agree with the marketing description, reminds me of a Japanese garden. I could never pull this off, too feminine but it is quality and I've been impressed with this house.
14th May, 2017
Nightingale by Zoologist is a light coral hued perfume that smells somewhat like a Japanese tea garden which must be an intended tone from perfumer Tomoo Inaba. The combination of sharp saffron spiced incense violet woods and plum wine floral notes layered over oud wood, patchouli, sandalwood, frankincense and labdanum base gives an aroma of fine dry Japanese style incense imbued paper. This is a spectacular incense floral scent that maintains a purity and lightness of being that is uplifting to be around. I expect to see kimonos, hot tea and gently bubbling waters in the garden when wearing this one. The name Nightengale and the imagery on the bottle does not give a hint at the wondrous mystical dry floral incensed woods that follow after slight application. This is a beautiful fragrance that even though is lightly floral I consider it perfectly unisex.
23rd April, 2017

Add your review of Nightingale

Shop for Nightingale products online

Zoologist Perfume Fragrance Samples Vial - sold individually - choose!

End Date: Friday Jan-18-2019 0:05:13 PST
Buy It Now for only: $12.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Zoologist Perfumes Nightingale Eau de Parfum - 11ml Travel Spray - Canada

End Date: Sunday Jan-20-2019 10:29:05 PST
Buy It Now for only: $45.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Nightingale

There are no member images of Nightingale yet. Why not be the first?