Perfume Directory

The Fragrance Journals : 1962 (2016)
by Floris

Advertisement

The Fragrance Journals : 1962 information

Year of Launch2016
GenderMasculine
AvailabilityIn Production
Average Rating
(based on 27 votes)

People and companies

HouseFloris

About The Fragrance Journals : 1962

The Fragrance Journals : 1962 is a masculine fragrance by Floris. The scent was launched in 2016

The Fragrance Journals : 1962 fragrance notes

Reviews of The Fragrance Journals : 1962

There's a good reason why everyone likes this one. It's damn near perfect!

What I get is 90% Italian Cypress, the same great quality, at a fraction of the price. But wait, there's more! Where the other 10% is perfectly done mint note that sits well under the cypress, so well, so smooth, and never over powers the scent. This makes for something beautiful, high quality, and unique because of the added mint. Sometimes one more ingredient is all you need. Smooth, sophisticated, refined as hell! And different enough to be called its own. The mint gives this a modern edge, while still maintaining 90% of a fragrance that is a classic. (I know Italian Cypress is not a classic, but Halston Z-14 is, and that's where this all goes back to)
27th October, 2019
Very similar to Tom Fords Italian Cypress. I would say that they are at least 80% similar. I love Italian Cypress but feel that here it is improved upon. 1962 is somewhat fresher and has a sublime spearmint note running through it. Classy, masculine, elegant and sophisticated are some of the words that come to mind. A regal fragrance for the gentleman that has a soft spot for the traditional classics.

9/10
05th November, 2018 (last edited: 06th November, 2019)
Cited as "citrus woody". Starts with citrus and clove, which makes it a little old-fashioned to these nostrils, but perhaps that's what they were aiming for. The fragrance is sustained, though, by a floral and cypress heart. The drydown is not so much woody as it is incense, rendering 1962 reminiscent of several CdG numbers. I like this more, though. Amber rounds the performance to make this very wearable, although it was later eclipsed in testing by its 1976 stablemate (q.v.).
06th August, 2018
A fresh cypress with a slightly floral touch that doesn't detract, but causes this fragrance to smell even better. The citrus opening is sharp and slightly strange, but the strangeness is very short lived and this turns into one of the more enjoyable frags I've tried in a while. I love cypress and all things conifer, so this is a must have for me. As mentioned, this does smell somewhat like TF's Italian Cypress because it is a cypress centric fragrance, but it is fresh, where the TF is more smokey, tobaccoey around the edges. Thumbs up!
17th June, 2017
Hypnotic green spearmint, bergamot and something called 'green mandarin'. I normally love mandarin and here the effect with green accents is no exception. Overall, a lime feel is created. Cypress underneath anchors it beautifully.
31st May, 2017
Floris 1962 opens up with plenty of lemons/citrus and verbena, just like Bouchron Pour Homme or Cerruti 1881. Soon enough though it changes to a mellow cypress, a la Italian Cypress, as has been mentioned before. Nothing too strong, nothing overpowering, just a long-lasting aroma that is crisp and clean throughout. Wonderful woody trail.

It's quite an unusual scent given Floris' history and its association with Ian Flemming (No. 89 was a favourite of his). Heavy reformulations have ruined old classics by this brand, so the new private range is a welcome addition.

I have to say though, this scent's marketing blurb is totally irrelevant. There is nothing about London in 1962 that this scent brings to mind. Perhaps a bottle of cloudy smoke would be more relevant, mixed with some sort of illegal drugs from the time? A more accurate description would be a Mediterranean garden, full of sun-soaked trees, perhaps with some lemon or orange groves thrown in.

All in all, ignoring the marketing hoo-hah, it's a great all-round fragrance, worthy replacement of IC that should be versatile enough to warrant a full bottle purchase.
27th February, 2017

Add your review of The Fragrance Journals : 1962

You need to be logged in to add a review

Shop for The Fragrance Journals : 1962 products online

Some of the links we use are affiliate links, meaning if you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission, which helps us keep the site running

Search for on eBay

Versace The Dreamer 3.3 oz EDT Spray Original Formula + Men's Journal

$44.95
End Date: Monday Mar-9-2020 11:18:19 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $44.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list


Member images of The Fragrance Journals : 1962

There are no member images of The Fragrance Journals : 1962 yet. Why not be the first?

You need to log in or register to upload images

Private Notes

You need to be logged in (or register here) to use Private Notes.

Advertisement