Blackpepper (2016)

Blackpepper information

Year of Launch2016

HouseComme des Garçons

About Blackpepper

Blackpepper is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2016

Reviews of Blackpepper

Those looking for a dark, peppery fragrance that's done right will have found it in CdG's Black Pepper. It's blended well, and is never over-powering. Certainly does share Wonderwood's base, but is quite a bit better than that. Vaguely reminiscent of Or Black in feel and tone, but whereas that was in leather, this is in pepper and a woody-cedar, the same dark vibe is present.

I'm going to give this a mild thumbs up because though the scent is really great, it's just not strong enough and requires more sprays than I think it ought to. Somewhat overpriced also, but aren't they all these days.
23rd March, 2017 (last edited: 28th March, 2017)
This is a nice scent. I don't think it is amazing but it is pleasant. Has a dry, peppery opening. Wood notes develop, and it gets very smoky. Then, the oud asserts itself for an "old sneakers in the sun" flourish. Settles into a very safe, crowd-pleasing wood and light musk scent.
08th March, 2017
Wow. Far beyond Marc Jacobs Bang (as general quality) and surely at same Villoresi Piper Nigrum's level (being anywhere the latter a basically diverse and more complex type of juice - less woody and more spicy-resinous), this CdG's black pepper-dominant accord is one of the best renditions of this supremely arid dark "old spice theme". An aqueous-fresh (Wonderwood-conjuring) cedarwood is equally dominant in its abstract dry woody saltiness while black pepper is super-realistic, exotic and elegantly rendered. A simple freshly virile and classy fragrance from the impeccable Comme des Garcons. Thumbs up.
06th February, 2017
Wow...love at first sniff! I never would have thought that a fragrance that is as dark as this would actually be as fresh and clean smelling as it is. It starts off with an amazing black pepper burst...and then woods. Absolutely beautiful and stunning. Then, comes the bad part.....and that's the fact that it pretty much disappears after an hour or two tops. What a tragedy, and a shame, as the fragrance is truly special. There's no way I'd pay the price they're asking for this one with it's complete lack of longevity. Sillage I can live without, but not more longevity. If I could get a good buy on a bottle, I'd definitely pick one up, but not for the asking price. Still, I love the smell of this one so much that it's getting a fractional thumbs up, but only just.
28th January, 2017
I smell the black pepper immediately and this evolves into dark woods that reminds me of wenge or some other dense hardwood that has an dark pepper seriousness. There is softness to follow the woods (tonka, musk) but the character of the fragrance is all black pepper and darkwood. The fragrance becomes a little shallow because there are so few things to dwell upon, so I apply an extra spray or two and that pumps it up a bit. There is no denying the smell is great, a little simple in development but it is all good! Blackpepper by Comme des Garcons is as fine a fragrance to fill the round edgeless CDG flask bottle shape since Wonderwood which bears some resemblance to Blackpepper.
14th January, 2017 (last edited: 20th July, 2017)
As a long time fan of (at least half of their releases) CDG, and after reading so many positive reviews (on other sites) about Blackpepper, I had high hopes for this one.
I though it was going to be the first oasis in a sea of mediocrity, in regard to the oval bottle CDG line, in several years...after enduring the mundane stuff like the "Blue series," Amazingreen, Floriental, Wonderoud, etc.
Although my hopes may have been high, I kept them grounded in reality...so as to shun unrealistic assumptions.
Basically speaking- I WANTED to like this, and then I TRIED to like this. But I find it a disappointment, given others' rave reviews, as well as my affinity for black pepper as a note.
I'm underwhelmed.
The top notes share Wonderwood/Oud's DNA; that's fine and dandy, and to be expected. Black pepper (as a note) DOES announce itself, but with a certain lackluster, and a definite deja vu and feeling of over-familiarity.
It may have had a bit of uniqueness to it, if I hadn't experienced the same thing years ago...
Back around 2003 or so, Diesel, of all brands, released a "Limited Edition" version of its super-sweet juice called Diesel Green. I purchased it accidentally at a great price on clearance at TJ Maxx. I was stunned by it back then, and searched high and low for another bottle of that anomaly until I finally had to order one online from Germany. And soon enough, the jig was up, and I had grown tired of it.
Well- Blackpepper's top notes immediately transported me back to memories of Diesel Green Limited Edition.
For a few minutes, at the tail end of the top notes, the ghost of Tar (Synthetic Series) shows up, and I consider it a short-lived treat...
Until the heart, which has a certain foodiness to it that really rubs me the wrong way. The best way I can describe it is celery and onions. Or chicken broth/soup.
All the while, Blackpepper is very moderate and dignified, insomuch as it's not a sillage beast, nor does it hover an inch over the skin. I find its projection level to be nice and balanced.
This juice's saving grace comes when the heart notes of chicken soup evaporate, leaving a long lasting base of tarry, dry, semi-smoky (as opposed to "dirty/earthy"), and tastefully executed patchouli. As far as a base/dry-down goes, the moderate projection is maintained at a decent level the entire time. I get a good 12 to 18 hours off this.
Bottom line- for such a good base, it's a shame this stuff goes through some jarring phases to get there. When it gets to the good part, however, it lasts, and it projects at a perfect level.
It could be much worse, but I can't give it a full thumbs up.
18th December, 2016 (last edited: 22nd December, 2016)

Add your review of Blackpepper

Shop for Blackpepper products online

Search Amazon for Blackpepper

Member images of Blackpepper

There are no member images of Blackpepper yet. Why not be the first?