Civet (2016)

Year of Launch2016

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerShelley Waddington

About Civet

As the sun sinks over the dense tropical forest, civets emerge warily from the thickets. Under a carpet of narcotic flower blossoms, a smattering of coffee berries peppers the ground. The moist air is heavy with mossy aromas that penetrate every crevice, but the musky scent of the civets dominates; their marked territory daring one to enter at one’s own risk.

Zoologist Civet pays homage to the age-old ingredient, civet, as well as chypre perfumes of bygone days – perfumes that refused to be intimidated by raw, alluring, animalistic musks. Civet is a moody and complex brew entwined in mystery. It opens with a spicy floral accord, threaded through with dark coffee tones. Slowly it prowls forward, unraveling base notes of leather, moss and vanilla that combines with distinctive civet musk to create a bewildering, sophisticated scent with the promise of a sultry nighttime rendezvous.

Reviews of Civet

Starts out modern. Finishes in a retro style. Begins with fruity, spicy, lively notes. Moves into somewhat smoky florals. Drifts away into a familiar base of aromatic, oriental notes. Resinous, a slight of animal. The base reminds me of perfumes made in the middle of the last century.
24th June, 2018
Another stunner from Zoologist!
Opens similar to Jazmin Sarai's Solar 1.
I suppose it's the Oakmoss and Civet which pushes up a great Fruity,Spicy, Musky cloud.
Black Pepper and Carnation Camphour set back the Tuberose to allow a full bloom of Frangipane to create some tropical come hither.
Labdanum weaves it's Leathery feel throughout.
Heliotrope with the Ylang Ylang and Vanilla give it some Gourmandy flavour.
Altogether a really nice blend of a large number of notes, into a smooth symphony.
I get rather long sillage and a perfumed skin hum.
It settles to Resins and trails off into incense.
23rd June, 2018 (last edited: 24th June, 2018)
This one has woken me up.

It's got that warm human/animal smell which could be described as spicy and somewhat honeyed with a strong backdrop of something like glue or soup. But what it actually makes me think of is a presence with some dried but not stale urine and later a little saltiness like sweat. This may not sound appealing but it pulls at a visceral level, in the way of classical perfumes - it's not a rendition of something that smells 'good' like a flower, but of actual funk which smells good to the beast in me. It's warm and enveloping and comforting, not in a vanilla biscuit way, but in a 'belonging to and present on the earth' feeling.

It's also got some spice and florals coming in and out. I couldn't pick out individual notes as I'm so taken by the changing mosaic of smells I get when I sniff my arm. This one will need several wears - another great example of how a new perfume can impress and enthrall.
07th September, 2017
If you have enjoyed the pleasure of smelling raw or real tinctured civet, then your reaction to this composition will be: "This smells absolutely nothing like civet." Neither bluntly nor ethereally does any stage of it come across as being inspired by the animalic gold.

Beyond the misnomer, I found this to be quite pedestrian and forgettable, reminiscent of something I smelled too frequently when I worked the fragrance counter in my youth. It's keenly associational to several different styles of fragrance past — that perhaps is its strong point. It's a musked pastiche of many different perfume conventions, packaged in a gorgeous cut bottle and branded with an interesting concept and design identity.

In fact, I would argue that it's the overarching concept of the line that encourages excitement about this particular bottle. No matter, this outlier isn't buying into that ideology or buying the bottle.
05th July, 2017
I'm no scent genius, and have a hard time describing fragrances and often can only use other fragrances as a benchmark for comparison. Zoologist Perfumes "Civet" reminds me quite a bit of "Givenchy Gentleman" before it was reformulated about 20 years ago. It's a warm, honeyed vanilla and civet marvel that I wish I could afford to wear every day. Zoologist Perfumes may be doing this one a bit of a disservice by simply calling this "Civet" - the name implies a very linear experience, and nothing could be further from the truth. The opening is for me like the original Comme des Garcons Parfume - the one in the oval bottle that has that spicy, Tiger Balm smell to it. Then the leather, coffee and incense kick in to give me that warm honey-like smell which works SO good with civet. If you like Mouchoir de Monsieur, Shalimar or Jicky by Guerlain, or the before-mentioned Givenchy Gentleman, give this one a try.
09th June, 2017
This fragrance is difficult for me to describe. Opens with a chypre-like note mixed with floral and a touch of sweetness. I don't detect civet at the opening. The florals mix with coffee and vanilla to give the sweet undertone. I don't smell the hyacinth, but I do detect tuberose and carnation. Upon dry-down, the leather and musk mix with a tiny bit of civet. The vanilla is still present, taking the edge off of some of the sharper notes. Overall a very complex fragrance, and a great one to be my 400th "Tried" fragrance!
22nd May, 2017

Add your review of Civet

Shop for Civet products online

Zoologist Perfume Fragrance Samples Vial - sold individually - choose!

End Date: Monday Nov-19-2018 0:05:13 PST
Buy It Now for only: $12.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Civet

There are no member images of Civet yet. Why not be the first?