BR78 : Vintage Green (2017)
by Banana Republic

BR78 : Vintage Green information

Year of Launch2017

HouseBanana Republic
Parent CompanyInter Parfums

About BR78 : Vintage Green

This woodsy scent with leafy undertones captures the fantasy of travel, and celebrates originality and the freedom of expression, voice and vision unique to the cultural landscape of 1978 – the year Banana Republic was founded.

BR78 : Vintage Green fragrance notes

Reviews of BR78 : Vintage Green

This is a pleasant, competent spring-green scent. Light and refreshing. Very short longevity but otherwise good.
04th February, 2019
This is one of my recent favorites. Indigo by Nest was one of my first "grown up" (ha!) fragrances back when I knew nothing about perfume and had no idea you could identify the notes beyond what the marketing campaign said. Remember the days when you just sprayed and smelled with complete ignorance and no expectations? That's where I was in Sephora, spraying on strips with abandon, when I came across Indigo and fell in love. But this isn't a review for Indigo, so I should probably move on.

Fast forward several years, and here I am on Basenotes, somewhere between "newbie" and "seasoned sniffer," and I'm still drawn to many of the same notes that I loved in the first place. It's comforting to know that I still love what I loved before even though my taste has broadened at an alarming rate.

Now, Vintage Green. The four reviews behind this one nail it, so I'll do my best to add value. This fragrance is bright with citrus and fig, yes, but it's the green that draws me closer. There's a particular smell that big tropical plants let off when it's humid and H-O-T outside, and Vintage Green captures that smell. I'm seated by a pool surrounded by dense, green foliage, trying to keep to the shade because I forgot my sunscreen, and I'm drinking iced tea to keep cool. I'm about to jump in the water, sunscreen be damned. Isn't that refreshing?
28th August, 2018 (last edited: 10th November, 2018)
A thumbs up, but not a big thumbs up for me. BR78 Vintage Green doesn't really smell very green to me. It's got a nice bergamot opening, but then transitions into an smell that reminds me a bit of green, but it also of Ineke's Idyllwild, which has a strong rhubarb note that I don't much care for. I prefer more actual "green" fragrances than I do this one. Still, it has some panache and style, and is a worthy wear from time to time.
30th July, 2018
Of the 5 releases in the Banana Republic Icon collection in 2017, Vintage Green was the only bottle I felt inclined to purchase, despite the collection in general being quite pleasant and a good value.

Its name is a bit misleading, "green" being included and the year (to which it is an homage) being 1978. It's not a powerhouse scent of yore, but rather, an invigorating, agreeable, and effectively-priced freshie. Mainly a mix of bergamot, musk, vetiver, cedar, and fig, Vintage Green hints a lot of the right spots, with a mix of citrus, florals, woods, and even a hint of sweetness from the fig that foster a balanced offering that's really a great match for daytime warm weather.

Despite an EDP concentration, Vintage Green does not boast projection or longevity that's beyond what I would expect for its price point ($48 for 75ml retail, sometimes reduced 40-50%). It's still a great deal for a fragrance that can be had for under $30 but it'd not one I would wear with the expectation it'll be more than a skin scent for more than 6 hours or will outlast extreme heat. Still, it's a nice option that I welcome in my collection, and it reminds me that I need to retry the other original other four, and I believe there's a new entry to the line, as well.

Overall, a highly-recommended try.

7 out of 10
29th May, 2018
This is a wonderful fresh green fragrance similar to Creed's Original Vetiver or Mugler Cologne but with added notes of green tea and fig, and with the scent of leaves instead of grass. In fact I also smell something reminiscent of neroli in the opening as in the other two fragrances; this is probably a combination of the mandarin orange and jasmine. Mostly however it basically smells of green leaves. It is a beautifully calming green fragrance altogether, and the opening has a very pleasant green bergamot accord as well. On the drydown I get more of the fig note, so it becomes sweeter overall, but the green leaves accord is still dominant. The fig note in this is not as dominant in a fig-based fragrance like for example Atelier Cologne's Figuer Ardent (though this one smells very similar to Banana Republic Vintage Green) or Acqua di Parma's Fico di Amalfi, but it is still definitely there - and I happen to really like the fig note in fragrances. The fragrance is totally unisex but the sweet fig drydown does make it lean a bit feminine. Sillage is moderate but on the stronger side while longevity incredibly strong at over 12 hours! Overall, the Banana Republic Icon collection presents some really great fragrances that are in my opinion niche-quality at designer prices. This one is the best in the collection in my opinion, followed by Banana Republic's Vetiver Linen. I really love this fragrance as it smells so natural and relaxing (especially with the great fig note) and has amazing longevity on my skin, so I'm giving it a perfect score.

22nd May, 2018
Don't let the name fool you - this one does not have a hairy chested, 70's Pine-Sol smelling, powerhouse feel to it. Vintage Green has more of a Mugler Cologne vibe but VG's leafy green notes really stand out whereas Mugler Cologne's vetiver note is very prominent to my nose. Both open with citrus and green notes and neither evolves much through the duration of the scent, remaining fairly linear. VG's tea note is quite pleasant as well and further sets it apart from its Mugler counterpart. This is not a Mugler Cologne clone, nor should it be thought of as a MC replacement. I feel that both play separate and distinct roles in my collection.

I get 8-9 hours of longevity out of Vintage Green which is very good for my skin and it seems to project pretty well.

VG's price point is very good at retail and excellent if you can catch it on sale at the Banana Republic Outlet store.

Overall, I give this one a strong thumbs up despite how linear it is and highly recommend it if you enjoy "green" scents as the strong green leafy notes (think rain forest palm fronds) are a pleasant surprise.
11th October, 2017 (last edited: 13th October, 2017)

Add your review of BR78 : Vintage Green

Shop for BR78 : Vintage Green products online

Member images of BR78 : Vintage Green

There are no member images of BR78 : Vintage Green yet. Why not be the first?