Black Phantom : Memento Mori (2017)
by By Kilian

Black Phantom : Memento Mori information

Year of Launch2017

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerSidonie Lancesseur
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Black Phantom : Memento Mori

Black Phantom : Memento Mori is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur

Black Phantom : Memento Mori fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Phantom : Memento Mori

By Kilian Black Phantom is a dark dandy of the velvety underground night, vaguely kind of bohemian and bizarre. I'd have sweared some red berries could have included in the mix (and peraphs caramel is melted with berrish honey). The juice is never sultry, there is something conjuring violets, red jams, liqueurs-creams and incenses. I don't detect almonds to bè honest while rum and sugar cane are there subtle and balanced. Along the trip the juice turns out even more sophisticated and soft, intriguing as a gothic castle. Dark chocolate? Mah, I don't get it while I can catch a touch of coffee included in the dark melange. Finally sandalwood jumps up, creamy, sugary and spicy and several Neela Vermeire creations as Bombay Bling or Trayee come vaguely on mind (and also creations as Balestra Diamante Nero woman, the new Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Parfum and Black Xs for women are there ready to come on mind on a certain extent). The smell ( even modern despite its sinister 800's-like aura) lingers on your skin so melancholic and gothic for many hours, as a black cape you are wearing while pacing the alleys of a monumental churchyard of a old medieval city.
14th October, 2018 (last edited: 15th October, 2018)
Oh kilian.....I want to like you so much but alas I just cant. Honestly this one isnt too bad. As a matter of fact once the boozieness goes away after an hour or so it is fairly pleasent but getting there is tough and the price is just not worth it to me. The notes are fairly accurate. Lots of rum lots of chocolate and caramel. lots of rum lots of rum lots of r...im repeating myself aren't I. Kilian could make some amazing stuff but they are infatuated with making me smell like a drunk.
09th August, 2018
Dark, sweet, woody. Something a little dirty in it, might be the coffee. Really smooth and buttery. Stays sweet from start to finish.

This is definitely a unisex scent, does not lean one way or the other to me. It's sweet and dark throughout, so probably best for colder weather but I don't really have a feel for what occasion this is best for.

I get excellent projection and longevity.
02nd March, 2018 (last edited: 03rd March, 2018)
I have a thing for the chocolatey/vanilla/gourmandy scents, but this is nothing like any of the ones I’ve tried or have in my perfume stable. On application it’s difficult to pick any one note out, however, after around 20 minutes the individual notes start to peek out, if somewhat timidly – almond, coffee, sandalwood. After an hour or so, the chocolate started to appear, but very faintly, and I got a soft, toasty, biscuity type smell, and spice. There’s also a faint dusty note too, not sure why. A few people have posted here that they smell vetiver in this, and to (or perhaps I should say ‘on’?) me that often smells dusty. This is my first go of a Kilian scent, and I was excited to try it. I like it, a lot. It’s one of those scents that you think has disappeared, but then you get lovely, albeit very faint, wafts of it. It seems to be more of a skin scent though. The staying power is astonishing – I got a good 10 hours out of this. Considering the price though (eye-watering) I’d want a lot more oomph – all of those notes should be delicious, but they’re all so faint that I have to hold my wrist up to my nose to get anything. To be fair, it could just be my skin chemistry. And what there is, is lovely, but for the same money you could easily pick up (as I already had) at least two oriental vanilla/chocolate scents, with similar notes, with way better projection. Unless you have boatloads of cash burning a hole in your pocket, definitely try before you buy.
06th October, 2017
Sugary caramel, coffee and sweet chocolate with some sweet heliotrope taking it in a vanilla direction. If you want to smell like a breakfast donut this cloyingly sweet gourmond is for you. It certainly is not for me. Yuck.
12th August, 2017
By Kilian Black Phantom is a nice addition to the line and a recipient of plenty of enthusiasm and frankly hype from the online community, especially since it immediately followed the lukewarmly-received Noir Aphrodisiac, which I've not yet tried.

Branded as a gourmand, Black Phantom lives up to the hype, a balanced mix of rum, sugar, coffee, chocolate, and caramel. Most of these notes seem to be in harmony with one another, and I confess I don't really detect the almond or heliotrope listed, but they could just minor players relative to the enormity of gourmand notes.

I enjoy the touch of caramel as I find it used less in fragrances I tend to prefer than coffee or chocolate or rum. It makes for a pleasant blend that has a touch of each of the quintet of main notes.

It's not an especially dark fragrance, though, to me. It's just very desserty and less so a breakfast type of concept.

It's important to note that Black Phantom isn't a powerhouse performer in the way of, say, Shihan/Sensei by Piotr Czarnecki that simply represents a mixture of various gourmand winter notes. Rather, Black Phantom is a very good performer, certainly up to what I'd expect of a winter-leaning By Kilian fragrance, but actually slightly more welcoming in its non-beastliness than a stronger counterpart might be.

Agreeable for men and women, and while generally a winter option, also something that could be pulled off in light application on summer nights, Black Phantom checks most of my boxes for a fragrance worth occupying, and it deviates from enough other gourmands that I'm a fan of (Bond No. 9 ILNYFA and New Haarlem both come to mind) so it has enough uniqueness going for it to be worth considering buying.

I'm an instant fan and it's on my list.

8 out of 10
29th June, 2017

Add your review of Black Phantom : Memento Mori

Shop for Black Phantom : Memento Mori products online

By Kilian Black Phantom "Memento Mori" Kilian Box, Coffret and Key Only.

End Date: Sunday Jan-20-2019 7:59:13 PST
Buy It Now for only: $98.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

DUA Fragrances Black Widow (Black Phantom)5ML DELUXE Travel*SAMPLE+Free Shipping

End Date: Sunday Jan-20-2019 11:47:14 PST

KILIAN Set Dark Lord Ex Tenebris lux & Black Phantom Memento Mori

End Date: Monday Jan-21-2019 13:07:12 PST
Buy It Now for only: $15.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

KILIAN LOVE INTOXICATED VODKA ON THE ROCKS STRAIGHT TO HEAVEN MOONLIGHT+ SAMPLES

End Date: Tuesday Jan-22-2019 12:05:58 PST

Kilian EDP 1,5 ml spray BLACK PHANTOM

End Date: Friday Jan-25-2019 11:22:46 PST
Buy It Now for only: $8.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

AUTHENTIC Black Phantom by Kilian (EDP) Memento Mori - Sample FAST FREE SHIPPING

Buy It Now for only: $13.99

Buy It Now for only: $13.99

Buy It Now for only: $26.99

Buy It Now for only: $49.99

2 decanted perfumes - Kilian Black Phantom and Byredo Black Saffron each 3ml

End Date: Saturday Jan-26-2019 6:17:34 PST
Buy It Now for only: $30.00

Member images of Black Phantom : Memento Mori

There are no member images of Black Phantom : Memento Mori yet. Why not be the first?