Black Phantom : Memento Mori (2017)
by By Kilian

Black Phantom : Memento Mori information

Year of Launch2017

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerSidonie Lancesseur
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Black Phantom : Memento Mori

Black Phantom : Memento Mori is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur

Black Phantom : Memento Mori fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Phantom : Memento Mori

Sugary caramel, coffee and sweet chocolate with some sweet heliotrope taking it in a vanilla direction. If you want to smell like a breakfast donut this cloyingly sweet gourmond is for you. It certainly is not for me. Yuck.
12th August, 2017
By Kilian Black Phantom is a nice addition to the line and a recipient of plenty of enthusiasm and frankly hype from the online community, especially since it immediately followed the lukewarmly-received Noir Aphrodisiac, which I've not yet tried.

Branded as a gourmand, Black Phantom lives up to the hype, a balanced mix of rum, sugar, coffee, chocolate, and caramel. Most of these notes seem to be in harmony with one another, and I confess I don't really detect the almond or heliotrope listed, but they could just minor players relative to the enormity of gourmand notes.

I enjoy the touch of caramel as I find it used less in fragrances I tend to prefer than coffee or chocolate or rum. It makes for a pleasant blend that has a touch of each of the quintet of main notes.

It's not an especially dark fragrance, though, to me. It's just very desserty and less so a breakfast type of concept.

It's important to note that Black Phantom isn't a powerhouse performer in the way of, say, Shihan/Sensei by Piotr Czarnecki that simply represents a mixture of various gourmand winter notes. Rather, Black Phantom is a very good performer, certainly up to what I'd expect of a winter-leaning By Kilian fragrance, but actually slightly more welcoming in its non-beastliness than a stronger counterpart might be.

Agreeable for men and women, and while generally a winter option, also something that could be pulled off in light application on summer nights, Black Phantom checks most of my boxes for a fragrance worth occupying, and it deviates from enough other gourmands that I'm a fan of (Bond No. 9 ILNYFA and New Haarlem both come to mind) so it has enough uniqueness going for it to be worth considering buying.

I'm an instant fan and it's on my list.

8 out of 10
29th June, 2017
What the ....? Salted caramel, melted butter and coffee dregs?? Smells like a truckstop diner, if you ask me. Now I completely understood the reason for the grinning skull. I even half-expected to see the crew of Punk'd to appear as I type this out...
19th June, 2017
Black Phantom is clearly inspired by Pure Coffee or New Haarlem, but takes the coffee gourmand in its own direction.

There's roasted coffee, of course, paired with burnt sugar caramel and that evaporated milk smell from Angel. What Phantom does differently than its coffee brethren is to leave out the forward patchouli and lavender that usually dominate the genre, opting instead for a very buttery sandalwood. It's the mix of sweetened condensed milk and butter that ends up forming Black Phantom's core - after about an hour, most of the coffee and everything else fades, leaving this milk/butter mix for most of the day.

If the milk/butter mix sounds weird, it sort of is, but it's a fun take on gourmand, bringing to mind Mexican wedding cookies or tres leches cake. I like that it's sweet without relying on overused vanilla or stupid marshmallows, but would nitpick that it's a bit tedious in its linearity once the coffee fades. But I still think it's fun and deserves a thumbs up.
31st May, 2017 (last edited: 19th June, 2017)

Add your review of Black Phantom : Memento Mori

Shop for Black Phantom : Memento Mori products online

Search Amazon for Black Phantom : Memento Mori

Member images of Black Phantom : Memento Mori

There are no member images of Black Phantom : Memento Mori yet. Why not be the first?