Saint Julep (2017)

Year of Launch2017

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About Saint Julep

Saint Julep is a shared / unisex perfume by Imaginary Authors. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Meyer

Saint Julep fragrance notes

Reviews of Saint Julep

This fragrance will be your summer theme fragrance. Please believe the other reviewers that go into detail about the notes. This stuff is awesome. I will give a better review in the spring when I start wearing it again.

If you don't have a bottle, order it now before something silly happens... like it becoming discontinued.
30th December, 2018
Starts off like a minty-salty version of Baccarat Rouge 540. Keeps that cotton candy sweetness into the drydown but then you get more of the green notes, almost vetiver-like. Similar to the MFK, it is very sweet so seems unisex to me.

On my skin, the projection is quite good and longevity is in the 6-8 hour range.
30th October, 2018 (last edited: 31st October, 2018)
Saint Julep is becoming my “go to” summer fragrance. Imaginary Authors creates scents that my chemistry absorbs with intent, letting the world know what fragrance I have on. My personality begs for perfumes that “herald.” Sillage is good, and Saint Julep has lasting power on my skin. The opening has a burnt sugar affect, but soon that morphs into a Bourbon/citrus blend, (Bourbon like Baker’s or Blanton’s, with more of a caramel taste) reminiscent of past summer days drinking Pimms; a self indulgent, absent “Tennessee Williams day,” trying to impress a young lady in a sundress and a floppy hat. I feel comfortable wearing Saint Julep, and it “works” on these hot, desert like days, in Utah.
30th August, 2018
I love Imaginary Authors because of their potent and lasting power. Saint Julep is no different. Sweet sugary mint like a "Mojito." In this case a "Mint Julep" which is similar. Add the fruit, whiskey and magnolia and wella! It lasts and lasts on me. I get a whiff of it now and then and it makes me and my nose very happy.
20th March, 2018
Lip-smacking mint – fresh as a daisy, properly green and herbal, not toothpasty – backed with very moreish ripe and candied citrus. The skill is in the realization which is so vibrant it’s like nothing else I’ve smelled before, despite the familiarity of the notes. A joyous burst of a thing that will revive and restore.
The mint does fade after about half an hour but seems to leave a ghostly presence behind as the perfume moves to greater citrusy juiciness underlaid with sugar. It’s a tall glass with ice kind of affair rather than cloying and syrupy, before the eventual move towards greater candied solidity. There’s an underlying note common to Tauer’s Pentachords Verdant (a pretty useless reference, I’ll admit, except for those who have experienced this now discontinued perfume), sweet but also somewhat earthy, and persistent which carries this perfume to the end of the day.
I was bowled over by the minty opening and would have loved to hang on to it for longer, but felt the evolution was sufficiently accomplished to make this one a keeper.
08th August, 2017
Imaginary Authors' latest release quite overtly takes from the mint julep drink as its main inspiration, and while I cannot claim to have even tried the drink itself more than a couple of times in my life, I'm nonetheless still enchanted by the fragrance that takes on the challenge of creating a cocktail that smells nice on skin.

It's a harmonious blend of mint, bourbon, and sugar, primarily. The mint, most importantly, is not like toothpaste or chewing gum, nor is it medicinal, so it occupies the space of smelling like the natural plant mint leaves that we associate with mint juleps and mojitos, providing the requisite green sharpness without any negative connotations with processed items. The mint is strongest at the opening, after which it gives way someway to the bourbon and sugar; this is palpably a sweet liquor blend, not even liqueur, but liquor on the one hand coupled with lots of sugar on the other. This isn't a distinction I'd usually make but it's important to note here that the non-mint aspect of this is very sweet, sweeter than liqueurs, even, at times.

It's the balance between the mint and the bourbon/sugar pairing that is the achievement most worth noting in Saint Julep. Even though I'm always excited to see the next Imaginary Authors fragrance, I was a little pessimistic about this since I'm not usually a mint fan (save examples like Viktor & Rolf Antidote that I love), but mint is used so sensible in Saint Julep, not necessarily restrained but only in the appropriate quantity.

And of course, I like boozy scents, so this fits the bill.

The main detraction, if it can be called that, even, is that, performance-wise, Saint Julep leaves a little bit to be desired relative to its company in the Imaginary Authors house, and the case may simply be that it's more fitted for lighter wearing, or at least for warm-weather wearing, but it's certainly nowhere near the likes of A City on Fire, Memoirs of a Trespasser, and my personal favorite, Cape Heartache. It's even slightly below the two saffron-dominant releases, An Air of Despair and Slow Explosions, and is best analogized to Every Storm a Serenade (I've rattled off every IA bottle that I own).

This is fine, though, as the scent itself makes me think of summer (perhaps being at the Kentucky Derby or reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," which increased awareness of the mint julep, at least mine) and it's certainly better-suited for warm weather wearing than cold weather wearing.

Certainly worth trying if it sounds interesting, but that it would be interesting was almost a given, given that it's an Imaginary Authors scent. So many hits, I'll have to nab a bottle of this and can't wait to see what's next.

8 out of 10
26th June, 2017

Add your review of Saint Julep

Shop for Saint Julep products online

Shop for Saint Julep at online perfumeries

Member images of Saint Julep

There are no member images of Saint Julep yet. Why not be the first?