Dragonfly (2017)

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerJuan M Perez

About Dragonfly

The company says:

Like a glade captured in delicate strokes upon an impressionist canvas, the rich, green floral medley of Zoologist Dragonfly transports you through a maze of moody tones and melancholy weather. This olfactory journey echoes the cycle of a cobalt pond, from the crackling light of dawn to the thick blanket of nightfall, under the gaze of the flitting dragonfly.

Dragonfly fragrance notes

Reviews of Dragonfly

The opening is an exceedingly powdery floral. Not in a makeup-powdery iris kind of way, but more of a babypowder way. I figure I mostly get the heliotrope and peony. It comes off a bit too old-womanly for my tastes. The opening is also very dry, I don't get much of the rain or rice at all.

Then after about 45 min things start to get "wetter" per se. The florals get less sharp, and the scent overall gets a bit deeper with the "rain notes" coming in. But the vibe still stays primarily very floral and powdery.

My overall impression is that this is a bit too feminine for me. I don't think my nose is as tuned to this kind of fragrance as others, most Zoologist scents have something that separates them from the pack, but I personally struggle to differentiate this from the other few scents in this category that I've tried. Despite the fact that there's no white florals to be found in this, it reminds me quite a bit of Serge Lutens' Datura Noir. Given that, I would say to take my lukewarm review with a grain of salt, as I may not be able to pick up on some important nuances. The house is a favorite of mine, so if this is your style of fragrance, still be sure to give it a sample!
16th January, 2020
This was my first experience with Zoologist and I am also a heliotrope lover, so I was looking forward to trying this and had high expectations based on all the buzz this house was getting.

I hated it upon first sniff and didn't understand the positive reviews. I actually had to wash it off and this doesn't happen often. When the 2018 Guide came out and Sanchez likened it to baby powder and disposable diapers I felt relieved and that I wasn't crazy. I agree with her impressions completely and think it smells like a diaper-y mess, which is what happens when you aren't skilled with heliotrope or don't use enough restraint with it.

My experience with Dragonfly unfortunately caused me to lose interest in this house for a while. However, now that the 2018 Guide is out and Hummingbird and Nightingale were rated 4 stars, I will thankfully be giving this house another try and testing those out.
16th November, 2019
I can see why Dragonfly is so popular! The peony and rainwater in the opening is so light and gorgeous. The lemony aldehydes are short lived but just enough to have another burst of freshness. Dragonfly settles down to an airy powdery iris note with hints of lotus, rice, and clover flitting gently in the breeze.

Warm amber, velvety musk, and soft moss bring Dragonfly to a close.
04th August, 2019
I knew this was going to be good before I tried it, having read Darvant's review. Damn, I wish could write like that!
This scent is so very poetically Feminine, brilliantly watercoloured and orchestrated to a sweet powdery thing.
Just when I feel it will become saturated and border cloying dry sweetness, a dab of Aquatic, Watermelon, Calonic draws it back to some moisture.
This Calonic is something that few noses can handle with finesse. ex. O'Driu Ta
While it is an enjoyable ride on my skin, it seems a little too pretty for my Masculine daily wear.
Gosh though, on a woman, with it's lack of Ambroxinized bluster, what a gorgeous thing!
23rd June, 2018 (last edited: 24th June, 2018)
I only had a tiny bit to try. I felt compelled to write about it anyway. Dragonfly is so delicate, serene, magical even. It actually reminds me of a fresh rain. Beautiful blossoms sprinkled with raindrops. Warm sun. A fresh breeze. A very well-composed fragrance. A watercolor painting of delight.

Will have to procure another sample or decant to experience this again.

Procured a travel spray for more testing. It is just as beautiful as first sniffed!
15th November, 2017 (last edited: 16th June, 2018)
A further Zoologist's well crafted olfactory twist. Freehearted and almost oneiric feminine ambery-musky fragrance. A credible synth accord with a radiant brightness. Dragonfly ideally conjugates a typical Andrea Maack's aldehydic combination of papyrus, greens, musky/mineral amber, medicinal lime, white powder and dry flowers with an equally "futuristic" accord of aqueous pond-like florals (lotus, peony, lilac) and synth muskiness a la Ex Nihilo Fleur Narcotique or Chinatown Bond No. 9. A froozen in time translucent white-green atmosphere. There is all around a dominant medicinal/tart floral muskiness with a sort of mineral/vaguely ozonic spark. Heliotrope and amber slightly tame (along the journey) the dominant lemony/leafy floral tartness but the aroma is all about aldehydes, tart berrish fruits, humid/lymphatic/leafy florals, pharmaceutical lime, secret minerals and aroma chemical green muskiness. Dry down is softer, diaphanous, vaguely talky/poudree and super sophisticated. Ancestral kind of ostensibly vegetal fragrance. The Dragonfly's idea of woman is ethereal and elusive, a "presence" from a sort of muffled and candid/naive untouchable world of innocence, silk and white dreams. Welcome to the ancestral universe of innocence.
10th October, 2017