Smolderose (2017)

Year of Launch2017

HouseJanuary Scent Project
PerfumerJohn Biebel

About Smolderose

Smolderose is a shared / unisex perfume by January Scent Project. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumer John Biebel

Reviews of Smolderose

A very interesting and unique take on rose. I haven't smelled anything like it. There is rose all the way, but paired with what smells like gasoline to me. Not oud or wood, but more like gasoline from a petrol station. There are other notes of course, likely resins and florals and even sea shell is mentioned in the notes pyramid above.

It is an intriguing fragrance. I like it, but because of its uniqueness I suspect one might get bored with it after some time. Although it is a rose-focused scent, it leans more masculine in my opinion.
28th August, 2018
A bright blast of citrus. It sparkles. The rose seems to change its character throughout the top, heart, and the base - from spicy sweet, honeyed, then earthy. I get a smoky, sugary wood vibe from time to time. This has an incense-y, patchouli base that goes on and on. Overall I love this stuff. I'm a huge fan of rose perfumes. And, this one is different from all I own. A decant of this will be in order one day.
05th August, 2018
Opens bittersweet, smoky-oily and jarringly chemical, pretty much like a noxious petrol spill. It settles quickly enough to reveal a drier a little less unpleasant but no less weird melange of fruity/smoky notes that reminds me of cheap shampoos.

I’m disappointed. I’ve heard wonderful things about Smolderose and had looked forward to sampling it. I love rose scents and I’m familiar with rose-oud combos but this oddball is definitely not one of them. I don’t smell any rose of any known genre or subspecies here either.

Maybe I’m hyperosmic to the ‘fruity floral shampoo’ note but IMO it has no business being here. In any case the ‘petrol fumes’ introduction to rose & resins has been done before and with much greater finesse in Histoires de Parfums Rosam. It makes this effort by January Scent Project seems amateurish in comparison.

Ultimately it boils down to the scent. I didn’t enjoy it, couldn’t scrub it off soon enough. And that’s why I’m giving it a ‘THUMBS DOWN’.

04th June, 2018
Smolderose is a delicious jammy and smoky rose. It is mysterious and alluring. Gypsy rose! Esmeralda. Add some incense smoke, olibanum, patchouli and wow, mind blowing. Perfect for Fall days. Excellent work by John Biebel.
30th March, 2018
A beautiful Rose and an unusual and novel way presenting it. In structure it is reminiscent of Dusita Oud Infini using the Bouquet of the Sea, rather than the Deer Musk. This has an effect of having the Rose as a Star rather than the Star and from a background of animalic.
Agarwood presents itself much the way of
Heeley's Agarwoud.
Is it the Cade and Labdanum working together to produce a gentle Smokey, Petrol, Leathery tilt?
Bergamot and Frankincense provide an acidic, slicing Pepper to counter to the sugars.
Not your average Rose Oud.
Now, laying down a layer of the Oil on my skin, I first meet an impression which is.
Working all day splitting Springs, wrapping in Cedar boughs, laying against the bonfire. A trinity perfume of: the Sea, the Forest and the Burn.
Anyone who has nosed a number of, particularly Moroccan, Damask Absolutes, will recognize the opening Spiciness and Fire.
Biebel highlights the Natural Smokiness of this nectar and expands upon it, just enough to have me recognize "Of Course", the Smoke.
The Rosiness whispers around the edges and with Absolutes the Rose comes into focus.
With John's creation he has managed to present a fuzzy Static Picture of the Rose's olfactory development.
For me, that is Art. I, will wear this, often.

Another beautiful and stunning, John Biebel Masterpiece.
10th March, 2018 (last edited: 08th June, 2018)
harper Show all reviews
i love this: a dry-ish, greenish, slightly fruity, slightly smokey and bitter rose (with faint oily undertones of something like slumberhouse pear & olive.) definitely not your usual rose in a field that is way over-saturated. i want a bottle.
01st December, 2017

Add your review of Smolderose

Shop for Smolderose products online

Member images of Smolderose

There are no member images of Smolderose yet. Why not be the first?