Confessions of a Garden Gnome (2016)
by Fort and Manlé

Confessions of a Garden Gnome information

Year of Launch2016

HouseFort and Manlé
PerfumerRasei Fort

About Confessions of a Garden Gnome

Confessions of a Garden Gnome is a shared / unisex perfume by Fort and Manlé. The scent was launched in 2016 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Rasei Fort

Reviews of Confessions of a Garden Gnome

Stunningly blended - depth without weight; wears beautifully.
Like all of Fort and Manle’s fragrances, it’s a storyteller, describing the seasonal flow of light and texture though a garden. The opening is light, sparking green, smooth blonde woods and fresh watercolour florals - it’s spring, bringing to mind (for me, at least) the pastel shades of sweet pea blooms. As the heart settles, the greens get deeper and sharper - wetter, and with a hint of the sour bite of crushed stems. The florals step back from the foreground and drift into the periphery, becoming a musky floral halo; a hint of sweetness to balance the green. Underneath all this is something mineralic and mossy - wet rockery stones.
One of three from this house (along with Mr Bojnakopf’s Purple Hat and Fateh Sultan Mehmed) which are on my hitlist.
31st December, 2018
Caveat lector. This is my very first review here. My nose and my olfactory education in no way match my ability to spew forth text. That being said...

This is a scent that I want to love. No. That's wrong. It's a scent I quite love. I have been searching for a "light" green scent for quite awhile that isn't sweet or too floral. Just in time for fall, I've found a great summer scent in Garden Gnome.

As an aside, if I add this to my collection, people are assuredly going to to believe me a prankster if/when they ask what I'm wearing. My favorite, Ummagumma, and now this. If they ask twice, I will most certainly be written off.

But back to the review. I love how green this scent is. Just a hint of floral in there to soften things, and also keep things unique enough to not be banal. The cedar and musk poke through even at the opening, and I continue to smell violet throughout. Again, my ignorance to individual scents (where can I take a class?) leaves me lacking for what else I'm smelling here, but even in complete drydown the cedar and musk remain.

I feel like there are also hints of the ivy that I love in Diptique's Eau de Lierre, but without the sweetness that EdL pumps out after the drydown. And I suppose it's the cedar/musk mix, but there are moments that almost smell vetiver-esque, though none is listed in the notes.

I read a lot of reviews here and a fair number of complaints about reformulation and lack of longevity. Most of the scents I've worn that are complained about seem plenty robust to me. So now I'm going to contribute to my own pet peeve and say, for this cost, Garden Gnome is an awfully lazy worker. He may show up strong at dawn, but he seems to be slothful enough to go home for a siesta, have too much wine, and then just fails to show up for the remainder of the daylight hours he's expected to be clocked in. In fact, this is the sole reason (cost to performance) that I am at all hesitant to fork over my earned pittance to the Gnome.

How does my garden grow? I don't know. The Gnome went home.

But for me, this juice is so enjoyable that I haven't abandoned the idea of hiring that lazy unicorn of an employee anyway. I know they'll phone it in half the day, but they will be brilliant when they are in.

14th October, 2018
Confessions of a Garden Gnome triggered a pang of nostalgia for the underappreciated but eminently wearable and lovely Vert d’Eau by Les Neriades. That was a cheapie which is now unavailable and because it came in a splash bottle (instead of a spray) the remnants of mine have quite deteriorated. But here I sense the same gentle aquatic shimmer of a cool green interpretation of lily of the valley, though with a somewhat firmer anchor of a woody base which makes it a bit less floaty. Nevertheless, Vert d’Eau was a charming if simple warm weather favourite and this is in the main (apart from a fresh burst of lemon in the opening and the woodiness) pretty similar. The beauty of both perfumes is in their effortlessness, their notes are painted in runny watercolour rather than oils, their feel is cooling muslin rather than opulent silk, and one can wear them without thinking too much about them.
Apart from the large price differential, I welcome this like a long-lost friend.
18th June, 2018
Confessions of a Garden Gnome by Rasei Fort of Fort & Manlé

I don’t really know where to begin to do justice to what I have just experienced smelling Confessions of a Garden Gnome, but this fragrance is a botanical masterpiece. It literally brought tears to my eyes. The originality and artistry put into this remarkable fragrance makes it clear you are smelling the work of a true artist. What it is, is a journey through the seasons through the “life” of a Garden Gnome. Everything experienced throughout the year intertwined. You smell elements of each season beautifully blended into what smells like...life. It’s the only way I can describe it. This fragrance is like a bottled version of the air we breathe and what gives us life. Contrasting coolness and warmth, blooming florals against withering leaves, air, soil, branches, rain, snow, sun...it’s all there. An artistic interpretation of the life we experience every day, bottled. Earthy realism at its finest. An emotional experience. 10/10

Top notes are pink pepper, coriander, sicilian bergamot and yuzu; middle notes are rose, lily, lily-of-the-valley, violet leaf and mango; base notes are white musk, amber, virginia cedar, birch and ambergris.
26th December, 2017
Confessions of a Garden Gnome, a curious name, aptly suggests the garden itself, and the fragrance effectively conjures ideas of the garden and vegetation, its scent profile dominated by the floral trio of lily-of-the-valley, violet, and rose, to my nose. The pink pepper factors in significantly for most of the life of the fragrance, as well, giving way to a dry down of cedar and white musk, prominently, so smooth and soft.

It's fresh, and mainly floral, yet also a little sweet and woody. An agreeable, unisex option, better suited for warmer rather than colder weather, as it does have somewhat of a fresh, daresay clean vibe, even.

Unsurprisingly, due to note composition, it's a less significant performer than Charlatan and (certainly) Amber Absolutely, and so, at the same pricing of 230AUD / 178USD for 50ml, it's a tougher sell than those. Still, I think many might enjoy it quite a bit. It's surely worth of a try at least.

7 out of 10
11th October, 2017
I was lucky enough to grow up living in places with gardens large enough for a boy and his siblings to have hours of imagined adventure; and memories that hide in your subconscious until something teases them out.
In this case the Fort and Manle's Confessions of a Garden Gnome has penetrated my mind through my nose.
In a single wearing, you get sensations of sunny late winters where stepping from shade to sunshine warms your skin by several degrees. It opens with a singing violet leaf that stays in a high register guiding you through the seasons.
You get white floral early spring bouquets and already you get a sense of the chameleonic nature of the fragrance. When florals subside it's time for the ambergris, musk and patchouli to take over and represent the cooler months of the year. The birch here is more dry bark than tar, and you can almost smell the carpet of wet fallen leaves that is laid on the brick pavement.
If this was a painting it would be a Monet study of the same thing at different times of the year.
One of the best things i have smelled.
04th August, 2017

Add your review of Confessions of a Garden Gnome

Shop for Confessions of a Garden Gnome products online

Shop for Confessions of a Garden Gnome at online perfumeries

Member images of Confessions of a Garden Gnome

There are no member images of Confessions of a Garden Gnome yet. Why not be the first?