Gabrielle (2017)

PerfumerOlivier Polge
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Gabrielle

Gabrielle is a feminine perfume by Chanel. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Jacques Polge, Olivier Polge and Christopher Sheldrake

Gabrielle fragrance notes

Reviews of Gabrielle

Gabrielle is the newest Chanel perfume, released in September 2017. It’s an “abstract” floral perfume, inspired by four flowers - jasmine, ylang ylang, orange blossom and tuberose. In a recognizable, square Chanel bottle, polished to perfection, 4 sides capture the dance of golden and silver light that shroud the tube of the diffuser. Sylvie Legastelois designed the bottle while the famous Olivier Polge made the perfume. It is meant for the brave and rebellious women (as written by cowardly and meak fashion and lifestyle magazines). Since when did brave and rebellious women read that kind of magazines? They go to the perfume shop, try what they want and buy only the scent that captures their character, goal and vision.

Gabriella ella ella e e e, under my umbrella ella a…these fancy things, will never come in between, you’re part of my entity, here for eternity. This retelling of Rihanna’s song shows my passion, respect and admiration for the woman who’s been, for an entire century, an inspiration for books, movies, composers. The more I read about perfumes the more I grow attached to the House of Chanel, and especially its founder, famous Coco and the real person behind the well known name…Gabrielle. I’ve read so many books and articles that I feel like I know her intimately. So this review is dedicated to her personally.

In an interview a few years back, Karl Lagerfeld said that he thinks that if Coco was alive today she would hate what he did with the brand. Note: Lagerfeld is fashion designer for the House of Chanel. I’m not sure he is right about that because to this day, Chanel amazes me with its newest fashion pieces I see on the Internet. But I am positive that she would have hated what Olivier Polge did with their newest perfume Gabrielle.

The official inspiration for the perfume was “Coco before Chanel”. Talented, rebellious, creative, stubborn and persistent Gabrielle was the inspiration. The girl that embodied male energy and female sensuality. The girl that dreamt of making a perfume that not only smelled new and nice but also pushed the boundaries of social and cultural taboos. That was both fashion and philosophical statement. She managed just that with her famous Chanel no 5 - more on it another time...

Long awaited perfume Gabrielle, which was surrounded by a veil of mystery, pompous announcements, skilled marketing tricks and campaigns, is a bitter disappointment. Kristen Stewart is a terrible choice, an actress famous for her meak role in Twilight series, so lost in time and space she is the furthest possible character from Gabrielle Coco Chanel. If she was alive today, Kristen would be the last person Coco would choose to advertise her new perfume.

As for the scent itself, let me paraphrase a well documented quarrel between two local celebrities and say that Gabrielle is a big, beautiful NOTHING. There are no better words to describe this perfume…beautiful nothing…orange blossom, jasmine, a bit of tuberose…for a woman that inspired an entire century, this is painfully simple, prosaic and unoriginal. I need to apologize to Gabrielle Coco Chanel through this text. She did NOT deserve this. This is NOT a monument to a person’s life and work. This is a mockery. I will paraphrase Karl Lagerfeld: If Coco was alive she would have hated it. And indeed, if Coco was alive she would have hated the new Gabrielle. Sadly she is not but the memory of her is whiten all of us. So in the name of us, I can say freely: We hate the new Gabrielle.
04th November, 2017
The top notes had me hoping (I'm a big fan of Mademoiselle), but as top notes do, they fade quickly, leaving me smelling like soap.

Not good.
02nd November, 2017
I'm a big fan of the new Chanel, Gabrielle. I've worn it a bit, and I've also spent time with someone wearing it, and I have liked it both ways. It smells like a typical Chanel to me, and I like the house style. It initially reminded me of Cristalle edt, a crisp floral. It's fresh and playful. It smells like a picture perfect Brasserie in Paris, on a day with perfect weather, with people in good spirits, and perfume in the air.
26th September, 2017 (last edited: 27th September, 2017)
Stardate 20170912:

Chanel does Sauvage. Or, perhaps more apt, Blue de Chanel Pour femme.
Inoffensive, safe and boring.
12th September, 2017
Gabrielle opens with a modern, bracing, soapy aldehyde and sweet mandarine, not the vintage-smelling aldehyde in No.5, as if it's an effort to remind people that it's a Chanel fragrance but also to send the message: "Rest assured, this is not 'old-fashioned', at all".

The transition between the forcefully bright fruity aldehydic opening to the luminous, clean white floral heart is seamless. I can hardly discern any particular facets of these 4 flowers, "abstract floral" indeed. Slowly but surely, Gabrielle gets sweeter with time, and almost turns jammy and saccharine around the 3rd hour because of the cassis note. Thankfully, it then goes back to the "abstract floral" route and firmly remains in the "clean soapy fruity floral shampoo" territory till the end.

Gabrielle has a moderate sillage and a longevity of 8 hours on my skin.

I have to admit, the olfactory description employed in the press release is spot on. Gabrielle is indeed radiant, sparkling, luminous, feminine, and its treatment of flowers is very abstract. It's also predictable, inoffensive, pretty in the conventional way and attuned to the modern sensibility. Moreover, its jammy fruitiness is also clearly a sign that Gabrielle is engineered towards a young clientele of today, which totally makes sense for a major commercial launch from a business point of view.

However, from my personal point of view, I find Gabrielle derivative and uninspiring. While wearing Gabrielle for a few times, I was initially reminded of other abstract florals such as Dior J'Adore, Chanel Beige and Jour d'Hermès. But upon examining them more closely, the touted "abstract"quality of Gabrielle actually makes it appear more muddled and less refined, and ultimately the one with the least personality.

I would recommend Gabrielle to those who'd like a feminine, abstract, clean, modern aldehydic fruity floral from a widely-recognised brand, but I think there are other quality, similar-styled and more affordable choices out there, if one is not fixated on the Chanel brand.
12th September, 2017
They mixed Eau Vive with No 5 L'Eau and called it Gabrielle. Finis.

Add your review of Gabrielle

Shop for Gabrielle products online

Search Amazon for Gabrielle

Member images of Gabrielle

There are no member images of Gabrielle yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Gabrielle