Viking (2017)

HouseCreed
Parent CompanyCreed

About Viking

The company say:

Viking, a fiery men’s fragrance that bottles the fearless spirit of boundless exploration for the modern man who goes against the grain. Inspired by the incredibly crafted longships, a centerpiece of the Viking Age and one of the greatest design feats of the ninth century. A symbol of voyage and undeniable perseverance, longships were carefully designed for the skilled seaman who embodied unbridled determination to conquer. Viking marks the brand’s first major men’s scent since the introduction of the cult best-selling Aventus in 2010.

Reviews of Viking

This is a real missed opportunity by Creed unfortunately an indication of their arrogance. The reasons are : This could be one the best ever fresh masculine scents. Citrus does not really make something fresh. Who wants to go around smelling of oranges (albeit rotten with Hermes) or lemons or even the latest fad Yuzu (btw if you like Yuzu then Loewe 7 Natural is one of the best and cheapest). In hot weather citrus just does not cut it, is not imaginative and makes it obvious what you are trying to do. Most citrus scents are really unisex even they are sold as masculine. No mistaking Creed Viking as unisex that's for sure. It is not citrus despite the ingredient list. But it is challenging. When you first spray it on it is fresh but at the same time very discordant. I am not sure what it is. Perhaps the lemon and pink pepper? Nobody who has smelt this on me likes it at all. This does fade over time but still remains there. After half an hour if you don't get too close you can minimise the discord and just enjoy this wonderful masculine freshness maybe due to the vetiver peppermint and pepper which everyone loves on me. Why on earth Creed could not have done the obvious and just produced this wonderful smell. Why do they think we need to suffer for their art? Are we not the customers? This is the olfactory equivalent of Chris Bangle who ruined BMW with those awful challenging shapes unfortunately neutering excellent cars.

I have bought a much larger decant trying to see if I can get used to it but I have found my current favourite of fresh masculine fragrances: Frederick Malle French Lover. A terrible name for a truely outstanding fragrance. Masculine and fresh. And unique. Done.

Projection is moderate
Longevity is moderate to good.

3/5. Could have been a masterpiece. True greatness O Creed Nose starts from humility with self awareness of how good you are and a desire to serve your customers not to mold your customers to your whims.
28th November, 2017
Definitely thought it had cinnamon and cloves in the opening while my wife said she smelled mint. I got the mint a little later but saw spearmint in the notes when I checked it, so she was right. Later in the drydown, it did feel very barbershop and like my Old Spice-scented shampoo, which I think smells great and nothing like actual Old Spice.

Great performance on my skin. Lasted all day from only a small sample and kept catching wafts of it all day.
22nd November, 2017
The first two notes I got out of this was mint and sandalwood. About 5 minutes later i got a citrus note which seemed to morph into a slight green note. A lot of mixed opinions about this one but i actually think Viking is pretty good. The price at the moment is another thing. 7.5/10
16th November, 2017
bejahu Show all reviews
I tried it on two different occasions. My unfortunate conclusion: Creed Viking is interesting as a niche fragrance, but it does not smell good.

The fragrance opens with a disagreeable and discordant clash of mint, bergamot and pepper. I was surprised by how inharmoniously the top notes collide with one another to create a confusing melange that assaults the olfactory senses. Fortunately, this disappointment of an opening fades away to a neutral smelling aquatic/woody bass that has decent longevity, but dismal projection.

The dry down is ok, but that dreadful opening is a deal breaker for me. I could never imagine myself wanting to smell like that.
08th November, 2017
I wasn't expecting much from this due to the usual low rating comments people make when a big launch is made. I'm glad I went into this with a low expectation because to me this is a huge suprise and a thoroughly original creation. What a strange smell at first sniff ..my girlfriend said I smell like a swimming pool straight off the bat. I could smell a heavy dose of ambergris in this ..and I do get a sort of resemblance to green Irish tweed but this is full on cold weather beach air..you get a slight sweet smell as it develops and then it settles into a sexy masculine retro type vibe with the sandlewood and patchouli. You can really smell the quality in this as well , it seemed to last a good while until the next day, like aventus I could smell it on my hand still. So for me what we have is an aquatic with a few twists and turns I haven't come across in any other fragrances of this genre before. Looking forward to reading the more trained nosed reviews on here ..good or bad.
03rd November, 2017
I can honestly say that I've never smelled anything like Viking's topnotes, which is saying a lot. There's clearly mint, but everything else comes together to form a smell I'm having a hard time describing. It's definitely grainy, like wheat or oats, but more like noodles. It also reminds me of the smell of tofu, simultaneously grainy, vegetal, and somehow meaty. There's also greens - sharp lemongrass and something that hints at onions, but green and fresh and not gross. It all comes together to smell like big plate of pad thai noodles topped with a peppermint candy cane.

So does it work? I'm inclined to say no because the peppermint is weirdly out of sync with everything else, but it's kept me utterly fascinated, so I can imagine this ultimately winning me over, given time.

The real unfortunate part is the drydown. After the grains and mint and greens fade, I'm left with Creed's trademark mix of aquatics and woody chemicals, which I've learned to appreciate via Aventus. Unfortunately, it passes through a cheap, horrid "woody amber" mall phase before landing on dark greens - piney vetiver and grassy patchouli resembling a modern aquatic take on a chypre base.

So, deeply interesting topnotes, but with awkward mint, a very Creed middle, a terrible cheap-smelling part, and ultimately a classic but unremarkable base. I think I'm going to vote neutral, because there's enough here that I don't like that I just can't give it a full-on thumbs-up, but there's a lot of interest here. Definitely worth a sniff.
05th October, 2017

Add your review of Viking

Shop for Viking products online

Search Amazon for Viking

Member images of Viking

There are no member images of Viking yet. Why not be the first?