Viking (2017)

HouseCreed
Parent CompanyCreed

About Viking

The company say:

Viking, a fiery men’s fragrance that bottles the fearless spirit of boundless exploration for the modern man who goes against the grain. Inspired by the incredibly crafted longships, a centerpiece of the Viking Age and one of the greatest design feats of the ninth century. A symbol of voyage and undeniable perseverance, longships were carefully designed for the skilled seaman who embodied unbridled determination to conquer. Viking marks the brand’s first major men’s scent since the introduction of the cult best-selling Aventus in 2010.

Reviews of Viking

I LOVE Viking.

It's not a unique scent: Clive Christian's X is an example of another pleasant peppery-citrus scent that I really enjoy. But overall, Creed's Viking really smells fresh, bright, and pleasant to wear.

From start to finish, Viking is chock full of fancy pink pepper goodness, pairing nicely in the initial spray-on with the bergamot and lemon to create an enduring citrus plus pepper combination, accented by rose and mint. The base is an unpretentious, basic vetiver-patchouli-lavanderish foundation where the characteristic pepper-citrus lingers, though in a more muted fashion.

I personally love Viking's bracing quality, echoing classsics like Old Spice with unmistakable masculinity.
For me (and I speak only for me), I can see myself getting a full bottle of this Creed scent because of how strongly it connects with me. I HIGHLY recommend a test spritz at a local high-end department store near you, or a decant sample online, in order to see if Viking connects with you.

08th September, 2018
Creed Viking (2017) is the long-awaited follow-up to Aventus (2010), and awaited with baited breath for many of the cult who follow the latter. Sadly, Viking will not only disappoint them, but anyone who paid the steep $500 sticker price for the stuff upon release. Before I go further, I will say that Viking is a GOOD scent, and enjoyable, but has the style, longevity, projection, and attitude of a late 80's through early 2000's fougère, sitting alongside designers like Yves Saint Laurent Jazz (1988), Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme (1993), American Crew Classic Fragrance (year unknown, likely late 90's) and Cabaret de Grès Pour Homme (2004). Viking even smells like it could be another scent ghost-composed by friend of Creed Pierre Bourdon, much like Green Irish Tweed (1985), and Bois du Portugal (1987), since it bears such a remarkable resemblance to the aforementioned Grès scent, which was composed by Bourdon too. Now before anyone gets up in arms, this doesn't smell like an ape job of Cabaret, or any of the above scents, but it's in that same semi-fresh/semi-soapy fougère vein that fell out of favor long before these kind of scents finally stopped getting made. All this begs the question if Creed does actually use any demographic studies when they make their fragrances, because while they don't seem very artisinal, it does feel like Olivier Creed throws darts at a board covered in fragrance genres past and present when he decides to launch something, then just gussies it up to be a rich boy's interpretation of whatever style he's chosen. Such is definitely the case here. The puzzling thing is why this was chosen as the successor to Aventus, which for better or worse, was so new and different at the time, it generated the huge cult following we're forced to endure here on this very forum, since Viking is a fougère style that fits in better with it's legacy fans than it's current ones, unless that's who this actually targets.

Viking opens with bergamot, lavender, lemon, and pink pepper. It's very familiar designer/commercial late 20th century fougère even from this onset, and it's very nice, but that's it. Dark Bulgarian rose shows it's face in the middle, but gets buried in the lemony top note and pepper, plus is joined by a mint note that further destroys it, making almost a dry geranium ghost note in process with the way the mint and pepper play with the rose. It's funny with the way such expensive ingredients blended in such a way end up reaching the same conclusion as a grocer's health and beauty aisle brand, since at this stage Viking bears the most resemblance to American Crew, but a slight fruity soapiness enters the middle phase to bring out my comparison to Pierre Bourdon's Grès scent. The base of vetiver, sandalwood (the real creamy kind, not the Australian scratch), patchouli, coumarin, and some trace oakmoss finish this off nice and quiet, green, and clean. Viking isn't spicy or virile like it's name suggests, and I get nothing even remotely barbarian in tone about the stuff, but that's okay. Creed already flogged Napolean's ghost to death so they needed to reach further back into time. I wonder if this was originally commissioned by Leif Erikson in celebration of him setting foot in the new world and founding Vinland? I better not give Creed ideas, or they'll have to retroactively extend the family tree several generations before James Creed in order to make this narrative work. Viking is a plain stew made from expensive ingredients, blended in a way that makes it remarkably conventional and downmarket in style for something from a brand people like to rub in your face to show how "alpha" or "ballin'" they are (yuck), which again sort of reaffirms my suspicion that this was more a nod to the old-school Creed fans who clutch their bottles of Vétiver (1948) and look at Aventus like it's made of kryptonite.

Nothing really jumps out at me as "this is really opulent and rich", and I swear if you walked up wearing this and asked me what this was, I'd figure you were just wearing some classic 90's fougère you picked up for a good price at Ross. No offense to Olivier Creed or Creed fans here. Once again, this is a GOOD scent, but with stuff in this price range, I expect to be wowed, because I know I can have this experience from literally dozens of other fragrances that sell for a tenth of what this does, and that's not even taking into account discontinued or other nice ranges folks. The barbershop fougère has been done to death in aromatic, vanillic, soapy, fruity, and fresh forms for decades from Avon all the way up to big players like Yves Saint Laurent, so if somebody with the reputation of Creed is going to step into this arena, they're going to need to deliver something at least on the level of Green Irish Tweed, which nobody had done before at the time. Creating a plain-spoken albeit comfortable fougère is fine if that's something Creed wants to do, but charging the same premium for it that they do their much more sophisticated and distinctive blends is just wrong, and that's why I struggle even to give a neutral here, even though I like the stuff. I guess if you're already the kind of guy that snaps up whatever Creed puts out, this is no big deal, but Viking is definitely not contemporaneous with 2017, let alone Creed's past notoriety for highbrow takes on classic genres, before it began moving into younger styles to attract the nouveau riche with stuff like Millésime Impérial (1995), Himalaya (2002), and Virgin Island Water (2007). Bottom line here is Viking is a mature blue collar drugstore fougère sold in a $500 bottle. It's a good deal if you can rub away that zero on the end.
03rd September, 2018
I see alot ot mixed reviews for viking and I understand why some people are unimpressed with it upon its first wearing but trust me when I say it keep wearing it. I wasnt a huge fan initially but after the third time wearing it I've really come to appreciate this fragerance for what it is. It basically to me boils down to just a few notes. Initially you get a blast of clove and peppermint they die down to a smooth smokey ambergris finish not unlike a lot of creeds. I think this is a nice scent for fall and winter but wouldn't recommend it for warm weather.It is just a little heavy for that. Is it the aventus killer everyone was hoping. No. It definitely isnt, but it's still a nice fragerance but may not be worth the price to some however I still like it and may even pick up a bottle when my 10ml decant is gone. Hopefully by that time some discounters will get some bottles and the price plummets. All in all I'd say 7.5 out of 10
04th August, 2018
This smells honestly like a niche version of Pino Silvestre, with more of a spearmint note in it. The opening is somewhat similar to Acqua di Parma's Colonia Club. It smells like a cold, minty fougere with tons of greenery but also somewhat spicy Italian herbs. Projection is subtle however while longevity is also moderate at about 6 hours. It's nice but Pino Silvestre can be had for $20 with a very similar scent.

28th July, 2018
Stardate 20180519:

There is an accord (rose, patch and maybe ambergris) that Viking borrowed from Spice and Wood which in turn was borrowed from Voleur de Roses. I love that accord.
Viking starts spicy up top (cloves and pepper) but mellows down in an hour with the help of that accord.

One of the better ones from Creed (which is not saying much) but I will stick to my Voleur.
19th May, 2018 (last edited: 21st May, 2018)
This is the definition of average.
26th April, 2018

Add your review of Viking

Shop for Viking products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Viking