Mortel (2017)

HouseCire Trudon
PerfumerYann Vasnier

About Mortel

The company say:

Skins heat up against one another, placing sensuality at the heart of Mortel; more, frankincense, myrrh and benzoin reveal the erotic spell of pure Cistus.

Mortel fragrance notes

Reviews of Mortel

Incredibly beautiful incense fragrance. Black Pepper shines in the beginning, but is blended in such a way that it doesn't dominate. The Olibanum and Myrrh are magnificently mixed with the Cedar and are the main parts of my enjoyment. There are spices as well, but Mortel is amazingly soft for an incense fragrance. Unfortunately, it is a little too soft. This would be 5 stars all the way if it wasn't for the weak longevity. I only have a dabber sample though, so perhaps it performs better when sprayed. Still, I love this one and really appreciate what CIre Trudon has done with the resinous goodness of Frankincense and Myrrh here...bravo!
03rd January, 2018
An expert candlemaker, Cire Trudon have given us the scent of... candle wax and incense. A bit predictable, but it must be said: It's been done beautifully. (Whether we needed another church incense scent is another story...)

The first 10 minutes are glorious: Before it all settles into a very clean and pure church incense, you get this unique blast of an Italian amaro (think Ramazotti or Cynar) mixed with beeswax. Heavenly, and unique. But just 10 minutes of that is not enough. Still, a thumbs up.
23rd December, 2017 (last edited: 28th December, 2017)
The opening moment of Mortel on my skin, is dominated by the bracing earthy spiciness of black pepper, flanked by the warmth of pimento and the nutty roundness of nutmeg. The spices are hard to miss, but they are not sharp or aggressive at all. Instead, they induce a fuzzy warmth to the opening of Mortel.

During the first half hour, the frankincense and myrrh are already on the stage. But they're firmly wrapped in this warm cashmere shawl of spices, and don't have the aloof church incense vibe as CDG Avignon, Heeley Cardinal, etc. This fine-tuned warmth of spices manage to bring a human element to the otherwise cold frankincense and myrrh, without setting the resins on fire.

With time, the spices gradually loses the warmth and turn into an uplifting aromatic sheen over the cold resins. Complemented by this aromatic brightness, the frankincense and myrrh now fully display their shimmery, cool woodiness and date-like creaminess respectively. But again, they are never sharp as frankincense and myrrh sometimes can be. Instead, they form a diaphanous, pellucid skin scent of incense, cool but never aloof.

Mortel has a close-to-skin sillage almost right from the beginning, and it lasts around 6 hours on my skin. While I don't particularly mind its performance, I do agree that it's probably the weakest in this department among the five new releases of Trudon.

And this overall weak performance did impact my initial assessment. As I was smelling them together for the first time, Mortel was easily overwhelmed by its siblings and I didn't think much of it. It was until later, when I wore it on its own, that I started to grasp its lovely nuances.

While Mortel doesn't pack the same icy punch as CDG Avignon or Diptyque L'Eau Trois, it makes up for it by showing a tender heart. I especially appreciate its transition from earthy warmth to an aromatic coolness prompted by the spices, which feels like watching orange melt glass slowly cool down to a crystalline craft.

Although I suspect that fans of hardcore incense fragrances might find it a bit too soft, I do think Mortel is solidly made, and its "human (therefore mortel)" tenderness might even distinguish itself from other austere, cold-like-church-stone incense perfumes. I'd definitely recommend it as a more approachable incense fragrance.
08th December, 2017

Add your review of Mortel

Shop for Mortel products online

Shop for Mortel at online perfumeries

Member images of Mortel

There are no member images of Mortel yet. Why not be the first?